Hayabusa Oil Change - modded schedule - milages

Berlin Germany

Registered
hi dears,
depending on this post
and using for 15 minutes the search-function of this forum (found no real fitting theme)
i thought it could be a good idea to write down what MY experiences at oil are :

at 1st - the suzuki schedules from manuals say:
at gen1 - change oil every 6000 km & and replace filter every 18000 km
at gen2 - until 2014 - really the same
then at gen2 - up from 2015 - change oil every 12000 km & and replace filter every 24000 km :shocked:

what´s that with the L5 + (and younger / later) ? double the milage than before ?

did they change things / materials inside motor or type of oil ?
neither nor !
this answer
i got from Suzuki Germany in an official email near 2 years ago

including the new schedule (see proving pic below) - look at line 8 (oil) and line 9 (filter) - the "W" means change/replace
Wartungsplan Gen II ab Bj. 2015 - Suzuki original.jpg

following this new schedule for "oil / filter" and regarding that absolutely nothing was changed inside motor,
I say! that these milages can be taken for all busas from ´99 on til today - I take the middle of it - i change oil at my ´00 after 9000 km +/- 500 km

with one restriction - how is the motorcycle used?
a. just drive to the bakery and back
b. mainly, over 80% of milage and a lot more than 30-40 km per direction / tour and the oil temp. is minimum at 80°C (or higher)

if a. , then the oil change intervals should be shorter - I recommend around 3000-5000 km max and once a year,
because on these short distances the oil never gets really warm and therefore no foreign substances such as condensed water or gasoline can evaporate, thus remaining in the oil and shortening its "life" considerably

if b. , then the change/replace intervals can even be extended by a factor of 1.25 - 1.50 that I estimate
because then the oil can not get as "dirty" as in the short distances under a.

generally can be said
that in this comparison it is no question if you use a mineral , half or full synthetic oil.
only how warm / hot the oil gets and how much "dirt" stays in the oil.

by the way :
a good friend of mine tested this on a special motor test bench .
he did a 40000 km test run without stops.
then they examined the oil chemically in their laboratory
and the oil was still fine.
this showed that if the oil temperature always reaches 95-100 ° C, the lubricity of the oil is almost fully preserved and the oil can best fulfill its task.

by the way 2nd :
the petrol fueled "yellow cabs" (taxi) here in berlin usually make arround 1 million km because they never stop the motor especially in cold winter times, the diesels make arround 1.5 million km :shocked:

:popcorn: main , last and only question is what kind of "user" you are. :popcorn: :D

big sorry for my "doctor´s" thesis again
schaem.gif

but you can´t explain this theme in only a few words.

yeah pie is back again

thanks for it - lool -

dear ssgt_b pls keep on writing this way . that keeps the very big grin in my face + lots of tears on my cheeks
and my minute becomes great.
YES!

Oil every 3500 miles , and oil / filter at 7500 miles . There is a print somewhere that states this , and not the 11,000 miles in owners manual for filter replacement .

at c10, cantab , yellow

you didn´t it wrong for sure - thumb up

but according to the last suzuki maintenance schedule (shown above) you're "wasting" money a bit ;)

or even not,
if you are more one of the "baker's visitors " :) ;)

at the end this theme is good for a lot of pie / pancakes / :popcorn: plus tons of coffee or so :D

my opinion - oil change is depending at the special use of bike

at c10, cantab , yellow

you didn´t it wrong for sure - thumb up

but according to the last suzuki maintenance schedule (shown above) you're "wasting" money a bit ;)

or even not,
if you are more one of the "baker's visitors " :) ;)

at the end this theme is good for a lot of pie / pancakes / :popcorn: plus tons of coffee or so :D

my opinion - oil change is depending at the special use of bike

I don't ride a whole lot so my 6000km oil change is once a season so it's not entirely a waste of money as I do it once a year basically.

I also don't like to idle my bike nor has it seen redline since I've owned it so it is living a pretty pampered life to begin with.

yeah yellow - all done fine - for sure - i´m with your opinion
"1 or 2 bucks" more for maintenance shouldn´t matter for "lovers".

but possibly for strong users with a lot over 10000 km per year e.g. in job and a little need to save money. ;-)

each one at his own opinion

I too am a 6000km change and replace oil filter, semi synth, my bike uses about 500mls max each interval, but it does around 12000kms a year and it has 126000km on it.
I’ll stick to the way I’ve been doing it, cheap insurance I reckon, rebuilding a lunched engine is pricey!!

Thanks for taking the time to write this out the way you did @Berlin Germany - especially because english is not your first language.
Appreciate the effort.

Even tho they seem to have upgraded the maintenance schedule- I will stick to my 6000 km - 3700 miles oil changes and 2:1 ratio in changing filters!

+1
except every 4k miles
and a SS oil filter that I'll pull and flush every oil change ... theoretically.

Being german and someone saying SS makes me always uncomfortable.....lol

One of my ex-army buddies is married to a German lady (great gal) and her brother came for a visit. One of their neighbours has an Impala SS and the brother was very upset by the SS badging until it was explained it meant Super Sport. Incredible how many generations that stuff sticks around for...

My dad was a real "Archie Bunker" type guy but drove a Volkswagen and rode a Yamaha bike...I used to give him the gears over that all the time...

One of my ex-army buddies is married to a German lady (great gal) and her brother came for a visit. One of their neighbours has an Impala SS and the brother was very upset by the SS badging until it was explained it meant Super Sport. Incredible how many generations that stuff sticks around for...

My dad was a real "Archie Bunker" type guy but drove a Volkswagen and rode a Yamaha bike...I used to give him the gears over that all the time...
in germany until this day- you cannot decide entirely what letters you can put on your license plate.

We have it like this

The first letter is the city. and everything afterwards you can choose by yourself.
EXCEPT- No SS/ AH (adolf hitler)...or anything else what potentially COULD be related to that... :banghead:

Speaking of old germans.
My grandpa was a WW2 veteran and obviously on the german side. (he never talked about it but I know He was in stalingrad and fought there until he was captured and held in a POW camp for over 1 year.)

On my first day in elementary school - we celebrated afterwards with the family in a restaurant and my grandpa asked me just one question in front of everyone- Do you have any "foreigners/immigrants" in your class.
I had no idea what he meant because I was 5 at the time. My Dad gave him a very sharp look and they left the restaurant together to have a talk.LOL
Years later I understood what he meant by that....

in germany until this day- you cannot decide entirely what letters you can put on your license plate.

We have it like this
View attachment 1610538

The first letter is the city. and everything afterwards you can choose by yourself.
EXCEPT- No SS/ AH (adolf hitler)...or anything else what potentially COULD be related to that... :banghead:
You can choose your plate in most if not all US states, but they cost more and your choice can be denied if viewed as inappropriate, or if someone complains. I've had a few in both California and Illinois, I like em!

Speaking of old germans.
My grandpa was a WW2 veteran and obviously on the german side. (he never talked about it but I know He was in stalingrad and fought there until he was captured and held in a POW camp for over 1 year.)

On my first day in elementary school - we celebrated afterwards with the family in a restaurant and my grandpa asked me just one question in front of everyone- Do you have any "foreigners/immigrants" in your class.
I had no idea what he meant because I was 5 at the time. My Dad gave him a very sharp look and they left the restaurant together to have a talk.LOL
Years later I understood what he meant by that....
One of my buddies (former Canadian Army guy) who is first generation Canadian of German descent, around Remembrance Day he'd tell us the story of his dad being at Normandy beach....waiting for our grand dads/dads....

His dad was riding a bicycle with a Panzerschreck and was looking to take out tanks...he got wounded and captured by the Allies...

Always interesting to have a different perspective

Back