Heading to the Northwest

shortBoarder

on the pegs + into the sun
Donating Member
Registered
I'm riding with a Pashnit tour of the Sierras at the beginning of August, and I think I'm going to keep heading north once the tour is over. I'll start around Placerville CA and eventually make my way to Seattle...the only thing that I know I want to see between those two towns is Crater Lake......so....

I'm looking for any advice on routes from those who ride up there (I've never taken the Busa into Oregon or WA). Ideally, I'm looking for:

-twisties. lots of twisties.
-since it'll be August, anything that runs along a higher elevation (cooler temps) would be great.
- back roads. Interstates and major highways are to be avoided at all costs, regardless of how many extra miles it takes.

Show me whatcha got, Northwesties
wink.gif

This is what I've mapped out so far, at least for getting to Seattle. I'm sure I'll squeeze a ride in through the Cascades once I'm there
smile.gif

Day 1 (301 miles)
1/ Starting in Chester, CA, west on the 36 to the 89 thru Lassen Nat'l Park.
2/ Exit Lassen on to the 89, heading north, to Bartle, CA.
3/ In Bartle, turn onto FSR15 (Harris Springs Rd/Davis Rd/Red Rock Rd) to Macdoel, CA.
4/ North on the 97 into OR, either stopping in Klamath Falls or staying in the park at Crater Lake (via the 140 to West Side Road to the 62 to the park).

Day 2 (~350 miles)
1/ Starting at the North entrance to Crater Lake, go east on the 138 to North 97. (*possible alternate route below)
2/ Take 97 up to the 58, to Westfir.
3/ From Westfir, take North Fork Road (Aufderheide Scenic Road) to the 126.
4/ Take the 126 north to Detroit.
5/ From Detroit, head north on NFD 46/57/58 (Breitenbush Rd - Abbott Rd), eventually making my way to Rt. 26.
6/ North on 26 to the 35, then collapsing in Hood River for the night.

Day 3 (290 miles)
1/ Cross into WA at Hood River, heading west on the 14 to Wind River Road / NFD 25.
2/ Take the Spirit Lake loop (NF99)
3/ Back on NF25 north to the 12 east.
4/ Enter Rainier Nat'l Park, and head west on Stevens Canyon toward Elbe.
5/ From there, its a series of roads to my final destination in Seattle.

Any recommendations/warnings etc? The roads that I'm not 100% sure about about are the FS roads in OR - what condition are they in etc. I don't mind goat trails, but gravel and dirt get tiresome after a few minutes.

Looks like a great route shortboarder. I can't give you first hand info on the roads thru the Cascades, but I have been working on my '09 annual ride plan, and that is a distinct possibility.

Here's what I've found so far;
*North Fork road (Aufderheide) is a must do.
*126 should be fun, and very scenic. (side note: 242 into Sisters is closed until '08)
*22 to Detroit should be great too.
*nf-46 (Clackamas river road) should be a hoot...just don't ride too hard..sounds like some areas can take you off guard....some areas of non-perfect pavement and such.
*57-58 are good as well...just keep following the signs to 26 which will include a left hand turn on Skyline.
*26 is a fairly major north-south hywy, so no issues there. 35 should be fun...looks like it has some great curves..
*Day three looks stellar.

All in all, looks like a great trip!

What is the plan for the return trip? If you have the time to detour a bit farther east and try the other side of Oregon....let me know. I'll have some kickazz roads for ya.

Rich has my #. Call if I can help ya in any way.

Ride safe!

Kento-Moto and I may have to meet you in Chester CA. There is an alternate route starting in Quincy via Hwy 70 - 89 - 36. We'll get back to you on that.

BTW: Lassen peak is a volcano at 14000'.....the upper lake was still frozen a few weeks ago (thats Kento's ride). Your coming to God's country, our back yard  
wink.gif

Kento_Lassen.jpg

Thanks for tips guys!

I'm still working out my final routes (particularly Oregon) but all-in-all this looks like it's gonna be fun
tounge.gif

mjn - I'm still working on my return trip - not quite sure what day I'm going to start heading back. On the return trip my wife will be following (as best she can) in the car, but I might leave her to the joys of I-5 while I thrash it out on some back road
biggrin.gif

cosmo - def. love to meet up! I went thru Lassen a couple of months ago for the first time, which is a primary reason I'm going back
wink.gif

cosmo - def. love to meet up! I went thru Lassen a couple of months ago for the first time, which is a primary reason I'm going back [/Quote]
I literally live across the street from Lassen National Forest (its HUGE). Since your coming in the middle of fire season I would sugest you be prepared to alter your route at a moments notice. Its been a bad year with no good news in sight.

Sorry, I have to give a thumbs down to Hwy 97. It's not curvy, patrolled alot and around the lakes this time of year, you will be stopping every 100 ft to clean off the midges that will pelt your bike and visor (I lived in Klamath for 10 years, sold my Bandit because summer months sucked for riding).

I would plan on getting to Ashland and taking Hwy 66 (Greensprings, super fun road, lots of curves, etc.) up to Hiatt Lake area, crossing over to Dead Indian & then Hwy 140 around Lake of the Woods; then taking the road through Rocky Point out and around and back into Hwy 97 close to Crater Lake.

Hey when you are up this way, give me a holler, my husband and I might be convinced to show you the way!
smile.gif

Can't speak to the Oregon stuff but once you cross at Hood River the run to the East along the Columbia is awesome! You can go back up through Goldendale and Yakima. If it was me I would cut over to George at Ellensburg and go up the river via Quincy and over HWY 2 or continue north up to 20 and go over the North Cascades. Anything to stay away from the interstates is a good idea!
beerchug.gif

(MsMeow @ Jul. 23 2007,12:44) I would plan on getting to Ashland and taking Hwy 66 (Greensprings, super fun road, lots of curves, etc.) up to Hiatt Lake area, crossing over to Dead Indian & then Hwy 140 around Lake of the Woods; then taking the road through Rocky Point out and around and back into Hwy 97 close to Crater Lake.

Hey when you are up this way, give me a holler, my husband and I might be convinced to show you the way!
smile.gif
thanks msMeow - I'm taking your advice and changing the route a bit:

- after riding the Bartle-Macdoel section, I'll head south on the 97 to county road 12, get on the I-5 just south of Yreka.

- Take the I-5 into Oregon to Siskiyou / Old Siskiyou Road to the 66

- Ride the 66 into Klamath Falls.

It only adds 30 miles to the route, and although it breaks my no interstate rule, curves are curves
smile.gif

I'm not sure I'll be able to hit the Hyatt Lake/Dead Indian bit (the next day is a very long back road twistie-fest to Hood River)--but if you had to choose, would you do the 66 across OR take the 66 to the Hyatt Lake road then meet up with Clover Creek which ends back at the 66 further east?

smile.gif

I feel the same way; I absolutely hate the freeway, but Hwy 66 is sooooooo worth the headache.

The Old Siskiyou Hwy is a great road as well, but be careful for gravel in the corners.

Enjoy and keep the rubber side down.

Thanks to everyone who helped out on the planning to get up there. Now for the next part...getting back!

Again, I'm looking for guidance on the Oregon roads. I've got a few side roads that I THINK are paved, but need some local wisdom...

My questionables are:
Day 1: Fishhawk Hwy + Timber Road South
Day 2: Suislaw River Road, County Rd 116, West Side Road / Powers Hwy, NFD33 + NFD 23

Here's what I've got:

Northwest Tour Part II: Heading Home (The Revenge)

Day 1: Seattle to Newport, OR

1/ I-5 South to Chehalis (gotta make some time)
2/ Rt. 6 West to South Bend, then onto the 101 South.
3/ 101 to Rt. 4, to Rt 401, then the 101 over the bridge into OR.
4/ From Astoria, OR take Rt. 202 south
5/ At Jewell, turn right onto Fishhawk Falls Hwy
6/ Fishhawk Hwy to Rt.26 East.
7/ Route 26 East to Timber Road South
8/ Timber Road South to Rt 6 West, to Tillamook
9/ At Tillamook, take 101S to Lincoln City / Kernville.
10/ At Kernville, exit the 101 onto the 229.
11/ Rt 229 to Rt. 20W, into Newport.

Day 2: Newport, OR to Grants Pass, OR

1/ 101S out of Newport to Waldport.
2/ In Waldport, take the Alsea Hwy (34) east, cutting across on Decker Road, down Bellfountain to Territorial Hwy.
3/ Territorial Hwy south to the 36 west.
4/ At Mapleton, turn onto the 126 East.
5/ At Austa, turn right onto Suislaw River Road.
6/ Suislaw River Road to Lorane, OR, then County Rd 116 to the 99 into Drain, OR.
7/ From Drain, take the 38 West to Reedsport.
8/ 101S into Coos Bay
9/ South of Coos Bay, take the 42 to Myrtle Point
10 / At Myrtle Point, take the West Side Road / Powers Hwy to Powers, OR
11/ Continue down NFD33 to NFD23
12/ NFD23 (Merlin-Galice Road) to Grants Pass. Collapse.

Day 3: Grants Pass, OR to Redding, CA

1/ Rt. 199 South to O'Brian, OR.
2/ From O'Brian, take Happy Camp Rd into Happy Camp, CA
3/ At Happy Camp, CA take Rt. 96 South to the 299 East into Redding.
(Maybe a offshoot here or there, depending how I'm feeling)

Day 4: Redding, CA to Mill Valley, CA

1/ A16 (Placer / Platina Road) to the 36.
2/ Rt. 36 west to Fortuna
3/ 101S to Leggett
4/ Rt 1 from Leggett to Mill Valley.

Day 5: Mill Valley to Home, via Santa Cruz Mts, Hwy 1, and the 101. Done it before, glad to do it again.

Not real sure on some of the other Oregon roads, but currently Hwy 199 has lots of construction sites, so expect delays and traffic (199 is patrolled heavily as well since its popular with the bikes especially along the river at 6 Corners).

(shortBoarder @ Jul. 23 2007,10:26) This is what I've mapped out so far, at least for getting to Seattle. I'm sure I'll squeeze a ride in through the Cascades once I'm there
smile.gif

Day 1 (301 miles)
3/ In Bartle, turn onto FSR15 (Harris Springs Rd/Davis Rd/Red Rock Rd) to Macdoel, CA.
4/ North on the 97 into OR, either stopping in Klamath Falls or staying in the park at Crater Lake (via the 140 to West Side Road to the 62 to the park).

Day 2 (~350 miles)
1/ Starting at the North entrance to Crater Lake, go east on the 138 to North 97. (*possible alternate route below)
5/ From Detroit, head north on NFD 46/57/58 (Breitenbush Rd - Abbott Rd), eventually making my way to Rt. 26.

Day 3 (290 miles)
1/ Cross into WA at Hood River, heading west on the 14 to Wind River Road / NFD 25.

Any recommendations/warnings etc?   The roads that I'm not 100% sure about about are the FS roads in OR - what condition are they in etc.  I don't mind goat trails, but gravel and dirt get tiresome after a few minutes.
Do you have Garmin software? I can send you some routes that we have done in OR, CA, and WA.

Good roads and lots of what your looking for too.

I have done them all.

^^yea, manatrader would have a much better idea of the westside roads in Oregon....it's been quite awhile since I've ridden over there....

Now the east side??  thats another topic all together.  I can steer you to some killer routes over here..

Whatever route you take, ride safe!

Oh, and I concur with MsMeow on hywy 97. As well as being heavily patrolled, it is a complete and total bore...

(shortBoarder @ Jul. 23 2007,10:26) This is what I've mapped out so far, at least for getting to Seattle. I'm sure I'll squeeze a ride in through the Cascades once I'm there
smile.gif

Day 1 (301 miles)

Day 2 (~350 miles)

Day 3 (290 miles)

Any recommendations/warnings etc?   The roads that I'm not 100% sure about about are the FS roads in OR - what condition are they in etc.  I don't mind goat trails, but gravel and dirt get tiresome after a few minutes.
For Day 1 may I suggest Hwy 70  I rode it 2 weeks ago, great road much better than Hwy 36.
On Harris Springs Road, watch out for the logging trucks there all over, the pavement conditions change several times and towards the top some gravel on the sides so keep in the middle, I really like that road all in all.

Day 2 Good route the road north out of Westfir had several small gravel sections in it last year only like 10 feet, but when you get up to the Cougar reservior area you will be on one of the best roads in Oregon, so good you'll want to turn around and do it again!
We did Forest Service Road 42 out of Detroit, but we where following the what we called the Angle of Death, some guy on a R-1 who knew the roads like the back of his hand. I know very stupid of us since we reached speeds that where just unthinkable on a small road like that. All I know is you better know where your going or you will end up lost up there, turns all over the place and not many of them marked.

On Day 3 you can not go around Mount Rainier the way you show, the road was washed out in the winter and still has not been fixed, at least not 2 weeks ago. If you want to see Rainier great but go to Paridise and then come back on Hwy 7, after you get through a nice little twisty section just beyond the small town of Alder you will make a right turn on to Hwy 161, it will take you right through the town Eatonville, about 1/2 mile North of the town make a right onto Orville Road East, it will bypass all the crazy lights on the roads ahead. Road will change names but just stay on the main road easy to do. You will come to a four way stop intersection several miles down the road, take another right still Orville Road follow this until you get to the stop sign at Hwy 162, take a left and follow it until you get to Hwy 410, to Hwy 167 to Seattle.

Good Route you will have a great time on it!

(shortBoarder @ Jul. 30 2007,13:18) Thanks to everyone who helped out on the planning to get up there. Now for the next part...getting back!

Again, I'm looking for guidance on the Oregon roads. I've got a few side roads that I THINK are paved, but need some local wisdom...

My questionables are:
Day 1: Fishhawk Hwy + Timber Road South
Day 2: Suislaw River Road, County Rd 116, West Side Road / Powers Hwy, NFD33 + NFD 23

Here's what I've got:

Northwest Tour Part II: Heading Home (The Revenge)

Day 1: Seattle to Newport, OR

1/ I-5 South to Chehalis (gotta make some time)
2/ Rt. 6 West to South Bend, then onto the 101 South.
3/ 101 to Rt. 4, to Rt 401, then the 101 over the bridge into OR.
4/ From Astoria, OR take Rt. 202 south
5/ At Jewell, turn right onto Fishhawk Falls Hwy
6/ Fishhawk Hwy to Rt.26 East.
7/ Route 26 East to Timber Road South
8/ Timber Road South to Rt 6 West, to Tillamook
9/ At Tillamook, take 101S to Lincoln City / Kernville.
10/ At Kernville, exit the 101 onto the 229.
11/ Rt 229 to Rt. 20W, into Newport.

Day 2: Newport, OR to Grants Pass, OR

1/ 101S out of Newport to Waldport.
2/ In Waldport, take the Alsea Hwy (34) east, cutting across on Decker Road, down Bellfountain to Territorial Hwy.
3/ Territorial Hwy south to the 36 west.
4/ At Mapleton, turn onto the 126 East.
5/ At Austa, turn right onto Suislaw River Road.
6/ Suislaw River Road to Lorane, OR, then County Rd 116 to the 99 into Drain, OR.
7/ From Drain, take the 38 West to Reedsport.
8/ 101S into Coos Bay
9/ South of Coos Bay, take the 42 to Myrtle Point
10 / At Myrtle Point, take the West Side Road / Powers Hwy to Powers, OR
11/ Continue down NFD33 to NFD23
12/ NFD23 (Merlin-Galice Road) to Grants Pass. Collapse.

Day 3: Grants Pass, OR to Redding, CA

1/ Rt. 199 South to O'Brian, OR.
2/ From O'Brian, take Happy Camp Rd into Happy Camp, CA
3/ At Happy Camp, CA take Rt. 96 South to the 299 East into Redding.
(Maybe a offshoot here or there, depending how I'm feeling)

Day 4: Redding, CA to Mill Valley, CA

1/ A16 (Placer / Platina Road) to the 36.
2/ Rt. 36 west to Fortuna
3/ 101S to Leggett
4/ Rt 1 from Leggett to Mill Valley.

Day 5: Mill Valley to Home, via Santa Cruz Mts, Hwy 1, and the 101. Done it before, glad to do it again.
On Day 1 I would recommend this instead of heading over the Astoria Bridge stay on Hwy 4 all the way to Longview, jump over the River to OR their, Go west on Hwy 30, then get on Hwy 47 great road very twisty and will run into Hwy 202 that you have below down in Jewell. The road between Astoria and Jewell is in poor condition lots of gravel and sections that are just flat out dangerous, between Jewell and Hwy 26 no problems.

Day 2

You may want to try Smith Road instead of Hwy 36 to Reedsport depending on your time, very twisty road, lots of turns.
The road just beyond Powers turns into a dirt road you will be on dirt and gravel for miles at least 12 or more, been there, no fun, if there is a paved route we couldn't find it.

Day 3 and 4 I just did, great roads nothing to be said!

I hope your not alone on this trip, some of these roads are very remote, anyways great roads, you did good with your research!

Placerville is my home turf here so from P-ville take hw49 to Nevada City and stay on 49 thru Downieville to hwy89 89 will take you past Clear Lake to 36/89 and in the front door of Lassen thru the park and out to 44/89, stay 89 and that will take you all the way to I-5 where you can get on the freeway for a bit and then hit 97 off of I-5 you could also take 299 off of 89 and continue heading north to 139 towards Klamath Falls and into Oregon and stay away from the freeway
smile.gif
its 10.00 bucks i think to drive thru Lassen...its worth it!

(ozz @ Aug. 01 2007,18:48) Placerville is my home turf here so from P-ville take hw49 to Nevada City and stay on 49 thru Downieville to hwy89     89 will take you past Clear Lake to 36/89 and in the front door of Lassen thru the park and out to 44/89, stay 89 and that will take you all the way to I-5 where you can get on the freeway for a bit and then hit 97 off of I-5       you could also take 299 off of 89 and continue heading north to 139 towards Klamath Falls and into Oregon and stay away from the freeway  
smile.gif
   its 10.00 bucks i think to drive thru Lassen...its worth it!
What do you think of Hwy 70?

Lassen is $5 for motorcycles, lots of construction in the park so be ready to wait 20 minutes. Go through at noon and the construction crews are at lunch!

My busa is in the junkyard in Happy Camp right now, waiting for the insurance company to come and get it.

Pretty sure it's totaled, hit a dam deer up there last week.

Back