Hayabusa trackbike victory - Shaun Giles, 2000

pan

Registered
Quite a few people have criticised the idea of a Hayabusa racing around a track with smaller bikes. Some have been vocal on websites (every single one of those have never ridden a Hayabusa on a racetrack however!!!). Some have sent PM's telling me I'm stupid, which is true, but not because of my choice of bike!

I, personally, just love the bike, so I decided after a couple of years of having it on the road, to one day turn mine into a track bike...

Busatrack3.jpg

My intention has never been to enter or win races... just to have fun... and so far I've had lots of trouble-free fun!

Let's not forget though, that back in 2000, the mighty Hayabusa made history:

In a recent interview with MCN:

Shawn Giles says: "I had some great races with Mat in 1994 and 1995 - some real memorable ones. He was a real hard racer and a demon under brakes."

When it comes to memorable motorcycles, Giles doesn't hesitate in naming the race-kitted Suzuki Hayabusa he co-rode in the Suzuka 8-hour race in 2000, Japan's most prestigious race and a round of the World Endurance Championship.

Giles raced the Hayabusa to victory in the Formula X class with team mate Osama Deguchi.

Shawn Giles says: "That thing was a weapon - we actually had to detune it for the race so we could ride it for the whole eight hours. I could pass any of the factory Superbikes in a straight line. I remember Hitoyasu Izutsu on the factory Kawasaki Superbike having his head buried under the screen and his arse on the ducktail and I went past him on the 'Busa sitting up and looking sideways at him.

"Izutsu couldn't believe it! I remember having real bad blisters on my hands after the race from trying to hold on. Real bad..."

To the critics, I say come and get me.
To those offering advice to help out with my fun project, I say thank you. It's been over a year on the track now and I gotta say, I LOVE IT!!!

Several of us ride our Busas at the track. I always manage to hang with the front 3-4 youngsters on the Saturday morning twisties rides too. Caused a bit of head scratching at first, but they've gotten used to the idea.
Great looking track bike you have there Pan. Keep up the good work, as I intend to also.:thumbsup:

Awesome job, I used to put my hayabusa on the track she would run with the best of them. I have to say the limiting factor was not the bike, but me as the rider.

"That thing was a weapon - we actually had to detune it for the race so we could ride it for the whole eight hours. I could pass any of the factory Superbikes in a straight line.

Awesome statement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've done a dozen track days on my Busa. It's not going To keep up with a race bike with a skilled rider, but it will do respectable times in intermediate.

Thanks for this, every time I tell another sport-bike rider that I ride a Hayabusa, they almost always say... Oh, that's too bad, those are so slow in the turns, all they're good for is straight line acceleration.

I always follow their question by asking them if they've ever ridden one. Never met anyone who has, who still says that.

So, let say, stock to stock will an R1 or another liter bike beat a hayabusa on the track, with identical riders?

Quite a few people have criticised the idea of a Hayabusa racing around a track with smaller bikes. Some have been vocal on websites (every single one of those have never ridden a Hayabusa on a racetrack however!!!). Some have sent PM's telling me I'm stupid, which is true, but not because of my choice of bike!

I, personally, just love the bike, so I decided after a couple of years of having it on the road, to one day turn mine into a track bike...

Busatrack3.jpg

My intention has never been to enter or win races... just to have fun... and so far I've had lots of trouble-free fun!

Let's not forget though, that back in 2000, the mighty Hayabusa made history:

In a recent interview with MCN:

To the critics, I say come and get me.
To those offering advice to help out with my fun project, I say thank you. It's been over a year on the track now and I gotta say, I LOVE IT!!!

Everyday another great individual pushes to the limit on this machine and continues its legacy of LEGEND!! Great job Bro, keep it up!!!:bowdown:

Thanks for this, every time I tell another sport-bike rider that I ride a Hayabusa, they almost always say... Oh, that's too bad, those are so slow in the turns, all they're good for is straight line acceleration.

I always follow their question by asking them if they've ever ridden one. Never met anyone who has, who still says that.

So, let say, stock to stock will an R1 or another liter bike beat a hayabusa on the track, with identical riders?

No doubt it will. A liter bike is intended for the circuit. The Hayabusa is intended for several roles not just lap times. Most people just judge it as a straight line machine because that's all they see. I can hang with my fast friends in the twisties back in the states, but its just more work compared to a lighter liter bike. I enjoy my busa for what it is, and it will always command respect and remain as an icon in the riding community.

Back