Having to keep replacing the battery on my 07 Busa

six2ngq

Registered
I have had to replace the battery on my 07 Busa every year since I purchased it in 07. I also installed a scorpio SR-i500 alarm on the bike a few months after I purchased it. I have tried different batteries each year and none of them seem to last. I recently rigged battery tender leads to the battery for easy plug in when I am not riding but the battery still failed. Any suggestions?

Place a current / amp meter in line with the neg or pos lead of the battery and see what the current draw is. Disconnect the alarm system and do the same test. Get a copy of the service manual off the internet for free and see what the normal drain is. From memory a small amount of ma. I would hope that the battery tender could keep up with the alarm system if it's functioning correctly. You might just have an issue with the alarm system. Experts will be along.

You'll also see test for the charging system in the service manual. From memory you should see 13.6 - 14.6 VDC @ 5K RPMs.

You might want to fully charge and have the battery load tested to start with.

Sounds strange that you only have to replace the battery annually though. Do you store the bike over winter or store the bike for long periods ?

your scorpio alarm if not turned off will drain the battery in about 2-3 weeks...i forgot to turn mine off once at the beginning of spring,couldnt ride for 3 weeks was to cool,finally went to go and battery was dead..and get a battery tender,i plug mine in after every ride to my battery tender,hope this helps..

some battery tenders you have to have alarm off or it wont charge the battery

I have had to replace the battery on my 07 Busa every year since I purchased it in 07. I also installed a scorpio SR-i500 alarm on the bike a few months after I purchased it. I have tried different batteries each year and none of them seem to last. I recently rigged battery tender leads to the battery for easy plug in when I am not riding but the battery still failed. Any suggestions?

You have had your bike for 7 years and just now got feed up with wasting money on buying a new battery every year?

Where do you live? Can you ride all year long? Do you have a garage? Does it sit outside all the time and that's why you have an alarm?

I bring my batteries inside during the winter and charge them about once a month.

I agree with the other posters - you need to see if there is a draw on the battery when everything is off and to
check the charging system and make sure it is charging the battery when you ride it.
One way, would be to charge the battery out of the bike, then check the voltage. Put it in the bike
and check it in a day or two. There shouldn't be more then a few tenth's of a difference in voltage if there is no draw, and that might be for your clock.

Back