HAVING A BUS DON\'T MAKE YOU FAST.

Gixx1300R

Registered
Well I've outrun CBR900RRs,R6s,R1s,GSXR750s and various other bikes on tight twisties and long sweepers.(Rotts4u was there as a witness).All i have to say is"It's not the bike,it's the rider".

By the way it's my video and it's not first gear wheelies.I bring my 1300 up in 2nd and can go all the way to 6th anytime I want.Dont knock the next guy just because he has better riding skills than you do.I'm not saying I'm number one or anywhere near it.There are plenty of guys that are faster than me on smaller and bigger bikes but I can hang with anyone in my area when It comes to Road racing or Drag racing on the Track or the street.I havent been riding for 27 years to just go slow and take it easy.Why dont you get a video of you going around corners and e mail them to me.I would like to see it.

Good post Dirty Pete, except for the part about GIXXER1300R - I think he's got his act together.

Your points about "humility" and "skill" are on the mark. I expect that many that post here are very "skilled" riders, they would be considered "expert" or "excellent" riders. I believe most of us who post are "hardcore" addicted riders, who realize we must continually (every moment of riding) seek "perfection" or "excellence." Staying accident free, healthy and alive can be directly related to how "humble" we are with our "skill." Being the best, "excellent" actually EXCLUDES "pride." Note: that "skill" and "excellence" and "virtue" are all synonyms and that they are OPPOSITE of "pride." Or as the Bible says: "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." (Prov 16:18 KJV) I think all of us who are veteran riders know first hand about "pride" and "falling."

RD

Amen, Dirty Pete.
I certainly do not claim to be an expert rider, but know for damn sure you can get better the more you ride. Unfortunately, no quick way to get there. It helps if you get track time, read- (keith codes stuff for example), and can find time-money for rding school.
15 years riding, couple lay downs, some Ow Wees and I still get beat here and there
Oh well, I'm having fun, and at 36 now I need all the help and I get, and fun.

Good Post
Bob

Pete, you been taking them maturity pills again! I must say your right! I will admit to falling in that trap myself, for to long. Why do we do these things? Iam going to try to be better now, even though it is fun to talk trash, its really counter productive. Its plain stupid to miss out on a good friendship because of these things, thanks.

We need a little more humility in this forum.

All this puffery and bravado about how fast the Bus is, is unseemly.

No bike is inherently fast. A bike is not fast unless it has a fast rider.

Because of this fundamental truth, virtually any bike on earth can beat a Bus. ANY bike.

EXAMPLES OF THE HARD TRUTH: I've had my Hayabusa to the track twice this summer. On our local former grand prix track (Mosport, Ontario, Canada) where 600 cc factory Super Bikes lap at 1:30, I, lapping at a lowly 1:45 on my Bus, was eaten alive in an open session by a 125 grand prix race bike that lapped at 1:38. A 125 cc bike! He KILLED me on braking, cornering and powering out. My Busa's straightaway speed was irrelevant, except insofar as it saved me from even greater embarrassment.

On that same day, an older man on an unmodified 1200 Bandit passed me cleanly pulling out of a sweeper and I was unable to reel him back. A sit-up-straight Bandit!? The mags say they're just too plush riding to take to the track! Not.

A 50 year old guy that I've ride the street with for 35 years (he's an ex Canadian ice & motocross champ) can put his scraped-up HARLEY DRESSERr around a 270 degree on/off ramp faster than I can do it with my Bus. And I can assure you than my tires are ripped and rolled to shreds right to the edge from their track time.

On another track day at Mosport, I watched with delight as a bulky, low-revving stock BMW boxter boxed the pants off the field, lapping the slowest racer on the fourth lap. This clunky touring bike wasn't just a little faster than the others...he left 900 sport bikes like they were parked.

But life on my Bus is not all defeats. On the same day that I was destroyed by a 125, I, on my basically stock Bus (just slip-ons, ME Z3s and a fully reefed down suspension) had the pleasure of murdering every R1 there (and there were plenty of them) on straights AND in corners, and solidly beating several full-race, dealership sponsored, pit-crewed 600s and 1000s. Those guys, who were really cocky and dismissive of my Bus in the pits prior to the race, were crying, because they're supposed to have really "fast" bikes.

Never brag to strangers before you ride with them.

It doesn't matter how fast your Hayabusa is. Unless you're a ranked Super Bike competitor, you stand to have your Bus's butt kicked by a better rider on a "lesser" bike at any time. Street or track.

And that applies to drag launches, too, where most street races are won or lost. I ride the street with a currently competitive dirt bike racer who uses a '97 Honda CBR 600 sportbike on the street. I cannot match the hair trigger reactions he has developed for those explosive arenacross starts, and his management of wheelies and wheelspin is much better than mine...a situation aggravated by my Bus' grabby clutch. As a result of his better starts and first gear skills, I can't catch him until he's doing 120 mph and I'm doing 150. Now, whose bike is faster in the real world...his or mine?

Recently, I've seen a wheely video from a Busa owner who frequently posts his boasts on this site and others. This person is overtly bragging about a timid little first-gear-only wheely. (Look at me! I'm #1!") In the video, this rider lofts the wheel a little bit, then panics and cuts off power completely, bringing the bike to a wheel-cracking crash landing. Why brag about being such an average rider? A proper wheely STAYS up through throttle and rear brake modulation, goes to a much higher angle, and lands gently under good power. ANY bike can be made to wheely.

As for straightaway roll ons; yes we have a serious advantage over other STOCK bikes. But hey, where's the skill or pride or courage in a roll on contest? ("I can afford a bigger motor than you!") Many nitrous or sprocket-equipped big bore sport bikes or V-Maxes and V65s can do a stock Busa to death in a roll on. It's just about cash.

Everybody admires a Bus when it's parked and wants to talk to you. It seems be assumed you're a hero rider if you own a Bus, and it's tempting to act like one. But I never claim it's faster than anyone else's bike, because I know I can be beaten by even the most humble looking little bike.

It's the rider, not the bike. And having a fast bike doesn't make you a fast rider.

In my experience, most Bus, ZX11, GSXR1100, CB1100XX, and R1 owners are profoundly afraid to really use their bikes, and secretly suffer the limpdick-inducing anxiety of knowing that they are not worthy of their mount.

The only way to rid yourself of that feeling is to get out on the track and ride fast.

Go out on your Bus and win your class. Find out whether you can ride with a fast rider. THEN you can say you've got a fast bike and that you're worthy of it.

Until then, be humble.

Other than the aformentioned systemic humility problem, this is a great forum.

The shared info is priceless. The shared bragging is useless.

I'll check back soon for the inevitable barrage of flaming bruised egos.

Yours ever so humbly,
Dirty Pete

The bus is a big bike with a lot of throttle in sixth gear. If I wanted a track bike, I would have bought a gxsr750. The bus is big, beautiful, fast, nimble, bike that does what one should expect from a 1300. Go real fast on straight aways. Not laying it down until you are scraping your knee pads trying to beat those short wheel based bikes. The bandit is a nice bike for those who like the plain look. You really can't bad mouth a Hayabusa, but the website does allow whiners to vent everynowandthen. (-;

Dirty Pete,

Applause also to you. I cannot comment on a wheelie,etc because I have never done one. For real. Let's all just be careful in all we do. I do not want to hear that one of us is "no longer a member". Copy?

AS far as a wheelie is concerned, you bet you all will be the first to hear about it.

okay, am i the only one who saw all the braggin in the post about "sick of all the bragging?" well, all i can say is, I AM A DAMN EXPERT RIDER! tee hee. there, i said it. but man, get a reality check! yes, the rider is a good portion of who is fastest. but come on, a full dresser beating a busa? you gotta be one lame ass rider for that to happen. i'll tell you straight up right now, you could put my idol (kevin schwantz) on a full dresser on a track, and there ain't no way he'll beat me on a busa. not happening. sorry. delusions aside, there just isn't enough ground clearance on them to even make a respectable showing. so your point is well taken about rider ability, but let's not get carried away. and as far as saying the things you said about the posters on here, (i for one have never said in any post anything about my skills)that's just pure horse poop. you don't know the people on this board personally, you don't know what their skill levels are. so don't be so pretentious as to come in here and bash most of these people. if you don't like what they say about their skills, what harm is it doing to you? just get a life and don't harrass people. and as far as the wheelie video you were referring to, did you see to the left of the screen? do you know that road? is there a turn right out of the camera's view? don't think you could know that. so don't presume that he wasn't just giving what was necessary and nothing more. he OBVIOUSLY wasn't in first gear for that one. so, to finish of this post, don't come on here and talk about some old guy (regardless of his skill) blowing by you on his full dresser harley, just makes you look inexperienced. period.
HAVE A NICE DAY
mike
oops, that wasn't a flame was it?
singe
sorry tee hee

very wise words . One of my buds had a encounter of those sorts last summer. Hes a damn good rider, can scrape his knee sliders with ease when pushing his Zx-7 hard into the twisties. He just started running at the track last summer and was smoking the majority of the group there, except for one guy completly dusting him in the curves on a (get this) Ninja 250! Sure he'd catch and blast past the guy in the straights. But when things got twisty the little ninja wizzed right back up on him and past him. As for when i meet someone which is faster then me, i do my best to make friends with them and try to learn as much as i can from them. Riding with and learning from someone faster then you will make you a much better and faster rider. One of my best buddies was this type of person. He was a friend and a mentor. Learned from people with far better skill then him and gladly taught me what he knew. It was amazing watching him leave me and other big bore bikes behind on his 600 F3 blasting through curves at 130mph speeds with ease. Unfortunatly not to long ago, a lady in a van turned left in front of him. He was looking both ways coming up to the intersection and by the time he saw it he was right on top of the van. He swerved and almost missed the van but clipped the backend of it hurling him 30 feet. He was only doing 35mph. The Leathers,backprotector,and Snell approved helmet did their job. He was in a coma for about two days. But he has made a full recovery. Sad thing is,out of love and respect to his parents wishes, he has given up riding. I still keep in contact with him of course, and i always let him know that his skill rides with me. Alot of my friends next year are buying sportbikes and now, I have become the mentor. It is something i look forward to. I let them know that I don't know everything ,but will teach what i know what has kept me alive and will teach the skills that allows me to push my machine fast when they are ready. I am still learning myself of course. The more you know, the better you will go... :)

speed

Ok here we go.My e mail stating that "It's hard being number one" was in reference the owning the number bike for the moment which is in my opinion in the Hayabusa.And as for "Yeah baby"lots of people say that when they do something or see something that they like.Do I claim to be number one?Nope,because no matter how fast you are there is always someone out there who is faster.I'm not brash or brag about my riding skills I just state the facts.Yes I can wheelie,do stoppies and all sorts of other stuff on bikes,but so can plenty of other guys.What's the big deal?I made the video for other people's enjoyment of the Busa since some people havent seen the bike at used at 100%.It's an awesome site to see a bike pass at 190+ mph.Video really doesnt do it justice.

Gosh...I sure wasn't expecting such positive feedback from this post. Thanks for your thoughts, men. I see that there are plenty of senior, knowledgable, level-headed performance enthusiasts out there; enough to maybe put together the fastest, safest street gang in history.

Imagine 15 of us falling upon a pack of RUBs on shiny new Fatboys on a backroad? RUBs on excessively shiny Harleys are the only 2 wheel pilots that I have no respect for. They're biker-imitating posers, not riders.
I love pulling a wheely as I blow by them on full scream.

An explanation for Hiabuser, the lone serious flamethrower of the group so far: As I stated in my post, the Harley dresser didn't beat me on the track, and he probably couldn't. He beat me on a 270 degree on/off ramp. He entered the ramp 30 feet ahead of me and immediately dumped the Harley onto its chassis and applied full throttle. The bike, if you can call those agricultural implements bikes, went around the corner literally bucking from chassis to tires to chassis, violently, but under masterful ragged-edge control. I had never before nor have I since seen a bike manhandled like that. He pulled slowly away from me despite my putting my knee on the ground.

Now, it could be that if I hadn't been laughing so hard, I would have done better and not sullied the glorious name of Hayabusa.

The result though, didn't surprise me a bit. That Harley rider (ex ice and dirt champ...he also campaigned a Triumph Triple in the 70's) is the best rider of all the guys I ride with or have ever ridden with. No one can beat him in ANY riding modality. Nor would he ever LET anyone beat him.

That, Hiabuser, was a rational response to the understandable skepticism that drove you to misread or misinterpret my writing. I have no response for your crude vituperation.

To those who observed that it's a treat to ride among riders who are better than yourself; right on!

I can beat myself anytime, but it's real boring.

TO GIXXER: I expected as much...as did, I suspect, many of the others.

You need to check out the other videos that were also shot the same day as the single clip you saw. There is one clip where Gixxer1300R is on one wheel for the entire length of the video at what appears to be in the neigborhood of 100mph as he approaches and blows by the camera.(on one wheel) Not sure why you are taking shots at him based on a few seconds of a single video that came with no explanation or setting of the scene. Too much time on your hands?

Dirty Pete, I am with you, except for one thing.

I have ridden hundreds of bikes - big bore customs, 125 & 250 & 750 racers, most of the production machines in the last 10 years.
Nothing, I repeat, nothing accelerates like the ugly suzook.

Nevermind top speed or 1/4 or race tracks; Downshift, twist and watch reality fade into the rearview mirrors...

Todd:

Yes, I do have too much time on my hands, thank God. Hate to be one of those poor sods who are so busy at work, at home and in the bar they just can't find any time to ride, read about riding, write about riding, watch riding shows and videos, go to bike races, race, drag, go to race schools, hang out in the garage beside bikes with a bunch of guys in the rain drinking beer, work on their bikes...

I'm not out to slag Gixxer1300R's riding, and I apologize if I jumped the gun based on that one video. I haven't been able to locate the other videos you speak of, but I'll take your word on it. Gixxer1300R can wheely.

My complaint, and it is the whole point of my original post, is about the relentless bragging by Gixxer1300R and a few others.

If you will review your e-mail's deleted messages file, you will find post after post from Gixxer1300R with language like "Yeah baby, it's hard being number one!" and descriptions of his awesome and merciless high speed consumption of everyone else on the street.

He's even got other forum members saying "Yeah Gixxer, you da man! You number one!"

In his his response to this posting (post #4, above), Gixxer says "Don't knock the next guy (meaning himself) just because he has better riding skills than you (meaning me) do." The guy's full of untenable assumptions.

On the other hand Gixxer is, to his credit, is always enthusiastic and sometimes a good source of info.

Net forums are very different from the street or the track. You can be Mick Doohan on the net even if you're a crippled tricycle rider in reality (which Mick may soon become!)...and that's what makes bragging on the net, in any forum, so offensive.

Todd, if you will read some of the postings (above) of other members who have responded to my position on bragging, you will see that most are in support.

Bragging on the net is ultimately impotent. First, it's unverifiable. Second, and more importantly, it's an imposition on others because it's not what this forum is for. How much trash talk do YOU have to trash from your Onelist Hayabusa e-mail? I'm about to get off that list because of it. After a week away from my computer in July, I returned to over 100 e-mails from Onelist, NOT ONE OF WHICH CONTAINED USEABLE HAYABUSA-RELATED INFORMATION.

This Owner's Group is much less intrusive, more manageable and is populated with knowledgable, articulate, helpful enthusiasts who know what they know and don't know.

If Gixxer1300R wants to keep bragging on the net, why don't we give him a new Forum called "Bragging Rights" and let him go at it there?

Then the rest of us could trade useful information without continually being made to feel like the slow, nervous riders that we probably are in reality.

Dirty Pete

Bigload: I'm with you there. There's never been a stock machine like it. I feel honoured to own one. Joyfully terrified at times, too. I just can't believe the way it smacks your butt at 120 mph...or the way it tries to hurl you over the handlebars when you grab the right lever at 150. More pushups and bench presses for me this winter!

Back