Hayabusa Touring?

canajuneh?

Registered
Hi,
I am just in the process of buying either a 2009 Hayabusa or a 2009 CBR1000rr. I have had brief rides on each bike (though not the actual ones I am looking at). I am about 5'9 (when I wear my heels!!! lol) I am interested in riding within a city, (Toronto, Ontario) and doing some weekend runs of about 8 hour days through the country (on paved roads). Does anyone in this group ride a busa in such a way? If so, did you get a different seat or handlebar risers? If you did, was that because you mostly wanted to, or actually had to in order to save your butt. ? Does anyone use their busa as a long distance sport tourer? Does anyone have experience with both the busa and the CBR. If so, what would your recommend? (I expect that given the name of this forum, I can hardly expect an unbiased opinion, but I have to ask)
Any help or insight will be appreciated.

Visit site sponsor Pashnit. Everything you need to set your bike up for touring. I have taken a few day long trips an was comfortable on a stock gen2. Seat change is imperative for touring. I have mot changed mine yet but if I toured frequently I would. The busa is one of the best sport trousers out there and there are many options to set one up for your comfort.

Both bikes are amazing with LSL / ABM bar kits . I have one on my hayabusa , and have ridden a CBR1000 with the LSL bar kit conversion .
If its outright handling go CBR if its comfort, handling , longer range go Hayabusa . Google touring Hayabusa pictures :)

There are about a gazillion of us that have done 5000 mile trips on our busas... The awesome thing about a Busa is that you can ride across the country and in just a few minutes have the luggage off the bike and ready to hit the twisties & curves. I have ridden with 80 lbs of luggage all over the country, pulled the luggage off and was ready to hit a week of regular Street riding. I came back from a trip one time on a Friday and was on the track roadcourse on Sat... Crazy adaptable bike!

+1 on what the previous members have said...i'm 6' and haven't changed the seat, handlebars, or pegs...this was the last trip that i've posted on here: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/threads/15-western-trip.189195/ ...6576 miles of nothing but fun! the longest single day i've done is 1080 miles...like c10 said "If its outright handling go CBR", if you want something that will allow you to tailor it to your needs and tastes, look at the Busa

p.s. yes, i'm just a bit biased :beerchug:

I ride to either the Black Hills or Colorado from Iowa every year with a few weekend trips to Wisconsin thrown in, some of which are two-up. I put the following on my 2011 Hayabusa: helibars, genmar bar riser block, corbin seat(s), SW Motech rear rack and side racks, Givi hard bags, BMW grips, Buell lowered pegs, Marsee tank bag, and lowered both ends about an inch. I only put the hard bags on if I take the wife along.

For me it's pretty comfortable, I'm right at 6'. To be honest I wish I could raise the bars about another 3/4" for long trips. I find myself riding with my left hand off the bar for miles at a time in order to sit just a bit more upright (eases neck shoulders arms). I should try cruise control.

I really love my bike and the only thing I would replace it with is a newer busa. The power is just a really COOL benefit! Don't know much about the Honda.

Thanks for all of the feedback, It is very useful, especially for confirming the busa's versatility and suitability for long trips.
Follow-up question. I was in a large bike shop today chatting with a couple of techs about the CBR vs Busa. They suggested that Kawasaki ZX1400r is a better choice than either of my options. I think they were unbiased because (1) their shop sells pretty well all bikes including snooty european ones and (2) these guys were techs, not in sales. What do any of you folks know or think about the Kawai compared to the busa?

Busa has a much bigger following and aftermarket than the ZX14.
So there are much more parts and mods available, which also makes them cheaper.

I had a gen2 Busa for 3 1/2 years(and several other bikes).
I'm 5'10", 170 lbs without gear.
I added .75" bar risers and heli-bars, then switched to dirt bike bars.
I tired of the Busa as I personally found it too uncomfortable, and I'de had a back injury, buldging discs in lower 3 vertebrets.
I traded for a B-King and loved it. I eventually sold that, and I'll be buying another gsxr1k next.
I've ridden many cbr1k's, and they are good bikes too.
Personally it feels like the Busa was made for someone whose arms are twice as long as their legs.
The gas tank is too long, and the reach to the bars with high pegs is too cramped, for ME.
Just my opinions. The Busa is a great "does everything well" bike.
You can drag knees, wheelie, stunt, drag race, tour, anything...but so can a cbr.
Best thing you can do is continue to sit on and ride as many of each as possible.
The Busa's weight isn't a problem, but 130lb lighter cbr handles a little better obviously.
Some people's bodies adapt well to a new riding position with some seat time, and any discomfort goes away.
Others never adapt, I didn't.
A different seat and bars can make or break a bike too.
And FYI, the ZX14 has a taller stock seat than a Busa. I can flatfoot a Busa, I'm on tiptoes on the ZX14, only a bit of a hassle backing up, but no biggie.
YOU NEED seat time on each to find out which is best for YOU personally.
All 3 are dependable, quality bikes.
Good luck with it.

I looked at the 14 R also, until I sat on it. Feels like you are strattling a school bus. I got off and never looked back. Hell, it felt wider than my M109R!
Troy

Another important aspect which I don't think has been mentioned yet:

Of the 2 bikes (now 3 bikes, someone threw in the 14) one thing separates them: the cool factor. The Hayabusa reputation and lines are unmistakable. The busa draws looks and comments, which I'm really not seeking but it works. :)

I bought a 2012 Hayabusa early last year (new, leftover stock for a great deal); as a touring bike. I've ridden and owned a lot of different types of bikes. My wife and I spend 1 to 2 weeks a year on our holidays doing touring; typically from 2500 to 4000 miles (4000 - 7000km), and this year we are planning to go from Edmonton AB, to New Brunswick. I'm 5'11", and the 'busa is a really awesome touring bike. I like it better than the HD Roadking I used to own; by a LONG ways. The Hayabusa is incredibly flexible bike (I commute daily for the 7 months or so I can ride); plus rip around locally, and touring. Other than the Helibars and some drop footpegs, everything is stock. It's by far my favorite bike I've owned (started riding in the 70s). I just use some Coretech soft saddlebags, and a couple of Kreiga bags across the back seat, and a small tank bag. My wife rides a Ninja 1000.

The 8 hour trips are going to be the easy part, riding downtown TO, the busa is going to feel out of place. It's big, heavy, and will cook you in stop and go traffic. I had a Gen 1 that tended to overheat in traffic, but the Gen 2 keeps it's cool better. I've ridden a CBR too, the busa in my opinion is considerably more comfortable, I'm 5'9" with no heels lol.

Fyi since everyone said their height
I'm. 5 foot 1 inch and 137 pounds .
My hayabusa is not lowered but rater raised slightly with reduced overall weight and a 190/55 series rear tire .

Hi guys, most weekend day rides over here average between 250/350 miles. I own a Gen 1, Gen 2 and a CBR1000RR with 47,000..46,000 and 42,000 miles respectively.
All standard seating and bar configuration.
The 'Blade is outstanding in the hills but gets a sight uncomfortable after about 4/5 hours in the seat. I have covered 700 miles on a 'Busa in a day and felt ready for more.
Nothing beats a 'Busa for eating up the miles in comfort and be fully laden and still overtake in the blink of an eye. Only ridden a ZX14 once, I'm too short and the bike felt
like a land barge. (my opinion). Got a couple of mates with '14s and the busa eats them through the hills...
Would I buy another 'Busa ?? Hell yeah !!

Visit site sponsor Pashnit. Everything you need to set your bike up for touring. I have taken a few day long trips an was comfortable on a stock gen2. Seat change is imperative for touring. I have mot changed mine yet but if I toured frequently I would. The busa is one of the best sport trousers out there and there are many options to set one up for your comfort.

Buy it. Ultimate sport-touring machine.

My 2nd Iron Butt was 1687 miles in 36 hours. On a Busa.

14192565006_fb4d697fa5_o.jpg

Back