Hayabusa 2007 stops running when clutch suddenly pulled in at a stop

randytelecaster

Registered
I have a 2007 I bought new that has a little over 4000 miles. No mods other than Heli-bars and Buell XB pegs. Bike seems to run perfect but if I pull in the clutch as I'm braking for a stop the engine dies. I put a new battery in it a little over a year ago and it seems to discharge after a few miles of riding. The cutting off part has been going on for about a year. I can keep the choke partially open and it won't die. Also, after idiling a while I can cut the bike off and there is a faint residual smoke that comes out of the right exhaust. This thing has been babied and never raced. Please help!???

A couple of things:
One- check the idle I would think it might be too low, I keep mine at around 1150. Also, I think you batty is discharging because you are riding in too high a gear (lower revs) and the charging system isn't kicking in... A couple of things to consider.

+1:thumbsup:
A couple of things:
One- check the idle I would think it might be too low, I keep mine at around 1150. Also, I think you batty is discharging because you are riding in too high a gear (lower revs) and the charging system isn't kicking in... A couple of things to consider.

As far as the battery discharging, I would use a multimeter and check it to make sure your charging system is functioning and that there isn't unusual current draw when your bike is turned off. I hear many people say that if you don't run at least a certain RPM your battery doesn't charge. That simply isn't the case. Unless you have some unusual current draw, your battery should charge even at idle.

I have a 2000 so its possible that the 2007 is a little different but the way it works on the 2000 is that at idle, the voltage to charge your battery bypasses the voltage regulator and comes directly from the rectifier (turns AC to DC). The voltage is ~14.2VDC. That's more than enough to charge your battery. Above a certain RPM (don't remember exactly what that is) the voltage goes through the regulator and drops to ~13.7VDC. Still plenty to charge the battery. The service manual confirms this as well.

When your bike is off, if you check current draw it shouldn't be more than 20ma. I have a PC3 and a Speedohealer on my Busa and the current draw happens to be exactly 20ma. Also, if you meter the voltage with the bike off, the battery should be between 12.8 and 13.5+ VDC, depending upon if you have a AGM style battery or a traditional lead acid type.

What could cause your battery to drain are rides that are too short. It takes quite a bit of power to get the starter to turn the engine and fire it up. It takes a while of charging to "replace" the voltage that you used to start the bike. If you start the bike, ride it for 10 min, put it away, do the same the next day, etc. Eventually, the battery voltage will be too low to start the bike.

One last check, while metering the voltage on your battery, if you hit the starter and the voltage drops below 9VDC, the battery is bad, regardless of what the voltage reads without a load.

I think MC MUSTANG's suggestion about checking the idle setting is a good one and where I would start if I had your situation.

:welcome: to the Org..
That "choke" your leaving on to get it to idle, isn't a choke, it's just a fast idle lever. You just need to raise the tank and reset your idle speed to around 1100-1200 rpm and it will be fine there.
As for the battery discharging, that could be any one of several things. As previously stated, start by checking your charging system to make sure everything is functioning there.

All of you have been very helpful. How do I reset the idle? Also, I remember when I first got the bike had to take a MSF course. We rode around all morning at slow speed. Guess what? All the sportbikes that day were having battery issues !

do a search on the post called ( keeps shutting off )i posted a pic of how to adjust the idle without lifting the tank. just need a screw driver to adjust on right side of the tank.

do a search on the post called ( keeps shutting off )i posted a pic of how to adjust the idle without lifting the tank. just need a screw driver to adjust on right side of the tank. it will be the last post on the 1st page if you search it.

On my busa (2000 model) there is an idle adjustment screw with a knob that extends just past the fairing on the right hand side that is easily adjusted without lifting the tank or using a long screwdriver. Is it different on 2001 and up models?

idle.jpg

I forgot to mention that I borrowed that picture from another part of the forum. That's not my bike but it looks exactly like that.

my bike will do that if it's not warmed up yet. and i get a bit of smoke when it sits for a while.
do you ride it alot? or does it sit alot?
it may just need ridden more.

donno about the battery.
my battery has only died once. it got drained going through stop and go traffic, and overheated a little going through Sturgis.

Back