Headlight adjustment questions

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
I am bringing her (05LE) home 2 weeks from Saturday and I can't wait. The first thing I am going to do is put the sylvania bulbs in it.

I read the instructions for adj the headlight, here is my question. How far out in front of the bike is a good distance? I never did this on my 04 and have since decided it would have been a good thing to do.

Thanks

Don

When I adjusted mine, I just did it by 'sight'. I found a dark street that wasn't traveled and started adjusting. I made sure to sit on the bike after making an adjustment since my weight will change the aim of the headlight. I fiddled around with it a few times and even rode around just to get a 'feel' for where it was aimed.

I didn't want the 'hot spot' of the headlight to be so far in front of me that it wouldn't do any good, nor did I want it too low. I just found something that looked good. I then rode back into town and purposely rode thru traffic. No one has flashed their lights at me suggesting that it's too bright.

Hope this helps...

Take the two inner black dash boards off (4mm allen bolts)

This exposes the area behind the instrument cluster.

Loosen bolts on bottom left and right of instrument cluster. You can now pull instrument cluster forward to see adjuster bolts plainly (gold color). one is up/down other is left/right. set for highbeam (lower bulb) and set for lowbeam (upperbulb).

Goto a flat surface with a large wall (side of building in parking lot).

pull all the way up to the wall and sit on bike. Front wheel touching wall. Have buddie put a "PLUS" sign with masking tape across "HOT SPOT" of headlight on wall thru center left/right and up/down.

No back up 50 feet and check hot spot against tape. High or low? pull instrument cluster forward toward ass of bike and adjust angle of beam onto tape.

Back up to 75 foot if HID light.

somewhere between 50/75 foot on tape should be very good. Use a tape measure if possible and take crayon or paint and mark line on pavement to comeback too each time for better accuracy.

Put instrument cluster back in. Go test. Re adjust. Reinstall panels. go ride

JD

My stock light pointed straight at the ground. After 31 cranks on the adjuster the HID now lights up the entire road.

Strange how all our bikes have badly set headlights..

Mine was pointing nearly at the front wheel..

Got HID now....Whooo Hooo..
biggrin.gif

I installed the Sylvania Silverstar bulb and adjusted the low beam up and what a difference it made. If I had it to do over, this would be the first mod I would have done. Huge difference for $20.

Back