Headlamps Not Working ...

Kento-Moto

Hayabusa Immortal
Donating Member
Registered
Well I havent had to post a question in a very long time BUT, the ol 2008 Busa has developed a headlamp hit and miss issue. A couple of times on a Sept road trip I noticed no headlamps high or low beam ( switchback running lights are working fine not connected to the headlamps in any way ) Tonight I changed bulbs but no luck, checked connections, fuses... i plug in new bulb, light comes on for 1 second then out, not blown. I shut the bike off. Wipe her down, do a couple more checks... I decide to just start and run to let her warm up in the drive way as I havent started her in a week or so... I notice both lamps are on, YAY! I ride down the street and back, turn her off, turn her on again, no lights, wiggle wires, check connections again, start again, runs fine, still no headlamps.

Any thoughts buckaroo's?

20161114_131459.jpg

btw 30K miles, a few extras, Radar D, ACC plug, switch back running lights/ turn signals, Stabel Air Horn, Heated grips none of which are connected or run off the headlamp switch

You need to test the wires coming out out of the switch housing under the dash inners.
There is a white and yellow that go to the head light harness in a light natural colored plug that is for the head light, and front signals!

Yup, but blue bright not stock bulbs. Have been working fine for many years.

I know silly question, Is the plug inserted firmly in back of cluster?

Sounds like you have checked all the boxes.

Just one question when you said you checked all the connections did you only check to make sure they were tight or did you pull them apart to check for corrosion? if there is corrosion I like "electramotive" to clean up terminals.

I also wonder if the crimp connections are frayed too much. some times they are an issue. case in point; my temp gauge bounces from normal to low temperature readings every now and again. I think the issue is the crimp connector not making good contact. I could rewire in an attempt to correct the issue but anot external reading shows a normal running temp and fans kick on normally so it doesn't bother me.

Long winded I know but, I just wanted to illustrate my point.

You need to test the wires coming out out of the switch housing under the dash inners.
There is a white and yellow that go to the head light harness in a light natural colored plug that is for the head light, and front signals!
Do you have 12 volts coming out of these wires? or at the sockets them selves?

Tested more stuff today, didnt use a volt meter but used my 12 v test light on the fuse box ( both sides and bottom of the fuse box...), lamp connections, high / low switch, I found something at the Gixxer forum says a guy found his 05 1k short was in the starter switch, you know the part that cuts the lamps while you start for more power to the starter ... anyway going to have a tech check it on Friday. Thanks for everyones help. - Kento

Update ... Ok, back on Dec 24th my friend an MMI grad and does my Busa stuff when I need help found it was the starter lamp kill switch, the part inside the starter switch that kills the lamps so it wont draw as much juice when the bike is starting... anyway the new complete starter switch needs to be replaced $180!!! Or you can splice the two leads below and you lamps will stay on while starting, just need to make sure you have a good strong battery = No Problem! ;-)

Pics below may help some of you folks that might have this issue some day. Wires + Yellow with white stripe and Orange with white stripe - Kento

The wire harness is under the left upper panel near the fuses.

20170302_164954.jpg

20170302_165610.jpg

Oops, I meant Yellow wire with white stripe and the Orange wire with red stripe.

Back