Hayabusa Insurance?!

(silencer)

Registered
Hey.. I'm new to the boards and have been drooling over the Hayabusa since I saw it in an early '99 issue of Cycle World. That bike got me hooked.. and I was able to buy a '99 Ninja 500 about a year later. Currently, I'm almost 25 (lower insurance - yeah!) and I pay $110/12 mo on my Ninja with Progressive. I've never had an accident, and haven't had a ticket in over 3 years (but never on the Ninja.. just my Eclipse, which I went to the driver safety class for). Well I'm finally looking at buying a 'busa, and when I got an insurance quote I had to change my shorts. $1000 comprehensive & collision deductables with minimum coverage comes to a total of.. $2,786 / 12 mo. Say WHAT? I'm always extremely careful when I ride.. and the worst thing I'm worried about is theft.. with $1000 comprehensive deductible and no collision coverage that number is down to $1,255 / 12 mo. - which is tolerable. In Orlando, the collision is much more expensive than the comprehensive coverage, but is still unreal.
I've searched through the boards and saw some of you are paying less than $100 a month, so I see there's hope for the future - but how much of a risk would it be to ride without collision insurance.. if I'm not the fault of an accident the cager will be buying my new bike..? Time to get married and buy a house to fill those insurance rate minimizer categories. :D
For someone who is one of the most conservative riders alive.. what should I expect to pay for insurance within the next couple years? If ya don't mind sharing.. how much do ya pay and for what coverage?
Thanks,
si.

USAA
Full Coverage
$260 for six months!

I don't know what kind of ridding experience some of you guys/gals have but something isn't right with your quotes? That is just insane. The worst quote I got was when I was 17 on a 98 CBR900RR $3,200 for six months in Houston TX!

How long have you been with your current insurance company? How many claims have you had regardless if they were your fault or not? How many miles a year do you ride? Any discounts? What kind of a deductible?

I would laugh in there face if they gave me a ridiculous quote like that. I could be riding in Germany on the Autobahn for that price! :cool:

Josh

I'm with USAA also and mine (for major coverage but I'm older too) is under $300 per 6 months. Shop around, insurance varies greatly among companies. :tounge:

I have State Farm and my insurance runs $300 per year for full coverage with higher than the state minimum limits and $500 deductibles. My TLR is only $240 per year :cool:

I have State Farm and my insurance runs $300 per year for full coverage with higher than the state minimum limits and $500 deductibles.  My TLR is only $240 per year   :cool:
Yep give State Farm a call. They don't care what you ride just how much it is going to cost them to fix it if the need comes around.

State Farm seems to be pretty fair. I pay $360 a year (clean record, motorcycle safety course, old, etc) You will need to have other insurance with them (auto or something).
Some of the "other" companies like Progressive will triple (or more) your rates if you have any type of claim or violation.
Shop around , good luck.

I was paying $1096 per year with Geico. This is for liability, PPI, all that junk with NO collision, and a $500 deductible for comprehensive ( I was more worried about the bike being stolen than me crashing). When I turned 25, I called Geico up and had them adjust my policy to reflect my mature rider discount and my new insurance rate for the same coverage was $253 per year. Pretty nice to save $840 per year. Now, I have full coverage with $250 deductibles on comp and coll and I pay $980 per year through Geico CycleGuard. What a difference turning 25 made.

By the way, I checked all the major insurance companies including progressive, and this was by far the cheapest for me. Progressive wanted triple what I was paying now.

Chris

$2,786 a year

Man dude I would make some phone calls.
I have state farm and pay about $400 per year, full coverage, and a only $100 deductible. My State farm agent only insures my Bikes, but I am thinking about switching my autos to her also. She has always been very agressive on pricing.
I also did the search with all the other companies, pretty much a waste of time.
I am a bit older, 44, have no tickets, but I live in Cali.
OBTW, I have a 16 year old son who drives '99 turdo Mitsubishi Eclipse, and the rates through her were much cheaper also, again full coverage.
Keep looking and good luck
Ride safe

with $1000 comprehensive deductible and no collision coverage that number is down to $1,255 / 12 mo. - which is tolerable.
$1255/mo is tolerable?

You have to call around. I had quotes that went as high as $9000 per year. State Farm had the best quote initially at $350 per year.

I have since switched to USAA. $500 deductible, full coverage, $105 per six months or $210 per year on a multi-bike, multi car policy.

If more people took a course in microeconomics, dealerships and insurance wouldn't get away with charging people inflated charges for goods and services.

While I love the Busa, I could never get $1255 + financing costs per month enjoyment out of owning one. :eek:

Some of you guys are doing fairly well. Mine is $663/year with full coverage and I thought I was doing good. I can't complain about that number though.

Just got mine set up and it is $270/yr (give or take a dollar) and that is through State Farm. We just did the house and the other vehicles as well and it saved us a bunch on the house insurance. I figured I couldn't complain at under 23/mos for the bike. That is with 250/100 deductibles.

Just a thought, but the rates in Florida are quite a bit higher than a lot of other polaces in the country. Try living in Tampa itself. Whew...Even with USAA and spotless record I am up around the $800 per year full coverage. A whole lot of how much you are going to pay depends on where you live...Oh and Progressive is a pack of Jackels...they should be flogged...
State farm might be the best bet....

I have State Farm and I pay 112.00$ a month.. Yeah I said a month, 29yo married with two new cars no speeding tickets or claims for me or my wife.. They told me it was all about where you live, and that price is with the MSF discount!! Can you say RIPOFF!!!!

i pay $900 a year with full coverage 23 yrs old in an apt in atlanta with 500/250 deduct with msf, but they said they didn't care, i have state farm and have had them since i was 16, no accidents, a few tickets, but i don't think they know about any of them, and i have the good student discount, about 20% off the top. i checked progressive and they were about 3-4 times that, i'm about to get married in 6 days, and it will go down, not sure by how much though

Some of you guys are doing fairly well.  Mine is $663/year with full coverage and I thought I was doing good.  I can't complain about that number though.
Banditoo, who are you insuring with.......mines nearly double that, and that's with a 43% discount with ICBC, 43% is the highest possible, I've never had an accident.(knock on wood)
Insurance is crazy in B.C. but there's not alot of options.
In B.C. you have to buy basic through ICBC, and basic for me is $900 and change, then add whatever else you want on top of that.
ICBC pretty much has it covered except for a few small companies that you can purchase collision, and specified perils(glass breakage, fire, and theft) through......but the savings doesn't amount to much. :crazy:

I pay 770.00 in Taxachusettes. :eek:

I'm a step9 wich is the best you can get. Up here it's state regulated. Try progressive.com...............

Hey guys:
Here's a good one !
I'm an older 50+ rider . No claims or tickets...ever.
Currently own and ride an '02 BMW K12LT and an '03 GL1800 Honda Wing.
Approximately $600.00 for FULL coverage on BOTH motorcycles.

When I inquired about adding my new 'busa,
Progressive wanted nearly an extra $1000.00 for liability and full comprehensive .

So.......
I payed cash for my new 'busa.
and decided to just carry liability.

Called my agent, and ....

two weeks later got a $4.00 check REFUND ...
to ADD the 'busa to my policy !!
Go figure it out .
Roaddust

Hmmm, Pay out $4 to get $200 as revenue when they couldn't get you for $1k. Sounds like the american way to me. They may have realized that you could do better elsewhere. Don't disappoint them. :D

divorced
Full coverage/$500 deductable
$550/yr
State Farm (The best choice around here unless you have a terrible record)

But it is true that it varies GREATLY depending on you zip. Can't do anything about it but move where theft & claim rates are lower. It is all based upon statistics.

Back