Hays machine works

trevor

Registered
Does anyone know if tim Hays is still in business? I purchased a pro street convertible clutch from him last year.. And need some help. And parts, but have tried emailing and phoning him with zero response!! Is he still around? My outer basket endplay measures 0.022 ". I've read it should be between. 003 -.008". With the thrust washer it is within tolerance, but with the thrust bearing assy it is the. 022".. Trying to figure out if I should add shims to the bearing assy, or have the bearing assy sleeve machined down. Race season is only weeks away, and I can't get in touch with him..seems odd.

Does anyone have any experience with the prostreet clutch? There is. 0155" difference between the thickness of the bearing and two washers, and the thickness of the bearing sleeve..to me that seems to be where the extra end play is coming from. I don't want to modify it without talking to tim, or someone who can confirm the issue.

I see him posting on Facebook regularly with reference to his business. I presume he's still around, but haven't talked to him since last fall.

Does anyone else here use one? I would assume everyone with this setup would have the same large amount of end play..but like I said I'm not able to confirm this. With just the thrust washer assembly everything is within spec. I don't see any reason you would want the additional end play when using the thrust bearing assy. If someone else that has this setup could check the endplay of their outer basket it would be a great help

Also if anyone is experienced in setting them up I would like to pick your brain a little.

Makes me sad to see you having such a hard time getting ahold of him. Good product or not, that sucks. I'm definitely going to a gen 2. Hope you get the help you need.

Makes me sad to see you having such a hard time getting ahold of him. Good product or not, that sucks. I'm definitely going to a gen 2. Hope you get the help you need.

It does suck..and really seems like a great product..really needs to be some instructions and basic tuning outline. Hopefully it all works out

You could do it either way, whatever you need to do to get it a little tighter.
Can you post a pic of the thrust assembly or at least measure the washers that are backing the thrust bearing?

What inner basket are you using? Is it stock or a billet basket?

If you are happy with the thrust bearing, you could just take the spacer and reduce the width (thickness). This can be done with real machines, or if you have abit of time, you can put a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface ans hand sand it down. Keep the washer flat and move it in a figure 8 motion for awhile Flip, do it again, flip again...until it is about .015" or so thinner

Tried to contact tim on Facebook..hasn't responded..got a new center bearing spacer made up at machine shop today. 0.014 thinner than the one I had, now it's the same width as the 3peice bearing assy. Will install tomorrow and see how it works. I sent him the first email on April 15. I really think he has a great product but I wish the support was better. It makes it frustrating. When he has responded he has been helpful. I find email can be drawn out sometimes tho..don't always get all of your questions answered. I still don't feel comfortable enough with the setup to try it in slider mode. I am running in lockup mode with pretty good results. I have run a best 60' of 1.44, and avg about 1.49 I'm fighting the bike wanting to wheelie when I leave harder. It's only 7 over.

I am running his convertible clutch in slider mode and ive not had any issues. Give him a call and leave a VM. he will call you back.

Are you running the t6 adapter? I've been trying to contact him every way possible. What rpm do you lleave a? From what I understand, I am gonna set it up to leave around 4500-5000rpm, t6 adapter with 3silver and3purple springs. And the 6orange static springs on top. And 4washers a nut and bolt on each arm...sounds right to you? I make about 230 at the wheel, 7" extended, lowered.

single stage slider, 6 orange static springs, leave @ 4500-5000 10 over bar bike ~200 @ the wheel

So you just run the static springs.might no springs on the arms? No weights? What kind of 60' are you running? I've had a best of 1.44 60'. Been a bit inconsistent but more than likely cause I keep frigging with it! It has been wanting to wheelie out at the tree

I'm thinking the t6 adapter is making things more confusing for me. I don't have any power adders so I could probably dumb it up a bit!

So you just run the static springs.might no springs on the arms? No weights? What kind of 60' are you running? I've had a best of 1.44 60'. Been a bit inconsistent but more than likely cause I keep frigging with it! It has been wanting to wheelie out at the tree
I have weights on the arms but couldnt tell you how much right now. sets up as a single stage slider. havent run since last year and dont have any numbers on me either but was very consistent. you may just want to start simple with less weight and slowly work your way up.

What did your endplay end up being with the spacer being machined to exactly the same thickness as the thrust bearing? Seems you may be crushing the bearing rather than the spacer sleeve when you tighten the hub. If so, it will likely burn the thrust washer in no time.

I'd just set it up with 3 arms and 3 dynamic springs, at least at first.

The old setup just used a thrust washer..no bearing. No point in it being there if there is no pressure on it. The old washer setup had 50000kms on it. Just how I see it. Would like to know time thoughts. Or how much endplay users on here have

The old setup just used a thrust washer..no bearing. No point in it being there if there is no pressure on it. It wouldn't be called a THRUST bearing. The old washer setup had 50000kms on it. Just how I see it. Would like to know what Tim thinks. Or how much endplay users on here have

Tim just replied tonite, he said he has been having trouble sending and receiving emails. I just resent my question. I am confident that the issue will be figured out. I'm relieved that he is still around:) was a bit worried. I will post the results

Back