Hayabusa.org access

OB_shaun

Registered
Here is a copy of some email I sent to BigDog. I thought I'd post it here as well, to see what others think.

Thanks,
Shaun

Hello,

I have just returned from a gathering of Melbourne (Australia) Hayabusa
owners. It was a fantastic experience to meet, chat and have all those
Hayabusa's ride together - it would have made an amazing sight!

The reason I am writing to you is that it became apparent just how much
information has been passed on through www.hayabusa.org. We probably would
not have even met if it weren't for this Web-site.

However, there were also at least a couple of owners who did not know about
the site, which brings me to the purpose of this message - It's obvious that
the banning of _all_ of Australia is hurting us.

There is a thread currently running in general forum asking how people found
the site, and by far the most common response is "by a search engine".
Unfortunately, for any Australians visiting the site, we are greeted with
a most unfriendly message that (unless you look very closely) resembles
your typical "dead/abandoned" web-site. At least an explanation page would
be nice!

I myself had no idea what was going on. I just thought you must be having
server troubles, but I persisted for week after week until Volvi kindly
pointed out what was going on.

I could go on and on, but this is long enough already. I strongly urge you
to consider removing this ban, and perhaps take other measures to prevent
people such as "Mr. Packer" ruining it for all of us.

I think all of Hayabusa.org will ultimately be the poorer from restricted
access, because it's losing the one thing that makes it so great - owners
discussing and contributing valuable information!

Thanks for reading this far, I look forward to your reply.

Shaun Fielder

--
Shaun Fielder, X/Motif Software Engineer
Open Software Associates. PO Box 625, Box Hill VIC 3128, Australia.
Phone: +613 9895-2154, Fax: +613 9895-2020, email: shaun@osa.com.au
~

Thank you.

Unfortunately, no - the ban has not been lifted. There are ways around, as my posting proves...

I just want normal, easy access, and perhaps some other means for keeping "undesirables" out.

Shaun

My reply...since people insisting on trying to test things in the court of public opinion -WEARY GRIN-

Shaun,

While we appreciate your standpoint, we'll tell you exactly what we told others...

If we were running just hayabusa.org, that might be possible...this is not the case...we have other customers on this server.

We're not going to allow someone to attempt to breach security on our server...for any reason. I've shut down the better part of Arizona before and I've shut down most of New York before...Australia will have to happen for awhile. We are running a business and there is absolutely no way that we will allow someone to, in effect, punish our customers because they feel like being an idiot.

I'm sorry you're not able to access currently, I really am. But until he decides he isn't the idiot he's proven to be so far, we cannot risk the security of the businesses that pay us for our services.

While posting to the site may get you sympathy, it will do nothing towards changing this. Surely you can see that allowing 9 people (that's how many are affected by this...out of almost 800) access to a free site is less important than the security of quite a few paying business sites.

BigDog

BigDog... We all understand the need to protect your servers. There is absolutely no question there, from any of us. But there has to be a better way than shutting down a whole country? Can't you firewall a range of ip addresses? I don't know what it is but there has to be a better way.

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 14 February 2000).]

Here's a solution that I'm fairly sure can work for you undeservedly ostracized Aussies.

Packa IS mellowing as his health improves and his new ride gets closer. I've seen it.

Why don't you engage him in a reasonable dialogue on LAbusas, where he frequently posts, and persuade him to write Chase (Big Dog) an e-mail undertaking that for the common good of his countrymen he either won't post on .ORG at all or if he does post he'll be civil?

If he's convincing enough and has you folks vouching for him, Chase may relent. I'd vouch for him if he'd write the e-mail. Maui might too.

Why don't you post a new topic titled "CAN PACKA PLAY FAIR?", "IS PACKA A TRUE AUSSIE?" or somesuch and present your case. I doubt that Packa, merciless rebel though he may be, is prepared to be so selfish in public as to prevent all of you innocent civilians who he's never even met from joining .org and using your membership here to enhance your riding lives.

If he were to refuse under those circumstances, my guess is he'd lose whatever support he now enjoys at LAbusas.

It could backfire like a Harley, but it's worth a try.

Back