Headlight/Bulb replacement

billyerds01

Registered
I have heard different opinions on changing the headlight bulb.

Which is the more simple way to change it....remove the panels above the front fender or removing the speedo gauge cluster?

Speedo cluster.

Better access , and it opens up places you never clean too.

Took me 45 minutes start to finish a month ago.

I'm using those Silverstars replacement bulbs, but they do not last very long.

I found it easier to access the bulbs from the bottom of the cowl............. but adjustment of the bulbs, for me, was made easier removing various top panels. (windshield, plastics inside fairing.) I left the gauges in place though.

I take the panel above the fender off to replace bulbs and adjust. No problems getting at anything for me, and I have big hands.
I've been through 4 low beam bulbs now and can change one in about 15 minutes start to finish.

Be very careful not to let go of the screw holding the low beam "retainer" in. I did this while installing HID's last week and the screw fell into the head lamp assembly. I had to take the entire nose off all for one little screw, quite a pain in the business.

Be very careful not to let go of the screw holding the low beam "retainer" in. I did this while installing HID's last week and the screw fell into the head lamp assembly. I had to take the entire nose off all for one little screw, quite a pain in the business.
?? what screw? I have swapped HID's in a couple times and do not recall any screw...

I pulled the speedo cluster myself.. only takes a few minutes and I could see what I was doing..

We did that in Eureka once. Take you one of those little magnets on the stick, the kind with the swivel head, and they will pull right out. :laugh:

Speedo cluster.

Better access , and it opens up places you never clean too.

Took me 45 minutes start to finish a month ago.

I'm using those Silverstars replacement bulbs, but they do not last very long.
Odd, for $20 bulbs you'd think the Silverstars would last. I picked up 6500k xenon bulbs from some Ebay seller for $10/set in Feb '08 and they're still going strong after a year & a half of use. I still have 1 of each bulb new in case the 1st ones go out, but so far they're fine.

I pulled the bottom plastic off the front fairing. It's a tight reach in there but faster than pulling the gauge cluster or entire fairing. 5 push pins and the bottom cover comes off and gives you a somewhat awkward position to access the bulbs but it can be done in about 15 minutes total from start to finish.

Found that the socket needed to be replaced. Replaced the bulb with a new one. Although I wanted a blueish tint, I got more of a white light. Its all good. I forgot what kind of bulb I put in. it was awhile ago and just wanted to say thanks.:bowdown:

Yes it's an old thread... But it was very helpful to a complete newb like me. I pulled the guage which was enough to get the job done. Because I wanted to adjust the angle of both bulbs. I also pulled the bottom plate. I was done in a bit over an hour even with cleaning the areas you don't always get to.
Oh and using PLEDGE does work wonders.

Back