Headlights in the air ducts -anyone tried it?

Leatherneck

Registered
So I'm saving up for a Turbo right now and I've been playing around with the idea of buying a race fairing for the nose and cutting out the divider between the air ducts and turn signal and putting in a headlight on both sides. I would have to put new turn signals in and I would put them up in the mirror mounts and rewire it and so on.

BUT:

Before I go reinvent the wheel and everything checking out everything. Has anyone ever done this and have references to websites and so on? I'm looking to get a pair of headlights that are legitamate headlights and not those walmart especiale's.

So - Anyone tried this before?

Thanks-

Something like this for the headlights-

r6headlight.jpg

Minus the fact that this isnt a race type fairing - but the divider cut out

hayabusafairing.jpg

The reason why I want actual headlights is because I plan on putting in a HID kit and of course - To be different from everyone else ;)

i'm sure if you look hard enough you can find some that fit. a pair of lights from an older stratus may fit. also, you may consider jwspeaker.com, snag some of their smaller LED lights that are actually DOT approved headlights. very bright, very cool lights.

Only thing I've seen is light molded into the top of the fender. This I thought was pretty cool.

Yeah I saw the Halo's but I'm lookin for something that will actually serve as real legitamate headlights. I've seen the running light sticky and I dont think I'm going to find something that is small and compact like that but still have regular fittings for an HID kit.

This is probably what I will end up getting, something with all the OEM holes and mounts. And then just using my dremel to carefully grind away and make room for lights and then use a plastic solder for brackets on the back side to hold the lights in place.

This is from Airtech : SUZUKI GSX 1300 HAYABUSA 1999-06, GSX1300, fairings, fairing, race, drag bike, seat, airbox, turbo, lower, cowl, fender, extended, swingarm hugger, turbo, tail, windshield

gsx131c~1.jpg

Won't putting lights in where the air ducts are cut down considerably on how much air your bike gets ?
Or I guess since you are going turbo it won't matter ?

i don't know if i'd use "plastic weld" to hold in a headlight assembly.

Won't putting lights in where the air ducts are cut down considerably on how much air your bike gets ?
Or I guess since you are going turbo it won't matter ?

Yeah its not going to matter when I throw a turbo in, the airbox will be replaced by a smaller plenum box mounted over the throttle bodies so then theres no need for the ram air ducts.

And yeah I was checking the plastic weld out as well and that will be more for the secondary supporting brackets. I'm going to fashion a similar mount like the OEM headlight mount - Same mounting points anyways.

there is a guy local here that molded foglights with hid kit into the intake holes of his front race fairing, when i can catch him on the street i will get some pics for ya.

Something like this for the headlights-

r6headlight.jpg

Minus the fact that this isnt a race type fairing - but the divider cut out

hayabusafairing.jpg

The reason why I want actual headlights is because I plan on putting in a HID kit and of course - To be different from everyone else ;)

i think when all buttoned up that will look so very cool dude:oldcool::thumbsup:

I think it will look really cool if you can find the lights that will match that contour. The race fairing being closed in the center looks nice on the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back