"having to have the best of the best"

Thanks Jinster, very well written! You're good with words!
Ahhhh yes, this passion for two-wheel fun and speed is never ending. I'm 61 and can hardly wait until spring, this disease only gets worse with age, especially when you're retired and pacing like a caged lion during the winter months. Yes indeed guys, 'age well' and you too will be going for the gold when you're old! Ha! Old? No way, I run 5 miles every other day, eat right, do all sorts of other aerobics all in the name of staying fit for one purpose, so that I can RIDE! Long live bikes like the Busa!

I have to add my .02 cents here.I just bought my new 06 busa about 2 weeks ago.I only drove it home from the dealer and put 34 km's on it.
I'm 48 yrs old and the power coming off that thing is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!
Its about the 8th bike i've owned too!
My point is that i have full intentions of keeping it very close to stock for TWO reasons.
#1 It already has plenty of power!
#2 I like seeing a bike that has been kept in original condition.
The only thing i've added is,Yoshi Oval RS3 slipons, a Power Commander, a Corbin seat, and a Puig windscreeen
Thats just my two cents,and i have to say that i really love the sound of my RS3 Oval Yoshi's
ok over,
Reiny
beerchug.gif

I've thought about buying a hardly used 03-05' Busa, but honestly I don't know or trust the individual who had it before me.  Did he break it in properly, has it been wrecked/repaired, did he replace all the performance mods w/ the stock parts before selling to me, has he had engine problems, has he kept his maintenance up to date, etc.?

I'm not willing to take that chance, especially on a high performance motorcycle.  I'm glad you've been fortunate enough to obtain your bikes through friends that had bikes.  Unfortunately, I'm not in that position and am buying new for the aforementioned reasons.

I know there are many people who must have the latest and greatest every year...that's not me.  I plan on having my Busa for a very long time.  If I look to get a new bike years down the road I would still keep the Busa.
Over-Easy...there is no luck or magic to buying low-milage, slightly used bikes in fantastic condition these days...with utter confidence...and the "High Performance Engines" phrase is not a minus but a plus...and for the most part?...just about all of the latest jap in-line 4's are freaking bulletproof...amazingly so...and here's a little related story I'll share with you regarding just that....

Several years ago I and about 1/2 doz of my old ZRX buds decided to ride over to "The Iron Horse" and we mingled right in with the HD dominant crowd without incident...partied...hung out listening to live bands and people watching...and then while reviewing the daily agenda noticed that at 2:00pm they had scheduled a "Honda Hanging"...and in a chain linked fence area they actually had a "GALLO'S" and a noose which they wrapped around the clip-on/triple of a Honda 900RR that was in fairly nice condition....they then drianed the oil and coolant....then fired it up and duct taped the throttle WFO as they proceeded to hang the poor honda to watch'er blow.....for laughs and amusment...but they....like us all...were in for a shock....and 5 minutes later the poor honda was still 10' off the ground screaming her heart out while pinging the rev limiter...then 10 minutes passed...and the crowd began mumbling..."Whens that damn thing gonna blow?".....12 minutes into it the headers began turning red only visable thru the fairing as she slowly spun from her death rope....15 minutes into it the crowd became enraged with some hollaring out..."Somebody Shoot That Damn Thing!"..."KILL IT!!!"....and a few minutes later the fairing started smoking and the first signs of smoke began to eminate from her exhaust tips...and about 18 minutes into it?...everybody was sickened at how long this was lasting and finally?...she just abruptly...seized up...no bang...no big fanfair...and eveybody was just happy it was over...but for 18 minutes that poor honda pushed against the rev lkimiter with no coolant and no lubrication....and that's what I find funny when folks get overly concerned or anal about...."Break-In".
laugh.gif

these are high performance engines....and as long as there's no rods knocking or valves chattering like a morroca?...you're usually good to go...and let the negotiations proceed.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Bingo..Jinkster.     I just  buy 'em and ride 'em. I like the fact that most bikes start right up nowadays and you aren't always messing with the plugs and timing everytime you turn around. ( with the busa it's only tires.)   A person can find alot of real nice bikes out there that have a few miles on them and if they were beaten, there are telltale signs.
 This sportbike stuff is definitly a disease. All I can think about is when I can ride again, power does corrupt a person!

Bingo..Jinkster.     I just  buy 'em and ride 'em. I like the fact that most bikes start right up nowadays and you aren't always messing with the plugs and timing everytime you turn around. ( with the busa it's only tires.)   A person can find alot of real nice bikes out there that have a few miles on them and if they were beaten, there are telltale signs.
 This sportbike stuff is definitly a disease. All I can think about is when I can ride again, power does corrupt a person!
yep....an '04 R1 guy feels like king of the hill right up until he lines up with an '05 GSXR1000 guy and the '05 GSXR1000 guy feels like king right up until he lines up with an '06 ZX-10R...and that's pathetic in itself but the real bad part is they could all wind up gett'in taken to school by a 50 year old man on a '89GS1100 with cams, pods and a full system.....cause the old dude "Knows His Bike"....every quirk and characteristic....with a wrist and mind that's perfectly programmed to his throttle via time and muscle memory...and can ride hell out of it...and snapp'in it open like a well worn 20 year old zippo lighter.
laugh.gif
with class...style...and a smile.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back