Heading for Skydive Chicago (Summerfest) 27 July

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Well, it's just tooooo HOT to ride.

I'm heading out next Wednesday for my annual pilgrimage to Skydive Chicago for Summerfest 2010; it's a 'boogie' (skydivers term for big event) for some big-time skydiving. There will be multiple aircraft, parties every night, usually some kind of record attempt (world record free-fly (head-down) was achieved here last year), and all around FUN. If anyone in the area ever wanted to make a tandem skydive, this would be a great week for it.

I usually try to come the entire time, but had to negotiate with the pillion :banghead: (she's going to Oshkosh for the EAA convention same week) and won't be there until WED PM or Thursday. I'll hopefully get 3 good days of jumping so wish for good weather!

Here are a few pics lifted from their website and a vid or two from last year; and before anyone goes 'investigating', yes, I'm in all the pics and it realllly is me :) I'm wearing two different suits; one is white with light blue grips and a bunch of patches on it, and the other is black with a bunch of other colors in it. The rig and my helmet are same in all pics; GoPro mount stuck on the helmet...I'll be wearing my GoPro HD so hoping for some good HIDEF vids this year.

BLUE SKIES!!

072709 (8).jpg

072709 (11).jpg

072709 (12).jpg

072709 (17).jpg

072709 (27).jpg

072809 (9).jpg

073009 (10).jpg

072909 (13).jpg

072909 (17).jpg

072909 (24).jpg

073109 (4).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome video and awesome pics. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I always wondered what it feels like to do that. I think I'd rather go bowling.:rofl:

Damn, scares the hell outa me just looking at that! I think Wheelies in down town Hotlanta would be safer! :rulez:

You have fun dude and come home in one piece!

Looking forward to more good photos and video!

Keep up that boring, low risk life style there big guy!

Hats off to clear weather!

I'll be flying through the area next week, I'll keep an eye out for ya :thumbsup: How far up do you guys jump from?

I'll be flying through the area next week, I'll keep an eye out for ya :thumbsup: How far up do you guys jump from?

Private or commercial? If Commercial, O'Hare has control of airspace and is briefed. If Local, my advice is to stay on radio and stay 10 MI away; there will be 20+ Aircraft flying in tight confines from the ground to about 15K AGL. It's usually VERY busy airspace. We usually get out about 14K. I'm sure you'll hear PLENTY of traffic on the radio!

I'm not allowed to sky dive. I'm so fat that if my parachute failed the impact would be as devastating as a cometary impact.

SuperCometPhoto5.jpg

cheers
ken

Wave to my family as you soar over town! Have a great time and good luck on the weather!:thumbsup:

Private or commercial? If Commercial, O'Hare has control of airspace and is briefed. If Local, my advice is to stay on radio and stay 10 MI away; there will be 20+ Aircraft flying in tight confines from the ground to about 15K AGL. It's usually VERY busy airspace. We usually get out about 14K. I'm sure you'll hear PLENTY of traffic on the radio!

oh I'm flying commercial... I'll be on an AA MD80/83 :beerchug: Should be interesting to see how our flight patterns will change in/out of the ORD area :thumbsup:

Awesome! Have fun and be safe! The Carolinafest boogie last month was awesome! I had a great time, wish I could go check this one out. :beerchug:

oh I'm flying commercial... I'll be on an AA MD80/83 :beerchug: Should be interesting to see how our flight patterns will change in/out of the ORD area :thumbsup:

When we were doing the world record attempts in 2000 there, they were routing traffic around the area (we were going to 21K with Oxygen). Since we are only going to 14.5K, I don't know if that's in the approach path or not, but I'm sure you'll be hearing alot of 'Jumper's Away' calls on the radio when you come thru! We are at a private field at Ottawa, IL....

PM replied Lurch!

Back