havin a prob with highmount pipes!!!!

mayor750

Registered
need help....installed hmf highmounts and noticed that the pipe not the can is rubbin the swingarm. when i try to turn the pipe and connect the can the bracket holes dont match the holes in the can. what to do??? was it installed wrong???

Leave can tight, loosen clamps at both ends of mid pipe take a door stopper or some other type of wedge (covered in a rag) and push it between pipe and swing arm. Then tighten lower clamp, Now push end of muffler either to the left or right to center it HOLD it there tighten top clamp. Remove wedge, Done!

thanks for your help. pipes dont rub anymore. another question. how do i get the cans to sit higher? and closer together. they dont flow with the back of the bike

Another suggestion is this. Support your bike somehow, I used a steel rod thru the swing arm pivot hole, disconnect your dogbones and move your swing are the full range of motion. That will insure that your swingarm never touches the left "S" pipe.

Don

(mayor750 @ Mar. 09 2007,20:44) thanks for your help. pipes dont rub anymore. another question. how do i get the cans to sit higher? and closer together. they dont flow with the back of the bike
Ok, You are not gonna like this!
Remove muffler then bend that thick mounting bracket in close to the top (where it bolts to rear peg mounts) and then bend it out at bottom edge (just above where the muffler bolts on. If your first bend moves it 1 inch remember the second bend should move it out the same amount! Last adjustment before you ask "How do I get the tips to point in the same direction, or The name plate points a little up on one side" Here is the answer The above bracket you were just bending. Take a large pair of channel locks with a rag covering the jaws and twist the brackets bottom edge, just before the first mounting hole for the muffler. Then reassemble with the wedge in the above post! Hope this helps!

beerchug.gif

Back