HD Clutch springs - Can anything lighten the resistance?

Audiomaker

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting new clutch/brake levers for my 02 Turbo.

As usual I'm over-thinking things and the HD clutch springs in my bike make it a challenge to pull the clutch in.

Now when I say "Challenge", my left forearm has compensated after some months of riding this bike, but you can forget about blipping the clutch to enter a wheel stand (with any control), and you can forget about shorty levers.
I just mention those to give you an idea of the resistance. Full hand intentful pulls, get in neutral before long stops... not a lot of clutch finesse is going to happen.

So back to levers...

I'm sitting here wishing that there was a solution that would increase the piston pressure while shortening the length of pull on the clutch. Pretty much the result you would get if you moved the lever pivot closer to the piston... if that makes sense?

Is anyone making a product like that, or is there a mod' to make the clutch lever easier to pull on bikes that have HD springs?

I just wanted to ask before I order new levers and find out afterwards there was a lever based solution to this hard pull.

Many Thanks
Sean

Did you install all HD springs or half ? Did you invest in a heavy duty front sprocket cover ?

just put in 3 springs and see if it holds.....and get a HD aftermarket clutch/slave cover

Either of the above.

ASV levers have the most fine adjustment and a great warranty if you end up buying new levers too.

if you have a weak clutch hand its time for a lockup clutch

I don't think I have a weak clutch hand... especially now. My friend's GSXR1000 clutch feels like the clutch on a mini-bike to me now.

Still, it's a full hand pull and forget about 2 finger blipping the clutch to get the front end up (I didn't do this often, but I miss the ability).

My 6'4 350lb body builder buddy (who owns the gixxer) pulls my clutch and is like .... "damn".

I can live with it. It's cool that my left hand grip is now as strong as my right (I'm right handed).

As I mentioned in the original post, I'm looking at levers so this is why it's on my mind. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some "eccentric cam" type lever I had missed before purchasing something else.

I will however look into these other suggestions including the lockup clutch. Like most things, I'll bet there's tradeoffs so I'll do a search on those.

I'd experiment with the springs, but I'm still slowly upping the horsepower on my intentionally detuned bike (currently at 220 down from max 350), so I need to find my end point there first.

Thanks for the advice guys, and I'll now buy levers knowing there isn't anything unique to this problem out there as far as levers are concerned.

All the Best
Sean

Back