Hayabusa Brake Upgrade rant.

Looks like there are plenty of Busa owners happy with their Busa's brakes , either Gen . Those of us that have experienced closed circuit track days or have regular access to corner rich , multiple speed roads may share another view . Riders of current crop of modern race replicas co-owning or jumping over to Busa may also share a different view . Personally I have had experience with Gen 2 only , so my opinions will be in regards to this Busa .
My L2 was ridden for a fair while on the standard tokico calipers , and as most know , all the Gen 2 up to 2012 were equipped with these units . The bike was only street ridden while fitted with standard brakes .
My previous ride was a modified '92 GSXR 11 , refitted with custom 320mm cast iron rotors and mated up to UK made Alcon 6 piston billet calipers and Brembo RCS m/cyl. .
IMG_20180113_100703.jpg
IMG_20180113_100459.jpg
Coming from this very strong setup , the Busa's brake felt wooden , let down by huge lack of feel , but to be fair , did stop when you grabbed a big handful of lever . Personally I was always going to upgrade this setup , to me it was worth full system replacement , but even lines , HH pads and new upgrade m/cyl. would of had to been done at the very least if not .
I guess the standard setup is adequate..... , but to debut on the ' all new 2008 Hayabusa '.... to be equipped with a shite m/cyl. and really , a low end caliper such as this tokico ... is cheap and nasty . There were better options available from both Japanese and Italian companies for Suzuki to consider for there flagship model . Kawasaki ZX14 nissins set up , or B-King setup as example .
Luckily there are steps you can take to beef the Gen 2 standard setup , and this has been extensively covered on this forum many times over , and by all reports , improvement is there to be had .
The roads I mostly ride are corner rich , I like plenty of feel and stopping power ( this pictured set up is excellent ), and if your needs are like mine , you will have to do something about your pre -Brembo ABS Gen 2 brakes , either way .

I would have to agree that the brakes maybe adequate if riding within the limits of the bike but push that near the limits and it becomes real apparent the brakes lack power and control to support that kind of riding. I’ve never understood the mindset of increasing power delivery by 3 and 4x’s what the brakes and suspension where engineered for and feeling confident the oem setup with upgraded pads is sufficient. They might just be if one is riding well within the limits but that could change in an instant should one venture outside those limits. Power means nothing without control and the level of precision in that control is everything. I personally couldn’t even imagine piloting 500+ HP without the level of braking power that I have at my finger tips. I would say without a doubt it’s the difference between life and death. The absolute best if not most important investment in your bike.

I went the inexpensive route......or so I would claim.

On my 2006 Hayabusa I went with proven Nissin radial calipers and adapters to my Ohlins forks. Braketech floating rotor, Brembo 19x20 master cylinder, SBS HH brake pads, HEL brake lines with Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid. With lighter wheels, ceramic bearings and sticky tires, I think it brakes quite well.

View attachment 399523

View attachment 399524

On my ZRX 1200R, I have ZX9 forks with radial adapters holding Yamaha R1 calipers, Galfer HH pads and Nissin 19x16 master cylinder. Not as agressive as the Busa but also quite effective.

View attachment 399525
So I know old thread but how does that MC attach to the brake switch or lights ?

If you look at his old pic it shows a Hydraulic Banjo bolt/Brake switch. If you go with a Brembo RCS or similar, they have the switch already on board so no need to do anything but make the hookup from the stock wiring to the Prewired Bullet Connectors Brembo provides.
Ok so if I went the same route as you I would get these calipers. Could you recommend a good adapter bracket ? And I would look into a brembo rcs19 probally use my reservoir and would the 320 galfer rotors I have or would buy replacements of work under this ?

Screenshot_20220918-161214.jpg

Sweet it saying it's built for 310 rotors is a typo or something? And what are obvious clues between the 4 pad and 2 pad.

Back