Hayabusa revival project

jarredtipton

Registered
Hey guys, just got a 2001 Hayabusa. I picked it up for $2000 with a clean title. Owner said it hasn't been started in 2 years and doesn't run. It has full HMF exhaust, power commander II, Penske rear shock, and HID lights. Previous owner also said it had engine work done, but was unable to give me any details, just that it has higher compression now. He never winterized it. The battery is dead and there is a bunch of old gas in the tank as well as some rust. It has about 17000 miles.

Here's my plan:

1. clean fuel tank
2. send injectors to get cleaned
3. get new fuel pump assembly and do the fuel filter mod (if anyone has a good used one I would be interested in purchasing it otherwise I'm stuck getting a new one)
4.change oil, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid
5. new spark plugs and fuel line
6. new chain
7. new tires
8. new battery

I'll probably sell the Penske shock and just install a Gen II rear shock to save money.

I wasn't going to buy a new fuel pump assembly, but the old one is extremely rusted, all the wire connectors snapped off when I was dissembling it to do the fuel filter mod.

Anybody have any advice for me on my project that I might of missed? Think I got a decent deal or over paid?

I've never had a Hayabusa before. My past bikes are: 1993 Suzuki gs500e, 2008 Kawasaki z1000, 2003 Suzuki sv1000, 2012 Kawasaki z1000, 2007 Yamaha fz1, and currently a 2014 honda vfr800.

thumbnail (11).jpeg

Put the time in to check list all the stuff you have to do to a 17 year old bike that's been sitting. Paint is interesting. Photograph & post up transformation is mandatory.

Sprockets and cush drive rubbers, new valve stems too. Sand the surface rust off the rotors and check the brake pads. Doesn’t take long at all using a sanding disc on a drill. EBC HH pads are excellent. I’d also add braided SS brake lines, at least on the front. Good luck on the refresh! Oh, tell us what the plugs look like. They may have some good information.

Hey guys, just got a 2001 Hayabusa. I picked it up for $2000 with a clean title. Owner said it hasn't been started in 2 years and doesn't run. It has full HMF exhaust, power commander II, Penske rear shock, and HID lights. Previous owner also said it had engine work done, but was unable to give me any details, just that it has higher compression now. He never winterized it. The battery is dead and there is a bunch of old gas in the tank as well as some rust. It has about 17000 miles.

Here's my plan:

1. clean fuel tank
2. send injectors to get cleaned
3. get new fuel pump assembly and do the fuel filter mod (if anyone has a good used one I would be interested in purchasing it otherwise I'm stuck getting a new one)
4.change oil, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid
5. new spark plugs and fuel line
6. new chain
7. new tires
8. new battery

I'll probably sell the Penske shock and just install a Gen II rear shock to save money.

I wasn't going to buy a new fuel pump assembly, but the old one is extremely rusted, all the wire connectors snapped off when I was dissembling it to do the fuel filter mod.

Anybody have any advice for me on my project that I might of missed? Think I got a decent deal or over paid?

I've never had a Hayabusa before. My past bikes are: 1993 Suzuki gs500e, 2008 Kawasaki z1000, 2003 Suzuki sv1000, 2012 Kawasaki z1000, 2007 Yamaha fz1, and currently a 2014 honda vfr800.

View attachment 1589769
I would suggest you get it running before sending the injectors.
Change out the plugs, wires, drain and flush fuel change the oil and throw a new battery in see if it cranks over and runs. I only speak from experience...customers bring vehicles in sometimes and my techs don’t start small and rip and entire vehicle down when we don’t even know how it ran when it came in. Once you have it running then pull it down to do coolant, fuel pump and all. That way you are not stuck questioning about an issue that could have been pre-existing. As wuzza said you can check the plugs out too.

It’s blue so that is a big plus!! I love blue!

If you need parts everyone here will help and hook you up, I don’t have a fuel pump though I am sorry.
I have oe Cush rubbers like new 13k on them
Stock rear sprocket and hub assy, stock steering damper mint condition

Heres a pic of the nasty fuel pump, the connector of all 3 wires broke off due to rust as I was unscrewing them. Think there's any way to salvage it? Maybe just put new connectors on?View attachment 1589776
I’m sure you could put new connectors on. Even to just get it working enough to run the bike. I’m not sure I would run that long term it’s not worth the risk. You want a bike that you can have complete faith in. That pump is like a cheap date, she may put out but who knows what she isn’t telling you.

I've never heard of stainless steel lines degrading, Those should be fine, but when you pop the cap & look in the master cylinder, the brake fluid will be black, it needs to be drained and replaced with new fluid. Seals can go bad over time in the calipers or mastery cylinder, but if you have good feel, they are likely fine.

Cush Drives if you want to replace them: http://www.pashnitmoto.com/cush-drives-s/77.htm

Just to clarify, I can use any 2001-2007 fuel pump assembly right? And thanks for the cush drive recommendation, I hadn't thought of that.

first things first... previous owner said it had "motor work done"... before spening a lot of money on ANYTHING.... clean the tank.... do ure best with the injectors... battery... and MAKE SURE it runs and the motor isn't hurt.
I don't believe owner would lie to me, cousin's father in law and we see each other frequently. He is just moving and was clearing out his garage. But hopefully I'm not giving him to much credit.

You can upgrade to an 02-07 ecu, and supporting parts, as the 99-01 ecu's cannot be flashed.
New tires and valve stems.

Any link to the supporting parts I would need? I don't plan on doing this until I get it running, but it would be nice to know.

also an update, I ordered a used fuel pump assembly off Ebay. Should I do the fuel filter mod or just wait until I have issues down the road to do it?

Hmm, maybe the coils for the 2nd and 4th cylinders aren’t hot enough. The 3rd and 1st are just marginally better looking. Only 3-4 threads should be that dark.

Hmm, maybe the coils for the 2nd and 4th cylinders aren’t hot enough. The 3rd and 1st are just marginally better looking. Only 3-4 threads should be that dark.

Could it be caused by just starting the bike occasionally in the garage until over time it wouldn't start anymore? Thats what the previous owner said he had done. Whats would the possible fixes be?

The results of something like that would likely be the same across all cylinders. I’m not the best in diagnosing especially from pics but this could also be a fueling problem, more so in one or more cylinders than others indicating dirty or clogged injectors as a result of a clogged and dirty fuel pump.

Could it be caused by just starting the bike occasionally in the garage until over time it wouldn't start anymore? Thats what the previous owner said he had done. Whats would the possible fixes be?
Plugs would be fouled like that if the bike was started and idled for a while. Change them out and see how it runs- I'll bet it will be OK..

Back