HayIWannaBuya Busa Oran R1?

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Hey all.  Been reading thru and wondered if others had suffered my dilemma?  R1 or Busa.  I had mentally sold my self on the R1 for the rave reviews, the [light] weight, the power, but now am thinking Busa for [heavier] weight, reviews, comfort???, power.

I'll be trading up from an '86 Ninja 1000r that is plenty quick and plenty heavey.  The Busa weighs in LESS than my current bike.

Anywho, I would like to take longer trips and was thinking the R1 just wouldn't cut it. That and wind shear on a 380 bike sounds scarey to me.

Anyone else suffer the R1 dilemma before jumping aboard the Busa?  I can call it a Busa can't I?

I little background:  deep down inside I have always wanted a Hayabusa so that helps steer me too.  um.... lets see.  I do as much city fun riding, as commuting and higher [ahem] speed runs in the north forty.  I fine with a big, lunky crap bike [read 86 ninja 1000r] in the twisties, and hear the R1 excels in the steering department and overall quality and feel with shorter wheel base.  Haya is longer and better going strait... should be no problem with my previously trained/programmed abuse from my Ninja, right?  I would like to make 300 miles trips to KC from Iowa and fear an R1 would not ride as well as a Busa. Also, want to take passengers on occasion.

Thanks in advance.  Oh, and I'm also leaning toward the Busa since the dealer might take my Ninja in on trade and the Yam people will not.

All opinions appriciated.  Next time I'll learn to type less  ;)

I had the same problem but then I sat on a 03 R1
and found out how cramped it was, then I sat on a
busa and it felt like a lazy-boy, so I bought a busa
and have loved it ever since.

just my 2 cents

Sounds like you already have all the answers, but I will tell you that I took my CBR 1000 on a trip from Chicago to KC. I rode it back to Chicago in one day & half in the rain/wind (10 hrs). I feel that the Busa is every bit as comfortable and stable as the CBR 1000. It is great. I also went on a trip to WI with buddies riding 2 R1's and one CBR 900RR. Again, we got caught in the rain, and they all dissapeared behind me. They said the wind blew them all over the road. One of those guys conveniently had his R1 stolen and bought a Busa. The other guy with the R1 would sell you his right now so that he could buy a Busa.

So there you go.

If your gonna be a Bear be A Grizzly...

buy the Busa.
idea.gif

The Busa is the only bike for me. I ride mostly on the highway back and forth to work with an occasional trip to the mountains. If you want to see the difference between the two get a copy of the Mach 2 video. In the really tight curves the R1 was supreme but once the curvers opened up just a little there was no touching the Busa.
Welcome to the board
Jim

R1 = cramped, extremely twitchy, no wind protection, no steering dampner, no ram air system, looks EXACTLY like a R6, 0wn3d by the GSXR1000

GSXR1000 makes the R1 it's own personal b*tch, it completely destroys it in handling, power, comfort and looks

I've raced R1 in twisty roads. Yes, they can outbrake me and get a little more lean angle, but god help them coming out of the turns, the busa will just rock any R1 out of the turns.

There is nothing like a busa on the road. I dont know about you, but I dont have people walking over to me and asking

"hey, is that the 1000CC model? or the little pu$$y 600CC model? they look alike"

LOL

Mike

Mikeyusf pegged this one in my opinion.
A week ago I had a chance to ride with three R1's, among other bikes.
Met up with them on a long twisty road.
All were very agressive riders. I still managed to stay with them in the corners, then came a long straight away and I was all over them like a fat kid on smarties!!!.
I actually had to brake numerous times in the straights so I didn't steam roll them.
Didn't want to pass them, because then they'd be so far behind I wouldn't get to have any more fun.
I'd buy a Busa........... Oh I did.

I have an 02 R1 in the garage(my best friends) and an 02 Busa beside it(mine...hee hee hee). I rode his the other day and that thing is so freaking uncomfortable that I don't know why I ever wanted to buy one. I'm really glad that my wife sat on the Busa and "forced" me to get it. He may be a slight bit quicker off the line but he can't even begin to match the midrange and upper power. We were messing around one night while I was still breaking it in and he zipped past me and tried to leave me sitting. I got on it and proceeded to kinda surge the bike beside him. He didn't let off and was amazed. Needless to say, he's trading his in next year....if not this year. Go with the Busa, has a mix of everything a guy/gal could want.

Wayne

oh indeed, put an R1 against a busa, and the busa will flatten it like an aluminum chair at weight watchers

Plus, chicks dig the comfy seat of the busa, along with the butt bar, the dual exhaust, and the rubber coated footpegs. It's like having the comfort of a Lincoln Town Car with the handling and power of f*ckin jet!

Hooked, I love my busa

Mike

I like the look of the R1, I had a 2001 R6 for about 6 months it was fun, lite, toss it around easy ... but very uncomfy, very! If you were to ask the same question at a R1 site they would go on & on about how the Busa is heavy... blah, blah... but like you say it's way lighter than the Bikes of just a few years ago and the power is awesome. I think I like the looks of the R1 better than the Gix 1000 but the Gixxer blows it away in all respects ... just read a few comparo's in Sportrider or Motorcyclist. My opinion for what its worth, I dont think you will be disappointed with the Busa, oh and get a copy of the video Mach II. (CBR1100, ZX1100, R1, Busa)

Much excellent replys as expected. Thanks for the inpout guys. I'm really leaning toward the Hayabusa now more than ever.

Something else struck me. Someone mentioned 'lean angle'. Having ridden with radical street racer types I've watched in awe as they learned way down in high speed curves. I know for a fact I will never be doing that. I just don't have the time [or track], or interest to take the needed training on how to lean/race, so the peg grinding R1 is nothing I would ever utilize. Just another notch on the PRO Busa case!

Thanks for the great community site, forums and info!!!
smile.gif

PS Anyone know how to defeat the speed limiter? Just curious

Much excellent replys as expected.  Thanks for the inpout guys.  I'm really leaning toward the Hayabusa now more than ever.

Something else struck me.  Someone mentioned 'lean angle'.  Having ridden with radical street racer types I've watched in awe as they learned way down in high speed curves.  I know for a fact I will never be doing that.  I just don't have the time [or track], or interest to take the needed training on how to lean/race,  so the peg grinding R1 is nothing I would ever utilize.  Just another notch on the PRO Busa case!

Thanks for the great community site, forums and info!!!  
smile.gif

PS  Anyone know how to defeat the speed limiter?  Just curious
Who said you csan not drag pegs on the Busa? I had to put Vortex Rear sets because of taking it low?? God luck in your choice.
biggrin.gif

oh indeed, put an R1 against a busa, and the busa will flatten it like an aluminum chair at weight watchers[/QUOTE]
laugh.gif

Mikeyusf, Your killin me...

I was excited about the R1 when it came out, sat on it for about 10 seconds, spent the rest of the day Saying WTF?  If your under about 5'9" at about 155 or less it's probably pretty cool, and I will give the new R1 credit for being real pretty, the Black and silver looks sweet...

Get what fits best and what feels good between your legs...kinda like finding a wife...just without the nagging... Opportunities to really "embarrass" other sport bikes out there are pretty rare, probably doesn't come up much, they know who the current bad boy is...

OOOOOOOOOOOh you can tip in a Busie quite a bit if you have the ballz...

( this is me ... I wish! )

Oh, I'll be leaning her over if/when I get it.... just not as far as seen on SPEEDCHANNEL or my outlaw fellow riders.  I have too many other hobbies to get great at doing the lean:  Skydiving, Video games, basket weaving....  it's ALL about time management.

What about the speed restrictor?  
And what's with the DUAL pipes while everyone else goes into 1
rock.gif
 Aren't the mods into one pipe?  Suzuki like selling replacement mufflers or what??  
smile.gif

BTW I've taken down my R1 poster in my office and brought back in my Maisto 'Busa die-cast model. I'm pretty much sold on teh Busa. Now gotta negotiate price, trade in and what they'll do about that tiny ding in the fairing above the right vent. What do ya think? Replce it free or knock off $300?

I have a 99 R1 and I am going to trade it in. I have only put about 8000 miles on it in over 4 years. What everyone is saying is true. I cannot ride it for more than an hour without getting off it for at least 5 minutes. There is alot of power for its size but it is nothing compared to the busa. Where i ride there are zero turns, so i want and can use alot of straight line power, the r1 is good at that but it is just so uncomfortable on long hauls. Dont get me wrong the R1 is a great bike but you need to examine what type of riding you will do and what you need a bike to do for you. What ever you get I hope you enjoy it and be safe with it.
biggrin.gif

not to mention... some hot little chickie wanted a ride from me the other day when i was riding with my buddy and his R6. She told me it was cause my bike looked "safer" lol

-John

I hope you scared the S&*t out of her! WWJD, You are going to love the Busa. There is nothing like it. You can punish the race bike copies like the R1, RC51, cbr 954 and even the GSXR1000. If you haven't tried it yet, hitting the powerband with the throttle full open in 4th will drain the blood from your head; and before you can look at the speedometer, you are at lightspeed...........................

It is easy to shed about 35 pounds form a stock Busa and that puts you at 445 lbs dry. Thats the same as a Ducati 998 but you have much more HP and a little more Torque. As for the tamer geometry (ie longer wheelbase, shallower head angle, etc.) it isn't much different. Just enough to make long rides relaxing and IMO - more fun. The R1 and similar bikes require constant attention to be smooth on them. You just can't kick back if you want to. Not great for the 3rd or 5th hour in the saddle that day. Again just my opinion.

Mike - that comment about the aluminum chair at a Weight Watcher's convention is forever burned into my brain. Still laughing!

Back