Have you ever tried MotoGP set up for shifting?

Dr E

Donating Member
Registered
Goes to show you how you can learn something new all the time. A few weeks back I was able to do my first track day. During that day, I thought I was seeing the club racers shifting in a different pattern than I was, but was not sure. In the pits I also heard a term from some of the other riders about running their bike with a MotoGP set-up.

Back home I asked a friend of mine who is both a superb rider and race mechanic about what I saw and herd. In short he told me it was simply inverse shifting and Suzuki is blessed with being able to do the mod in 3 minutes or less. He said the advantage is you don't have to leave your foot hanging down under the shifter in a corner where you run the risk of catching your foot and it allowed for a smoother/faster transition to power coming out of a corner.

Well, went back home and switched the Busa and the track bike over to this and what a difference! It felt funny at first, but once I got into it and took her through some nice twisties it is a blast. Yeah I missed a shift or two at first, but it seems like second nature.

In short the conversion on a Suzuki is simply made by rotating the shift linkage 180 degrees on the on the transmission shaft. That's it.

I had it like that on my R1 and it was just different. I ended up swithcing it back. I only ride on the street and having two bikes shift differently was asking for trouble so I just switched it

andy (ibified) has it on his busa..he seems to like it, and you can do it by just flipping the shift arm 180 degrees on the shift shaft

picture.jpg

Last edited:
Goes to show you how you can learn something new all the time. A few weeks back I was able to do my first track day. During that day, I thought I was seeing the club racers shifting in a different pattern than I was, but was not sure. In the pits I also heard a term from some of the other riders about running their bike with a MotoGP set-up.

Back home I asked a friend of mine who is both a superb rider and race mechanic about what I saw and herd. In short he told me it was simply inverse shifting and Suzuki is blessed with being able to do the mod in 3 minutes or less. He said the advantage is you don't have to leave your foot hanging down under the shifter in a corner where you run the risk of catching your foot and it allowed for a smoother/faster transition to power coming out of a corner.

Well, went back home and switched the Busa and the track bike over to this and what a difference! It felt funny at first, but once I got into it and took her through some nice twisties it is a blast. Yeah I missed a shift or two at first, but it seems like second nature.

In short the conversion on a Suzuki is simply made by rotating the shift linkage 180 degrees on the on the transmission shaft. That's it.

There was this Orange/Black '08 up in WA and OR a couple of weeks back that was using GP shifting :whistle:

I've been riding like this for at least 3 years. It took a few days to get used to it, but it's the only way I ride now.:bowdown: I love it.

I used the reverse shift back in the '70s on my Kawasaki Z1; great for drag-racing but I don't care for it for the street....

Been rocking the reverse shifting since the late 90's on all my bikes..only way to roll...Its stupid they are not made this way from the factory...Oh well atleast its an easy fix on most bikes...

Been rocking the reverse shifting since the late 90's on all my bikes..only way to roll...Its stupid they are not made this way from the factory...Oh well atleast its an easy fix on most bikes...

And I have some old farts down the street from me that think all shifters should be on the right (British Bikers) :whistle:

There was this Orange/Black '08 up in WA and OR a couple of weeks back that was using GP shifting :whistle:

Well, if I was closer to your backside there I might have noticed it! But somebody had some really bright colored cool Corbins on their back and well, it was all a blur after that!:beerchug::beerchug:

I have used GP Shifting for a long time, feels strange when I ride a regular shifting bike.

My 1000 was like that when i got it, need to switch the busa someday.

Yup, I tried it on my GS1150E in the mid 80s. Didn't care too much for it since my other bikes were regular so I switched it back.

Back