HBO - The Pacific - Anyone gonna watch?

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I'm seriously thinking of adding HBO back to the channel lineup just for it. Loved the Band of Brothers and this one is supposed to be even better :thumbsup: Anyone else looking forward to this series?

I am ready I have it setup to record every episode. I love band of brothers and have it on blu-ray. I will be getting this when it comes out on blu-ray also.

Just got though watching the first episode, it was pretty good. Not as good right off as Band of Brothers, but still worth watching.

Just got though watching the first episode, it was pretty good. Not as good right off as Band of Brothers, but still worth watching.

I thought it started slow but...I think it's gonna pick up quite a bit actually :laugh:

My significant other bumped HBO on just for me cause I was talking about
the series...:thumbsup:...she's a keeper. (direct tv rules)

Generally I find the pay channels get very old very quick. I like true blood and
dexter but both are down for now so we turn it off for a few months and save
the cash...I was out doing the lawn and got a surprise when I came back in.

Last edited:
Just when I considered myself a "senior Veteran" being a Viet Nam Marine, an incredible series like this comes along and reminds us that we are but a link in a chain of timeless warriors. I'm not speaking about myself, I'm referring to the brave ones over many generations that left the USA to lands unknown....because it was just a matter of time (especially going back to WWII) that enemy forces would try to invade and claim our great land for themselves. In my own little world, I remember leaving San Diego with the 5th Marine Division on a troop carrier....watching the US disappear over the horizon, for quite a journey.... just like Band of Brothers, this production really rings bells for me. What a great mini-series so far.
Isn't it ironic that, 68 years later, we are the best of international friends with Japan and ride Hayabusas?
Like they say, "fiction can never be as good as reality".

Well put Raydog.
I just finished watching the replay cuz I missed te first showing .
I thought it started a bit too quick storywise.
Did not spend enough time with the explanation on how they all wound up there .
No first episode or two showing them training together ?

The combat footage is newer and with more recent tech so it is all that much more vivid.
I did not care for the Jap standing in the water with everyone shooting at him like it's target practice .
Never served and certainly wasn't there but that mmmmm I don't know just didn't seem like something that would have happened ?
Maybe just me. Combat and killing of course but plinking the guy in the arms then the shoulders and all that just doesn't fit Spielberg.
Not band of bros or Pvt Ryan.

I have studied WWII since school and still find it diff to imagine the magnitude of WORLD WAR !
The numbers they talk about from all areas are incredible .
One major battle in one major campaign involved hundreds of thousands and this went on for six yrs.

For me though nothing beats the first hand accounts I am still lucky to hear from all the Vets retired here or a good book written by one of them.
This first ep was great and I'm looking forward to the rest.

Well put Raydog.
I just finished watching the replay cuz I missed te first showing .
I thought it started a bit too quick storywise.
Did not spend enough time with the explanation on how they all wound up there .
No first episode or two showing them training together ?

The combat footage is newer and with more recent tech so it is all that much more vivid.
I did not care for the Jap standing in the water with everyone shooting at him like it's target practice .
Never served and certainly wasn't there but that mmmmm I don't know just didn't seem like something that would have happened ?
Maybe just me. Combat and killing of course but plinking the guy in the arms then the shoulders and all that just doesn't fit Spielberg.
Not band of bros or Pvt Ryan.

I have studied WWII since school and still find it diff to imagine the magnitude of WORLD WAR !
The numbers they talk about from all areas are incredible .
One major battle in one major campaign involved hundreds of thousands and this went on for six yrs.

For me though nothing beats the first hand accounts I am still lucky to hear from all the Vets retired here or a good book written by one of them.
This first ep was great and I'm looking forward to the rest.

So I take it you haven't seen Tom Hanks latest political...point of view...

He said that WWII was a race war...very similar to what we have today.
I think Hanks has lost it...???

Last edited:
I'm sorry but WWII WAS a race war! Both the Japanese and the Nazis military included training components that emphasized the superiority of ethnicity. And on a much lesser scale, we used the tactic as well. I'm not taking a political point of view here but historical facts are facts. I remember a Field Grade Officer lecturing my combat unit about how the enemy "was not fully human" because of their ethnicity. Wheather it was a deep seated racial hatred or simply a war tactic to dehumanize the enemy, I don't know...but let's not pretend it did not happen. Raydog USMC 1966-69

There was certainly a race component to it; it was used as a political tool to motivate the nation and our servicemembers to make it easier to overcome our unwillingness to kill.

But Tom Hanks has got it wrong, the war didn't start over race, but race was used as a component in waging the war...and while not politically correct, it certainly worked.

Will look forward to seeing it.

And although many of the Jews and others were white, Hitler/Nazis saw them as a different, lower class of people, a different "race" all together (as noted in many documents). His vision was one of pure arian blood from a fairly specific lineage. Though his vision was flawed, there is no pure arian race (proven scientifically) make no mistake, he definitely was waging a racial war.

I'm much more of a European theater WWII buff than the pacific but there are atrocities the likes of which we can only pray never happen again that occurred in both theaters of that war.

My Dad was there, I have his army air corps pics. Japanese snipers, Nightly fox hole runs to avoid jap bombs, smell of flame throwered bodies.

In the good times, fishing with a Bazooka.

I'm sorry but WWII WAS a race war! Both the Japanese and the Nazis military included training components that emphasized the superiority of ethnicity. And on a much lesser scale, we used the tactic as well. I'm not taking a political point of view here but historical facts are facts. I remember a Field Grade Officer lecturing my combat unit about how the enemy "was not fully human" because of their ethnicity. Wheather it was a deep seated racial hatred or simply a war tactic to dehumanize the enemy, I don't know...but let's not pretend it did not happen. Raydog USMC 1966-69

they even showed a little bit of how we used it last night, thinking the Japanese by size were less of an opponent in war, thinking as one of the guys put it on there a turkey shoot....race was used as well as ethnicity.

WWII was not about race...it was about survival. We were attacked, viciously.

Yes, OF COURSE, there are tactics and idiologies that dehumanize due to race in times of war
and hitler used his propaganda against the jews, it was about money
(economics) and territory and power.

We were at war with Japan as country which included it's people. We weren't
on a mission to exterminate all "yellow" people from the planet. The same with Germany.
It wouldn't have mattered if Iceland bombed Pearl Harbor...we would
have been at war with them.

Hitler used hatred and bigotry to unite the German people but his goal was power,
race will always play some part in all wars but WWII was NOT a race war.

As is the Iraq war today is not a race war (sorry mister hanks)
We are not going thru the streets of Iraq (or the U.S. for that matter)
wiping out everyone with a turban.

Last edited:
just because the war involved different races....does not make a race war.

whil Hitler beleived his Arian Race was superior, it was power that he wanted. He used racism as a tool to gain power, and to justify his actions.

it looks as if tom Hanks has finally come down with "hollywood" disease.....it comes from living in a make believe land, away from the realities of life....

Back