Hayabusa Drag Race...

Sad...just sad...
sad.gif

Very sad. He was chasing him for what reason?
rock.gif
High speed pursuits kill cops, assailants, and worst of all innocent people. Don't do em, especially at 100mph+.
wink.gif

Yeah, I know it's a hard call, but I lean more and more toward just not chasing these guys...certainly won't teach 'em that racing at high speeds on public roads is a big no-no, but many lives would have been spared if they didn't pursue...

...just a tough decision either way...

This has been all over the news down here in Florida because it happened in DeLand. Apparently the short version is the Trooper got a call of a motorcyclist and a automabile were racing on the interstate. The cycle was a busa and the automobile was a Red Porsche. The trooper gave chase to the busa, because I think the Porsche had exited the highway prior to the trooper responding. The troopers tire blew out and lost control...cutting his car in half and ultimately killing the trooper. The cought the busa rider later and have begun filing several charges against him. Last I heard they had not located the porsche.

Busa_m

80% of all drivers speed, and with a Hayabusa, it is almost a given. However, running from the police is a whole new ball game. It generates the need for split second decisions and pinpoint moves that do endanger lives. I say lighten up on the price of a speeding ticket, and make the penalty for running ver, very extreme....high fine, loss of license, mandatory jail time, etc. We need to remove the motivation and temptation for running, and provide a disincentive.

80% of all drivers speed, and with a Hayabusa, it is almost a given. However, running from the police is a whole new ball game. It generates the need for split second decisions and pinpoint moves that do endanger lives. I say lighten up on the price of a speeding ticket, and make the penalty for running ver, very extreme....high fine, loss of license, mandatory jail time, etc. We need to remove the motivation and temptation for running, and provide a disincentive.
Well said...just got to catch 'em...

Curiously in the story the RP stated that it was a Suzuki 1300, if they were racing that fast how would they have been able to indentify the small numbers on the tail side?
rock.gif
I don't think the argument that they were familiar with that type of bike would work either, If a fellow Busa owner saw one scream by, even if too closely, they would probably say kick ass.
wink.gif

Curiously in the story the RP stated that it was a Suzuki 1300, if they were racing that fast how would they have been able to indentify the small numbers on the tail side?
rock.gif
I don't think the argument that they were familiar with that type of bike would work either, If a fellow Busa owner saw one scream by, even if too closely, they would probably say kick ass.
wink.gif
yeah what JT2 said. erm?

so was he realy running or he was just racing and the cop was trying to catch up to him
rock.gif
wonder if he ever saw the cop or not
rock.gif
who knows

rock.gif

hmm.... seems unlikely that they would be able to tell what kinda of bike it was if they came past moving over 100mph. Even if you are going 60-70 and something buzzes you at 100+, you will have a hard time figuring out what just went past you....you know it was a bike or car, but betcha dollars to doughnuts you can't tell me what it was.

Its sad to hear the trooper lost his life, but this really brings up the whole high speed chase vs. public safety debate ... I say let them run or get a helicopter to follow them, then track them down in a safe manner. I know around here cops are NOT supposed to engage in high speed chases, anything over 100mph they are supposed to break it off, but thats city/local cops, if you find a NCHP, they will chase you til your tank runs dry
wow.gif

I know around here cops are NOT supposed to engage in high speed chases, anything over 100mph they are supposed to break it off
Hell i didnt think cops were supposed to chase either but hey oh well. I know there have been a bunch of times riding at night i blow past a cop not seein them and attempt to slow down look in the rear view and they dont even come out of the grass. Guess they figure its a lost battle. But im all for decreasing the price of speeding tickets.

just read the artical. didnt think people actually called crap in like that. must be old people

That sucks, That guy was from my hometown of Palm Coast. I do not see it as the motorcycle caused it though, The cop did not have to be chaseing at 100 they can just as easly call ahead to another unit. Sucks that a nail took him out though.

I don't get it though, did the motorcycle have a flat too? they said they caught the guy fixing a flat. How do they know it was the same guy i wonder, unless the bike was a custom color.

Yeah and can they prove that the guy actually saw the cop? If not than they cant charge him with fleeing.

I think this is a hard one I feel for the police officer's family but I'm with HIM. I really dont think they can prove that it was his bike!!! I'm a Po PO also but I agree at that speed I dont think you could ID the rider or the bike It would be hard. If it Judges in My town he would be off in a heart beat.

If Florida law is anything like California, they will try to charge the busa rider with the death of the trooper... In fact, they might even dig up unsolved cases from 1919 to throw at this poor guy!

Reality of the it is that unless they can prove three things:

#1. The busa rider knew he was being chased
#2. The busa rider really recklessly rode in a aggressive manner to evade arrest (not just going fast in a relatively straight line)
#3. That this IS even the same guy!

Any decent lawyer can get him off, and he might even be able to turn around and sue for wrongful arrest and prosecution.

Feel bad for the dead trooper's family, but I feel even worst for the guy. The nail and the tire killed the trooper! Not the busa rider nor the porche driver!

What sucks even more is if #3 is in question, that this ISN'T even the busa rider that the cop was chasing. As fast as they said the chase was, and as small as the license plate on motorcycles are, I doubt the trooper was able to call in with a positive reading of the busa's license plate. For that matter, they might not even have been certain of the color scheme of the bike!

Face it, it could've been anyone of us that they've mistaken for if we were in that area at that time.

If Florida law is anything like California, they will try to charge the busa rider with the death of the trooper... In fact, they might even dig up unsolved cases from 1919 to throw at this poor guy!  

Reality of the it is that unless they can prove three things:

#1. The busa rider knew he was being chased
#2. The busa rider really recklessly rode in a aggressive manner to evade arrest (not just going fast in a relatively straight line)
#3.  That this IS even the same guy!

Any decent lawyer can get him off, and he might even be able to turn around and sue for wrongful arrest and prosecution.

Feel bad for the dead trooper's family, but I feel even worst for the guy.  The nail and the tire killed the trooper!  Not the busa rider nor the porche driver!

What sucks even more is if #3 is in question, that this ISN'T even the busa rider that the cop was chasing.   As fast as they said the chase was, and as small as the license plate on motorcycles are, I doubt the trooper was able to call in with a positive reading of the busa's license plate.  For that matter, they might not even have been certain of the color scheme of the bike!

Face it, it could've been anyone of us that they've mistaken for if we were in that area at that time.
Right on...

All good arguments for the defense. It will be hard to convict this guy. However, if the article is correct, and if the guy was running, and persons or people die, there is moral responsibility to be considered. Is it worth it to endanger run and endager people's lives?

I have done it, but wouldn't do it now.

Back