Hayabusa supposed to be ugly!

kml

Donating Member
Registered
Hayabusa creator says it was meant to be ugly! - | Motorcycle News | Bike News | Motorbike Videos | MCN

Hayabusa creator says it was meant to be ugly!

Ten years after the launch of the extraordinarily successful Suzuki Hayabusa, the man responsible has finally spoken about its controversial appearance.

Koji Yoshiura spoke exclusively to MCN about creating the original 1999 machine, which gained an instant cult following as well as outraging politicians with its near-200mph capability.

Koji Yoshiura said: “The mission was to create a total new styling that will not be out of date within few years, and a styling that will be the ‘Face’ of Suzuki.

“‘Fastest production motorcycle’ was never a concept nor a target of this bike (at the beginning of the project, the Hayabusa was not 1300cc but 900cc – 1100cc, which was the main market in those days).

"As a consequence of, pursuing the best handling, acceleration, safety, power, riding ability, original styling, etc., for the good of the customers, it became the ‘Fastest production motorcycle’.

“My aim was to create a somewhat grotesque design and create a strong initial impact.

"By doing this, once the model was out in the market and the performance of it have been proven, I thought that people will start to show interest to the weird design, and then the design would be caked in peoples mind.”

cheers
ken

It stuck alright to the point where almost anyone knows what it is and everyone has to stop and look(when they don't own one)

I love it when "Marketing 101" meets "One Helluva Good Product".
Don't happen very often.

(And I was in lust the first time I saw one.)

I liked it since day one as well. I always said I wanted one, but never thought I would be able to get one.

Did some one say CAKE?

Cake?

Cake?

Well, let them eat cake! :beerchug:

Long live Hayabusa!

I never saw one (or payed attention anyway) until I got back into bikes
in 2006 and saw my first one...INSTANT LOVE AT FIRST SITE. :bowdown:

And the more I looked at not only it but what it really was and what it
could do and what it means...only made it worse.

It never looked "ugly" to me.
It was different and I loved it at first sight.
(I still have a soft spot for the copper).
I have always had and loved Suzukis.
But....
I thought I might be too old for one so I waited and got a 06 LE. :laugh:

Did some one say CAKE?

:rofl:

nom-nom-cake.jpg

Back