Headlight Cover Removal

bigc70

Registered
I'm in the process of doing an HID install and I somehow managed to get a screw stuck in the headlight cover :banghead: How do I remove the low-beam cover to get the screw?

Do you mean that you dropped a screw into the lens? If so, can't you use a magnet, or remove the lamp and shake it out.

Does this help?
DSC00718.jpg

This sux baaad...We finally have some nice weather here in Cleveland and I may not be able to ride this weekend because of this BS.... :banghead:

I think you can go in there with a small magnetic retrieval tool. Good luck with it. I dont want to be the one to ask, but how in gods name did that get it there?

I think you can go in there with a small magnetic retrieval tool. Good luck with it. I dont want to be the one to ask, but how in gods name did that get it there?

Yea I thnk you're right. I may have to just wait and go to the auto parts store in the AM and pick up some sort of magnetic retrieval tool.....

I wish I really knew...I was taking the low beam off and that screw was holding the little metal wire clamp (which holds the low beam in place). I took the screw off and it fell in :banghead: ... just my luck...

How difficult is it to remove the lamp? I looked through the repair manual and the instructions arent really clear.

Last edited:
I am not sure, When I did mine, I dont remember there being an opening all the way through to the lens. hmm you got me by the short hair. I cant believe you dont have one of those magnetic thingys. I have several different shapes lengths and sizes. hell I even have a straight home made one, they are super handy, especially if you have huge gorilla like hands such as myself.

You need to take the nose off of the bike. Once it's off the bike there are 6 screws that hold the lamp housing in place. You probably don't need to remove the lamp if you can shake the screw out with the nose off.

Just take your time and be careful this time around. You don't want to get it all back together and have this happen again. I would try the adjustable wand with the magnet on the end of it first.

Since it looks like it is in the very front, how about a rod with a small dab of silicone or caulk on it, wait until it dries a little so it doesn't smear and reach through the back and get it to "stick" to whatever you put on the stick. Done it many times. and the screw weighs almost nothing.........

Last edited:
I stopped at the auto parts store this morning and got a flexible rod, so hopefully I'll be able to get it out after work. Thanks for all of you help guys, wish me luck!

#1: You didn't have to mess with that screw at all, if you go look at the Blanca Granny blinder's thread, you'll see a close up of the lowbeam. That screw holds a clip that you just push in and move down. That screw only adjusts that amout of force holding the clip on.

#2: But, since you've done it...how about a straightneed close hanger with some good sticky tape wrapped around it. You ought to be able to fish it out....good luck. Last option if you have to remove it, go read the maintenance manual a sticky in the GENII forum....

You can remove it without taking the nose off. We did the same thing with Mojo's bike, it will work. You need the extendable magnetic tool. Wish I could find the pic.

Found it.

Mojo Magic 008.jpg

You can remove it without taking the nose off. We did the same thing with Mojo's bike, it will work. You need the extendable magnetic tool. Wish I could find the pic.

Found it.

Cool. I got a similar one from the auto parts store this morning on the way to work. The only difference is the one I got is the flexible/"snake" style...but same concept. Thanks again for all of your help. Wish me lots of luck! hopefully I'll be able to finish the install after work and be riding with my HID's by tonight!

Back