Hayabusa in thailand

mzbk2l

Registered
Anybody ever do any riding (or driving) in Thailand? I just got back from my second vacation there... spent 3 weeks in various parts of the country. Apparently it's not legal to sell or manufacture any motorbike larger than 125cc, although it is ok to import them. As a result, the country is packed with little Honda and Suzuki scooters, but very few actual motorcycles.

In my 2nd week of vacation, I stayed on the resort island of Koh Samui, on the Pacific side. There, I rented a 125cc scooter to get used to riding on the left side of the road.

My 3rd week I was on the island of Phuket, on the Indian Ocean side (one of the places that was hard hit by the tsunami in December of 2004). For the first few days I had a Honda Phantom 250 single cylinder cruiser, but for the last couple of days I rented a Hayabusa.

What a difference from Arizona!!! I'm used to long, straight, multi-lane freeways with long sight distances. It took some getting used to to ride on narrow, curvy switchback roads climbing up and down mountains. There are almost NO straight stretches of road whatsoever, and you're almost always headed either uphill or downhill, so I hardly ever got the thing past 3rd gear.

Still, it was fun being the only vehicle on the road that could rapidly accelarate UP 12-14% grades.
smile.gif

The bike was a 2000 with about 30,000 miles on it, and it had been ragged on pretty hard. Every time I pulled in the clutch and coasted, I got a sharp "KNOCK, KNOCK" from the gear case, and even though the chain tension was good, it had a horrible tip-in/tip-out jerk when you would go to or from closed throttle.

Probably the coolest thing about Thailand, no matter what you're riding, is seeing all the chicks in short skirts and high heels riding motorbikes. Here's a picture from my bike sitting at a stoplight. (Oh, yeah, and you'd FLIP OUT to see some lady riding around with her 2-3 year old kid on the seat behind her, just wearing flip-flops and no helmet, and holding on... definitely a different culture over there!)

<!--EDIT|mzbk2l
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154511620 -->

CIMG0680__Small_.JPG

Was lucky enough to have spent 3 full months in Thailand (Pattaya, down south, Utapao, Samesan and bangkok) and I witnessed firsthand the bike scene there as you described (and the skirts of course....on bikes and in clubs....he, he).
blush.gif

Got any pics of the tuk-tuks...bikes with a "cage" around it to haul people and cargo??

Was lucky enough to have spent 3 full months in Thailand (Pattaya, down south, Utapao, Samesan and bangkok) and I witnessed firsthand the bike scene there as you described (and the skirts of course....on bikes and in clubs....he, he).
blush.gif

Got any pics of the tuk-tuks...bikes with a "cage" around it to haul people and cargo??

I don't have any good pics of a tuk-tuk, but if you look on the left side of this picture from Chiangmai, you can see a few of them clustered around, waiting for customers.

As for the high heels, I didn't get too many pics that I'm willing to share. I spent my whole 3 weeks with a girl I met there last time, and she did not look favorably on my wanting pictures of other girls. I got plenty of pictures of her - with and without shoes - but I'm not sharing those.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

CIMG0168a.JPG

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I spent a week(5 days) '98 in Phuket it was scooter city their and OMG the girls were AWSOME!! That is diffently a place to visit if you get a chance.:D
biggrin.gif
When I was their I saw two Ninja's 600's, 1 GSXR , and 1 HD softail w/ a Hot English chick riding it. Yes I did hook up with her for two days:p , and no I didn't ride #####. Riding in Tailand is like riding Deals Gap but stretched twice as long.

Dayum...that looks almost like India...!!!
smile.gif
I was there just for about 12 hours (Bangkok) to change planes when I was flying from Australia to India and it did look a lot like home. But I didn't realize then that they drive on the left side too...!!! Maybe I just took it for granted then and overlooked it, cos at that point of time, driving on the right side of the road didn't really exist for me  
biggrin.gif
(Australia, India, Bangkok - all on the left side)

Thailand is awesome. Lots of beautiful people in general.

I did see a Hayabusa in Bangkok back in 2005. Its a terrible place to have a high speed anything! Too dangerous for any motorcycle/moped.

<!--EDIT|84NinjaDreamin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154558195 -->

I spent about 2 seeks in phuket and rented a 600cc honda. What worried me is the fact that there is no insurance there when you rent a bike what-so-ever and that they ask for a passport as collateral. Luckily I had just renewed my passport and they gave me the old cancelled one. So...I gave the cancelled one to him. He was pretty mad when I returned the bike but I was very happy not to risk my passport.

As for the riding...fun stuff! It was a little bit too windy though for a cruiser I think, with my pegs scraping the ground on several occasions at not really high speeds.

My bike had a busted speedometer and it just didn't feel like it was in good condition.

No pics...but it's a whole different world out there!!

Back