Hayabusa stablemate- opinions on the TL1000R

02BusaMark

Registered
As a group, you guys currently own or have owned nearly every bike on the planet. I'm reaching out for some advice here... Looking for a winter/spring deal on a stablemate for the busa. Pretty much will be a 50% road 25% track and 25% guest bike. Also will be the bike I ride when she rides my busa (she thinks its comfortable). The bike that I have my eyes most focused on is a TLR. A few things have led to this bike, but I have no experience with bike itself. Any former owners or friends of owners give me the lowdown on these cult bikes? Trying to stay under the $3,500 mark and am seeing some locally around that range. Bike seems to be a little bit of GSX and a little bit of GSX-R.

Please educate me on this bike.

The TLR is a V-twin, great bikes and if I had the extra cash I would have one. I believe it was designed to compete in the superbike championship?

Owned one. LOVED IT!!! They sound amazing. The V-twin provides great torque and is still a very quick bike. Was comfortable for all day rides for me except a hard seat. I ony sold mine because I crashed it and decided to move on rather than putting $2k in parts into it. Mine was on 01 that has 24k miles when I sold it and it ran great! Just be very cautious with what you are buying as they are getting rather old now and maintenance on them may not have been maintanied depending on the former owners. Good luck in your search

100_4580.jpg

I owned one as well. Of all the 521 bikes I've owned, this one I miss the most.

Don't expect it to be a perfect track bike as Tiller could elaborate on. It's a beast weight wise. As mentioned earlier it was originally made to compete in Superbike, but was destroyed by a certain Honda. :down:

That being said, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Things to look for:
1. Oil leaking from the clutch pushrod
2. Signs of lean conditions in the rear cylinder (these bikes run HOT) check the header pipe running into the rear cylinder for excessive heat markings
3. Make sure all the plastics are there. Plastics are VERY hard to find for this bike especially that little battery door cover :banghead:
4. Mileage. From what I've seen of these, they aren't Suzuki's flagship as far as longevity. Get a low mile one that appears to be well maintained and you'll be golden, but don't expect Busa longevity.
5. BUY ONE! Have fun, take pics, and LOVE IT!

:beerchug:

An old riding buddy had an RC51 and I rode it a couple times, so I have some experience with v-twin sportbikes, just not the TLR. I assume the parts are often interchangeable with the busa and gsxr's.

An old riding buddy had an RC51 and I rode it a couple times, so I have some experience with v-twin sportbikes, just not the TLR. I assume the parts are often interchangeable with the busa and gsxr's.

The TLR is its own beast. I can't think of a single thing that would've been interchangeable with my buddy's SRAD at the time.. Even the footpegs were different.

Not trying to "correct" you, but don't want you thinking parts will be readily available.

So many choices.. Just buy a 600. my Wife has a R6 and she loves it.. I love it.. they make great track bikes.. Yami it the only other brand I would own..

If he's looking for a V-twin, he's not gonna be happy with an R6.. :whistle:

I nearly bought one before my first Busa. Dealer let me keep it for a day. Pros and Cons:

Pros: awesome sound, good looking
Cons: underpowered (way less than a GSXR1000), very heavy, less comfortable riding style than a Busa (more forward leaning)

For what you're after, I'd say the GSX600 or 750 would be nice, but as the others have said, the TLR is just a bike you fall in love with. I'd buy one!

The TLR is its own beast. I can't think of a single thing that would've been interchangeable with my buddy's SRAD at the time.. Even the footpegs were different.

Not trying to "correct" you, but don't want you thinking parts will be readily available.

I'm pretty sure the Busa and TLR wheels, calipers and forks are the same...

I'm pretty sure the Busa and TLR wheels, calipers and forks are the same...

Wheels yeah, not sure about the forks, but also can't say I'd ever try. :laugh:

I was meaning the majority of parts in general that wouldn't swap over. :beerchug:

Sold the gsxr 600 last summer- fun bike, but looking for something different. Gotta be honest, I'm keeping an open mind to an early to mid 00's 750, 1K, and R6. Even open to an R1 if the price is right. Would like to stay FI if possible. These bikes will all serve the purposes I've set out. All things the same, tho, and I'll choose the TLR over all of the others because I haven't ever had one and they are so freakin' cool.

Back to info about the bike- heat issues? Do they just run smoking hot? Seating- is it a comfy stock Suzuki seat or a hardwood Honda feeling seat? Riding position- more aggressive than a gsxr of a similar year? Two-up riding capable or is it too hot back there for a passenger? Weight- do they feel as heavy as they are or are they nimble?

Back to info about the bike- heat issues? Do they just run smoking hot? Seating- is it a comfy stock Suzuki seat or a hardwood Honda feeling seat? Riding position- more aggressive than a gsxr of a similar year? Two-up riding capable or is it too hot back there for a passenger? Weight- do they feel as heavy as they are or are they nimble?

They run hot. Like header glowing hot. Seating is comfy. Ergo's comparable to the SRAD Gsxr's.. Two up riding is not an issue, it's got a Busa sized rear seat. Not hot on the passenger as the exhaust isn't under seat..

They feel a little heavy, but that goes away as you ride. It's a "different" weight... Once you are feeling the torque, and hearing the beast come alive, you couldn't care less about the extra 20lbs.. :beerchug:

I had a 99 and loved it. Only downside for me was the heat from the rear cylinder hard boiling my eggs when stopped, otherwise, I'd have another in a second.

Decent handling, great power and awesome sound! Mine wore Jardine slip-ons and really barked. Plus, the TL-R is just awesome to look at. Hmm, I think I'll start shopping too! :laugh:

4849510496_9c7bff7916_b.jpg

I love the TL's, good handling, and enough power to be fun to ride. They wheelie nice too.
R6/R1, Ha! under powered and over rated!

It's a different kind of animal,,good torque and sound, but a different power band than the i4's. A bit heavy, but good bikes imo. Oh,,they do t like to wheelie for extended periods of time, the oil starve.

Two Words: Thigh Roaster.

That said, they are awesome bikes! They sound really unique, have plenty of power, and look good! Dont listen to all the crazys who talk about the rear suspension; with proper setup its a good riding machine...and there are kits out there to cover the frame rails (Highly Recomended!)

Don't get too scared off by the heat issue.

My M109R could cook a turkey at a stop sign.. The Tiller was not nearly that bad..

Back