Hawaii Lwas Suck

ralnsplder

Registered
I just spent a few days installing LEDS on my bike just to find out that Hawaii does not allow any type of light other then white. I cannot have blue even if the bike is parked, turned off , and noone on it. I aslo asked about the other colors and they said NO. I really don't see what the problem is with other colors other then red or blue. I called Poilce dept to find out what colors were good and at first he said all but red or blue, then I started nameing colors and he said no to everything except white. I guess they don't want you having anything that looks nice.

I suggest going with the white LED. They do have a very slight hue of blue sorta compares to an 8000K HID light. I had the same problem a few years ago with my homemade blue LED's ,so I made another set of white LED's which never gave me any problem in any state that I rode in. Hawaii 5.0 dont play ova there on the Rock and since the only color they flash is blue I can see why.

Well that's interesting seeing as a ton of new bikes and cars come out of the factory with LEDS installed already... Neat trick. If the lights aren't on while moving I doubt ANY law can be enforced regarding this unless your parked on a public street.

Sounds like the kind of NAZI bullshid we are all going to be facing in the next few years all over the US if folks don't chill the hell out with their LOUD exhausts...

Pisser Bro. I know here in Tampa you'll get nailed for having Blue LEDS anywhere, or RED on the front of your bike while moving.. Other wise have at it.

Thats what i thought the law here was, as long as you could not see it from the front or rear, you were fine. Mine don't even shine on the ground, just the 4 side slits in the fairing. I called the police dept and they said no and gave me the regulation for it. here it is.

BLUE LIGHTS
The Honolulu Police Department is reminding the general public that they are not allowed to use blue lights on their motor vehicles. A number of car alarms are using flashing blue lights to indicate that the alarm systems are activated. This is a violation of the Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS) and we will take enforcement action when necessary.

According the Section 291-31.5 of the HRS,

"No person shall knowingly operate, affix, or cause to be affixed, display, or possess any lamp, reflector or illumination device which appears to be the color blue upon any motor vehicle, motorcycle, motor scooter, bicycle, or moped."

State law goes on to say, "This prohibition does not apply to factory-installed instrument illumination." Any violation is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or up to one year in prison or both.

They say no blue lights at all, not even if bike is parked with noone on it and it is turned off. I can still be fined.

Back