Hayabusa/Blackbird..My comparison

OB_speeddemon

Registered
With all the mags doing comparo's..thought i'd give my comparison..something from "The People's" point of view for once..I've owned a '97 blackbird for the past 3 years now. With 43,300 miles (no i'm not kidding) i know the bike very well. Put a Two Bros 4-1 system on it. Umped the performance a bit and gotta love the sound, even though it got the attention of cops plenty of times. Also being a employee of a honda dealership i've gotten a chance to run a FI/Ram air Blackbirds a few times. Definate improvement in response in power. So how does it compare to My Abuser?..here it is in a segments

Fit and Finish: Both are top notch. Some Friends of mine who totally distaste suzuki's (the people i work with..haha) had to admit the Busa was done up nicely. The only few quirps i got is the rear hump having a bit of a gap in its fit on the left side. And one of my rear reflecters fell off. No biggie. Replaced it with license plate fastner reflecters. Did the job nicely. But even the famed "Honda Perfect" XX has a few flaws. I Never liked the rubber covering for the mirror joints. They're a Joke to fit when putting them on or even after moving them, and after a year of ownership i noticed they started to fade a bit. The Storage under the seat is a joke. I mean, If this bike is a sport Tourer, then why does a 900RR have more trunk space then My XX? Best i could fit was a pack of smokes and a CD. I did have one pack fall out once before also. The Busa indeed won my heart here too. Took a video back to blockbuster tonight and still had room for my manual,tool kit, and my sunglasses with room to spare..Slick. I give the busa the win here.

Appearence: Both look Fast. Both look Intimidating. But the busa does it better in both areas bar none. I get comments and thumbs up all the time. The Blessing of the bikes was the best though. Mostly all the people i caught site of drooling over my bike and talked with were HARLEY riders of all people. Comments like "That thing just LOOKS fast sitting There","Slick Sled Man" "220??! Holy F@#$!" After explaining the bike Was clocked at 201mph in a test last year to a softtail rider, he left with a excited Charles Manson look on his face while exclaiming to his Buddy "I WANT ONE!" Someone even took a snap shot of my bike. Never got this much attention on my XX. And i love the looks myself. As a Manga fan, This bike reminds me of every cool Japanese Anime i ever saw. Gotta love it. Busa wins again.

Handling: No comparison. The bird may have the plusher ride, and yes i did get sore and had to stretch my legs out at 90mph when on route to the Blessing on the busa, the busa definatly rules here. Its still quite comfy, while offering amazing confidence thanx to its Race inspired suspension. In curves my XX would start wobbling in, the busa just asks for more. I test rode quite a few bikes..F3's,F2's,RR's,FZR's (no 929 yet or R1), and got to play with some curves on each. But the busa just amazes me. Its not too small like a 600. Not to tall like a 900RR. Its sized just right. And its feel is awesome. You know exactly whats going on with the tires and the road. Combine that with the "Power everywhere" engine, its in my opinion..Perfect. I can't wait for the track school i'm taking in august. Busa rules again here too.

Brakes: At first i didn't like my busa's brakes. Coming off my XX and its linked braking system kinda threw me off i guess. The busa's front brakes just felt so Mushy. And the rear was just to sensitive. 4 times i locked up the rear tire on the bus. Thanx to the handling i was able to control it and look cool too..lol. I thought of pulling a R1 trick and perhhaps bleeding them to see if it may help. But i decided to wait. I was still getting used to the bike and besides. Things were still wearing in. At Around 1100 miles and some purposely hard stops..the fronts had alot more Bite. Its much better and i can definatly live with it. Still could be better though. Belive it or not, they don't feel as "Sharp" in response as my XX. I'm gonna call this one a draw for now.

Power:....I'm not even gonna try to compare this here. There Is no comparison. Not since my very first ride on my XX (coming off a Buell) has a machine Frightened me with its power. It is UNREAL. And i still have yet to twist the throttle to the stop. I can cruise through city traffic at 3000rpm and Practically "Jump" past a car with a mild twist of the Wrist. I can actually enjoy myself without having to shift down here,then up here..Blah. And warp speed does have new meaning when you turn it on. Busa wins again.

Maintainance/Reliability: Inconclusive. Never had a prob with the XX. And i hope the busa will be the same way. Although i won;t be able to ride it as much as my XX though. Oh well. Only bad quirp i got is the Cotter pin setup for the rear axle nut. Going by murphy's law, I'll have to replace the pin everytime i go to adjust the chain. No Big thing. I get 'em cheap at the shop anyways.

So there you have it. A Diehard Blackbird owner defies the odds (his Honda co-workers and his boss jokes of "I don't care if you buy a Hayabusa, Just as long as its not a Suzuki") and crosses over to the other side. I'm definatly happy with this machine. I want to thank you all because along with mag comparo's, its HERE and the web sites listed here that i learned why this Bike is Indeed "The Ultimate Predator". I am Proud to own the last of the Speed Kings. I do plan a few mods though..they are as follows..

Valentine One radar: This is the FIRST thing going on the bike. I need not say WHY.

Second looks tank skin and seats covers: Prevents gas tank scratches and it looks cool dammit!.. :)

Footpegs: No doubt about it. The stock pegs are Just FARM. They look and feel like something out of John Deere Inc. I'm looking for crunched Gixxers 750's as of now (thanx again to this site)

Powertrain: I'l unrestrict this bike eventually. Airbox mod,FI brainbox, and slip ons are about all i want to go to. Nothing to serious yet. Maybe heads,cams, and such later on. But with the way this thing makes power. It'll be awhile.

Appearance: Chrome the wheels, and polish the frame and swingarm. That'll come later. First thing is that "Shovel" of a rear fender getting properly pruned and Flushmount turn signals in place of the originals.

Horn: Gonna see if i can find someone who can make a setup so it'll play "Taps". Just for any ZX-12 riders i may come across..heehee..j/k by the way.

any advice on how i can furthur improve the my busa is welcomed..thanx again all...

Speed

Great review, good work. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I agree on the V1!! Should've been the 1st thing I bought too!! :^)

The Valentine 1 and stem stand was my 1st add on and after 1500 miles of fast, fast riding I haven't gotten a ticket of any kind yet.
With this thing you know without a doubt where the cops are, even if they're doing instant-on radar you get the tell tale quicky "braps" so you know they are ahead somewhere. Well worth the $$!!!!

...the V1 is the one thing I put off installing for one reason or another, and now I have lived to regrett it! One is installed now, worked out better than I thought it would...

The best two mods I have found was install Miclin Pilot Sports,190 rear, and to upgrade the wheels...the Busa responded very well to reducing unsprung and rolling mass...this has netralized the tendency the Busa had to stand up on the brakes, and over all made it feel like a contemperary 750 without compromising stability...I am well pleased with my Race Tech suspension package as well, and have installed light wieght ductile iorn rotors and race compound pads from Ferodo in front, and a Ti rotor and EBC green pads in the rear...but be advised that the race compound pads are poor performers in the rain....they are a bit lacking in bite when cold as well, and take a bit of use to warm up...average street riders will likely like a oem compound better....with the Ti rotor, the rear brake is no longer usfull for normal braking....the suspension and wheel upgrades are highly recomended to any one willing and able to spend the coin who rides a Busa...your riding style should determin your brake needs, and I went for the upgrades to shed mass as much as anything...as much as I like the 911 pad's resistance to fade, I need good wet weather performance as well , so I will likely be loking into a different pad compound before long...

The Dymag wheels have been a very popular choice for the Busa owner...

I just installed a set of slip on cans, and removed the pair vaule and remaped the low end of the ecu...otherwise the engine is stock...I just got sick of the look of the stock cans...I got Side Kicks but did nearly get Two Bros insread, and think they are as nice if not nicer...they have and unmistakable look and sound...

Three things I plan on installing in the near future are an A.P.E. manual cam chain tensioner, a Brock clutch mod, and a B.A.D. stage one turbo kit, now that the rest of the bike is ready....

The Side Kick cans came with special oversized core for turbo apalication, so the bike was running a bit lean...generaly you can get away with out remapping with most slip ons...most Busa people don't bother with slip ons if they mod the exhaust, they get a four into one set up and remove the piar vaule and remap the ecu, going for max mass reduction and hp gain for about the same cost....a low restriction intake filter or "The Air Box Mod" usualy acommpany the exahust mod, althou the filters are generaly back ordered and the air box mod has it's dissadvantages, although it is good for a few hp...I'm just makeing do with a street BMC filter untill the turbo kit arrives and is installed...the bike will look and sound like a stocker with a "cheesy set of slipons"!(The Dymag Custom Carbon wheels realy don't stand out)

PS; Get a taller wind screen...the Zero Gravity Sport Touring at $80 looks like the best bet to me, and Ive looked at a few...I think it is better looking and more funtional than their double bubble, or the Magical Raceing carbon fiber wind screen, one of which I am using, which is a lot like the Double Bubble only a bit bigger and more costly....this is not a trivial mod...with the stock windsceen, most of us are buffeted so badly it hurts top end performance big time...too hard to see with your head banging around like that! Below 150 mph, this is not a big deal, and at FIRST, no problem....but a larger wind screen makse the Busa a much nicer ride over all....

Back