Heading to the UK & Germany

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
so I found out that I've been selected for a project that will have me in parts of the UK and western germany several times over the next few months.

I'm super way excited b/c I've never been and *always* wanted to go to Europe. My problem is that, unless something changes, I'm going to be leaving in 2wks or less to go.

I'm open to suggestions, one concern is cellular phones, whats the best route to go with one there.

Another one is what to do. The current plan is to fly into London, then drive something like 2hrs north to a town, I think Huntingdon, for a week then off to Germany (Daun).

Anyone with suggestions please let me know. I dont know the exact work/travel itinerary yet but looking like oct 8-20 for the first trip then several others through dec.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Blackberry makes a world model phone that will work anywhere if you have the right card for it. I am sure there are others that will do the same.

Don

You can get an unlocked GSM phone very easily and rather cheap once in Europe. Heck you could probably get one off E-bay pretty quick. Pay as you go type plans are very easy to get and convenient you could get a Vodaphone sim that will probably cover you everywhere you go. Getting around in England is easy because of the mass transit system being so well developed, same goes for Western Europe. When you get to Germany, you can tell any Taxi driver to take you to a good Sauna Club if you need relaxation.

Not sure how much time you will spend in England but like I said above. Getting around is easy and the driving is no big deal. You will surely be taken on a Pub Lunch and a Pub Crawl while you are there. Remember that the beer is sold in Pints and is twice as strong (at least) as US draft beer so you'll get buzzed fast if you try to keep up with the locals. All of the best food in England is not English, rather it is Indian, Chinese, Thai, Lebanese, Turkish and others. Stay away from Mexican food there because you will probably be disappointed with it if you are a regular consumer of the American variety. Also, food is bland and mildly seasoned, even typically hot stuff as we know it in the USA is weak in England. The English don't tend to handle spicy food too well. Do go to the local High Street (english for main street) and get a good cod and chips, with mayo and malt vinegar. Get a doner kebab after the Pub Crawl to soak up the Beer too. Trust me you won't regret it. If you get a chance to go to London, make sure you are ready to spend a lot of money because restaurants are typical tourist traps and overpriced. The Exchange rate is bad since the Pound Sterling is around two US dollars to One Pound.

You will love Germany! Awsome place. When you come home, you will then realize just how dirty the U.S. is.

Hey Zuk....

I am heading out to Donauwerth Germany next Saturday...I am flying from here in MS to Atlanta then about 10 hrs to Munich. Then from there about an hour North to Donauwerth..I am going over for some training with my company...I will be staying in Donauwerth until thanksgiving, coming home for that week of thanksgiving, then going back until December 20th....Let me know if you might be anywhere close....I'm kinda looking forward to it 'cause I probably wouldn't get the opportunity otherwise, looking to maybe try some skiing and see some things...just wish I could take the 'Busa with me!!! I'd like to terrorize the AutoBahn a little bit!!! Be careful out there-Chris

100_5121copy.jpg

feel free to come and visit the cotswolds isnt far from london about 3hrs drive.if you need a bed you can use the spare room in our flat as a base point.
beerchug.gif

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I'm going to find out tomorrow what the details are for sure on the trip.

Chris, I'm all for going skiing! You'll be about 4hrs south of me but I'm sure we can figure something out.

Probusa, man o man, I might just have to take you up on that one!
cool.gif
As I mentioned I'm waiting to hear the details but would love to meet you and get a chance to hang out in london some. I have some former coworkers that were north of london and scattered all over europe, maybe we can get a big group out somewhere fun for a weekend
beerchug.gif

I can fly in or out before/after the rest of the group so once I have the details I'll be PM'ing you guys to set up things.
cool.gif

cool.gif

relax brotha and have a good time. it's not gonna be as hard as you think. Driving is a little tricky at first. get an automatic. driving on the wrong side and a manual is a PITA lol. have fun. get a couple of maps and you'll be good to go. you'll find out the people are friendly and willing to help.
I've spent several years over there. Love to go with ya. to bad you can't take your bike. have fun brotha and remember the beer is stronger
beerchug.gif

(rockadaous @ Sep. 26 2007,07:25) relax brotha and have a good time.  it's not gonna be as hard as you think.  Driving is a little tricky at first.  get an automatic.  driving on the wrong side and a manual is a PITA lol.  have fun.  get a couple of maps and you'll be good to go.  you'll find out the people are friendly and willing to help.
I've spent several years over there.  Love to go with ya.  to bad you can't take your bike.  have fun brotha and remember the beer is stronger  
beerchug.gif
hey Roc! Thx man, I'm not currently planning on driving, the rest of the team has that covered but if I find someone stupid ... err brave enough to rent me a nice lambo or ferarri in germany .... oh yeah
super.gif

Catch a MAC flight over, I'll be at one of the USAF bases in germany, we can all go hit the slopes
cool.gif

germany is the bomb. man your out of it. MAC has been gone for years lol
We're known as AMC now. Did you mean stairs lol red light district. I'm sure someone will mention it....

have a good time bro and take plenty of pics. be careful of the speed cameras

Zuk, my son has a German cell phone... I forget the brand right now, but I'll ask if he wants to come off it. Then you just have to get the service.

cool
cool.gif
I just bought a gsm phone from ebay, hoping it gets to raleigh before my flight monday. Hows things in sunny FL?

I tell ya, the last minute planning I get stuck with in the US isnt bad but finding out today at 1130am that I'm definitely going and need to book travel... for almost a month... little harder to do
sad.gif

Hopefully all this stuff shows up, otherwise I'll have it for my next 3-4 trips
cool.gif

cool.gif

I was born in Birkenhead, and my wife's Mom is in Munich, we're heading over Dec, 21st through Jan, 9th. If you get a chance to watch some Football (real Football) even a practice game, you won't be disappointed.
all_coholic.gif

freebies are great, the one I was getting from the devil ... err ebay isnt going to show up before I leave monday afternoon.

I'd love to get that one from ya, just gotta nail down how to get it.
cool.gif
You still have my cell #?

Have fun Brian, I was in Munich in 1996 and it was beautiful. Dont forget to take lots of pics and go visit a castle or 2.
smile.gif

(PDBusa @ Sep. 27 2007,17:47) Brian be safe. Oh, and send some beer back will ya?
super.gif
what kinda you want? I hear they have a few more options than in the US
beerchug.gif

Back