Headed out on a ~1500 mile trip.

BentValve

Alive & enjoying it!
Donating Member
Registered
So me, MJN and 20 some others are headed to Lolo pass in Idaho/Montana.  

For me the round trip is going to be about 1500 miles, I start tomorrow , Saturday early afternoon and will get home Monday night.  

This may not be a long trip to some guys but its the longest trip I have been on...even though I ride a great deal I still stay within 4-5 counties around my area.  Now I am covering 3 states.
smile.gif

Ive got 5500 miles on my Busa since I got it in March, when I get back I will be @ around 7K.   I know for sure I will be over 13K by years end, that is if I live that long.
bluegrab.gif

I am looking forward to it and have been preparing, I dont use a tank bag because I get in a full tuck now and again and need that space. I dont really want any side bags but may look into a rear seat bag sometime.  

For now though I am making the most of my tail storage and am carrying a backpack that is lightly packed.  Backpacks are great for me if they are not packed to tightly ( because of the hump)

So here goes,  id appreciate advice on bringing anything else if someone can think of something:

Tail storage:
Insurance and registration.
Stock tool kit + pocket knife and better pliers and front wheel tool.  
Super bright LED flashlight
Tire Gauge
Tire plug kit
First Gear rain pants
First Gear rain jacket
Cotton towel, microfiber towel and grease rag.
Sunglasses
10mm wrench for hump..taped to hump bottom.
(Yeah I know about the hump mod!)

Jacket and towels go in hump, everything else neatly packed in trunk...pants take up that rearmost space...I just tucked them in from underneath.

In Backpack:

Shorts
2 T-shirts
underwear
socks
super light weight sandals (Scootergirl gave me this idea!)
Camera
Cell Phone
Soap, toothbrush, paste etc.
Maps

All told a very light package. I still can add a few more things and keep the weight down.  I can also leave the hump and home and fit a little more in my back pack...the hump tends to get in the way.  

couple of Lolo pass pics I found on the net:

<!--EDIT|BentValve
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120923747 -->

backpack is gonna get mighty heavy after that many miles.. been there done that..

I know this probably won't help but I built a little frame out of 1/4 rods and used a set of REI bike panniers (saddlebags to motorcyclist) and mounted the frame to the white piece that the hump mounts too..  I'll find a pic here and show ya so you'll get a pretty good idea. I still have the rig.. I'd be more than happy to loan it to ya if you weren't leaving tomorrow.... more lead time is needed for real help man! lol

hmm.. man I had a buncha stuff packed into these things..  2 days worth of real clothes, all the normal stuff.. SHOES.. rain suit. a tool kit that had GOOD tools beyond the OEM bag of tin stuff.. tire plugs all that jazz.. worked really well other than I had to mount up sorta weird..  coudln't just toss my leg over the bag.. had to kinda kick it up and put it straight across the seat..

speed tested to 150mph.. worked like a charm.

PS.. that sign almost brings tears to my eyes.. haha what a ride!

can't find the pic... will post it up if I can find it.

<!--EDIT|pure_ego
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120924960 -->

WATER! You can fit 2 bottles of those Kirkland or Sparklett in the trunk. The medium size ones.

Have a great time!!!!!! Sorry I'm missing it! We expect lots of pics!!!! Be safe!

Small bottle like for eye drops filled with soapy water & a piece of micro fibre cloth to clean your visor.
Ear plugs.
Ditch the hump & the back pack. Install the rear seat & grab rail. Use a small carry on bag & bungy it with a cargo net. You can add zip ties if you plan on 3X the speed limit.
Start out in your oldest pair of skivies & socks. Throw them away when you change clothes.
Good luck, have fun. Wish I was going.

If you set up your bag properly it could be used as a backrest. That is if you have cruise or have your fast idle control adjusted so she will cruise at 80. You will have to ride no hands to use the backrest. Your decision.

<!--EDIT|Churchkey
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120957975 -->

Dont forget emergency contact numbers, the charger for your phone and a little bit of "mad money" for emergencies. Have a safe trip! NJ.:)

Small bottle like for eye drops filled with soapy water & a piece of micro fibre cloth to clean your visor.
Ear plugs.
Ditch the hump & the back pack. Install the rear seat & grab rail. Use a small carry on bag & bungy it with a cargo net. You can add zip ties if you plan on 3X the speed limit.
Wow, awesome ideas!!

I am doing to small bottle thing, in fact I have some stuff like Honda polish that I can pour into it.

Ear plugs are also a great idea.

I think I will use a small carry on bag and bungy...its nice to have a free back. The zip ties are a great idea.

Thanks

Some sort of air pump or cartridges to air up a tire
wink.gif
Yeah ive considered this but cannot find a solution that will work.... at least have some plugs.

Next time though I will have something worked out...I will probably buy that kit that works off engine compression to fill up the tire.

Bentvalve and I along with the others, looks like just 11 of us total, are gonna have a great ride! I'm at work today, gonna split a little early.
The first pic above is Lolo pass, the begining of the tight twisties. We'll be on those sunday.
The second one is either the spiral hywy above lewiston, or whitebird grade, south of grangeville...not sure which. unfortunately, we won't be hitting either of these...
CAN'T WAIT!!!
tounge.gif

by the way, we'll take lots of good photos, so ya'll can see what ya missed!!!
biggrin.gif

Some sort of air pump or cartridges to air up a tire
wink.gif
Yeah ive considered this but cannot find a solution that will work.... at least have some plugs.

Next time though I will have something worked out...I will probably buy that kit that works off engine compression to fill up the tire.
You will have to pull a fairing to pump the tire with engine compression.

I carry CO2 cartridges. Got the kit from Dennis Kirk. The whole kit with tire plugs is about the size of the stock tool kit.

There are all kinds of CO2 inflators out there, probably can find one locally. I prefer my tailbag for long hauls, it has quite a bit of room in it.

Back