having charging problems PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

medic357

Registered
Good morning fellow riders, I have been having a serious problem with my bike. It is a 2001 busa with no mods other than a 4:1 Shorty. i have done all that i know how. i have changed out the stator and recti. i added a new battery also a 14v battery. i have replaced the ground wire from the battery. There seems to be draining somewhere. i keep it on a trickle charge and when i go to ride it starts up just fine like a bike should. But, after a few hours it starts to die down even having to push start it. Please Help. i dont know what else to do:fire:

Re: having charging problems PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the bike off, have you checked for current draw? No mods meaning, you have not added anything electrical? Alarm, GIpro, radio, fuse block?

Re: having charging problems PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how do you check the draw? i have however checked the voltage off and running and everything comes back mormal. i have lights,stereo and alarm but they are all hooked up to an aux dry cell batter that doesn't connect to any of the bike electrical system.

Download a free manual off the net and follow the electrical trouble shooting. You will basically place a voltmeter ( amp meter ) in the circuit and look for the amount of current flow. It should be in the low milliamps from memory. From memory you lift the pos. battery lead and attach the meter in - line. The meter leads will have to be in amp mode and the meter switched to read amps.

ok ill have to try that this evening.

how do you check the draw? i have however checked the voltage off and running and everything comes back mormal. i have lights,stereo and alarm but they are all hooked up to an aux dry cell batter that doesn't connect to any of the bike electrical system.

How does that battery charge?

ok, ive tried doing all voltages and draws. everything came back normal. im stumped!:wtf:

Have the battery load tested. Really makes no sense that everythings fine and then you ride around and things start going south. Copper will move around and expand with heat. So maybe when the bikes being tested everything is fine but after getting hot they're not :dunno:

Back