HD Question

If you're using RCA jacks (Yellow = video, red & white = audio) you won't get HD at all with that setup. You either have to use HDMI or Component cables. Component would be Red, Green, Blue for Video and Red/White for Audio.

I use direct tv with my Samsung 56" TV and when I first got it I would flipped from discovery in SD to discovery in HD and the difference was night and day. Now I have my SD duplicate channels turned off.

I would still hook up rabbit ears to your TV for comparison purposes. If the over the air channels look better than the cable HD channels at least you can show the cable tech the problem.

I have a 61" Samsung DLP and the SD to HD comparison is very obvious, and I'm using the component cables.

It's probably just a setting issue, check the output settings on the box itself. The difference between SD and HD at 720 is minimal, least to me it is.

You may also want to look into having your TV profesionally calibrated. All tv's are calibrated out of the box to look their best in a retail sales environment. And unless you live i n a department store it won't look its best in your home. If the cost of pro calibration is more than you want to spend do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Digital Video Essentials (also available on Blu-Ray ). That'll get you close and way better IMHO than the factory settings.

I've heard people who use an antenna say the picture quality difference is huge, but since cable signal quality is (at least from my experience) far superior to reception with an antenna, I wonder if I'm expecting too much?

Over the air signal quality is not the same as it was even 5 years ago. With analog signals gone and digital signals now online it is a night and day difference. There are no longer fuzzy stations, it just doesnt happen that way.

HD is not overrated, if you cant see the difference then your not getting a signal, period.

i checked online for settings on my model and customized them. made a big difference too.

Cable company sent an e-mail. "Are you using a HDMI cable?"

I should just copy the link to this thread and send it back to them. :laugh:

Good idea Rev.

Honestly this is a lot of hassle for the four hours of television we watch each week.

I'll say it:
HD is overrated; TV is overrated; cable service is over priced.

Our $2000 HD digital LCD TV crapped out over a month ago, and I have not even missed it. It's amazing how much more time I have with no TV on!!

CW

You may also want to look into having your TV profesionally calibrated. All tv's are calibrated out of the box to look their best in a retail sales environment. And unless you live i n a department store it won't look its best in your home. If the cost of pro calibration is more than you want to spend do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Digital Video Essentials (also available on Blu-Ray ). That'll get you close and way better IMHO than the factory settings.

This is probably your best bet if you are recieving HD signals and there is not a difference between HD and SD. There are also many DIY videos on the net of how to calibrate your picture for the best result. I also have a 52" Samsung LCD. Out the box there was a difference between the two in terms of clearness and sharpness, especially with a fast moving picture. You may also want to look into Blu-Ray. They are becoming pretty affordable now and output 1080p.

I'm with you CW. If it weren't for superior broadband speeds cable provides I doubt we'd have cable service.

I've verified the cable box is set to send 1080p and the television is set to receive it. I tried some setting changes on the television suggested by tweaktv.com, and I've tried all three HDMI inputs on my television to ensure I didn't have a bad one.

Now I've even gone and joined yet another forum (the last thing I need)....High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource. I haven't learned much yet, but I haven't given up yet either.

I can see a difference between channels like The Weather Channel HD and non-HD. The colors on the HD version are much more saturated and the picture is about 25% sharper. That ultimately may be the full benefit of HD and I'm expecting too much.

Back