Have you been to a "Bike racing" schoolI

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Here is the deal..

I would like to attend a bike racing school and I also have 3 others that would also like to go...

I want to fly in, have the time of my life and fly out... 1 or 2 days? not sure.. advice?

The other 3 riders own Gixxer 600's and I would classify them as "rank beginners" and will require some attention to get up to speed. I need to make sure that that attention is available if needed.

TIME: next 60 days

Gear: I have mine but they have only jackets.. My intention is to prove to them as well that a helmet and jacket really is not adequate gear for the street... BUT I do not think that is going to happen until "after" the school, so rental gear is going to be needed as well...

Bikes: Gixxer 600's would be best, that is what they own and ride already, I would rather not have to trailer their bikes down, get them skinned with fresh rubber and then truck them back, they can afford track bikes with new tires for a day or two..

So I am sure there are a ton of details left out here but I hope you get the general idea, If you HAVE attended a school I would love to hear about it....

If you have only "heard" about a school, I am not sure you can help much (sort of like movie reviews in the paper
smile.gif
)

oh yea price: I expect to spend around $2500 per person for a 2 day school (if 2 day is a good idea) so, leave that part out of the equation... lifes experiences are hard to put price tags on
smile.gif

I've track ridden for 5 years. Took a half day required class to get "certified" but it was not really a school. Sorry, I can't help you.

Have you had ANY track experience at all yet? You can learn more in a day on the track than many years on streets

I have been racing for about 30 years and 99% of it was 1/4 of a mile at a time
smile.gif

I have exactly 1 day of driving a nascar southwest tour car (and wow was that a blast!)

I have no track time on a bike when it comes around to turning left or right (didnt know you could, thought they only went straight)

I raced some motocross/desert cross in AZ in the 70's and a bit of flat track in the early 80's. Both of which were side by side racing but that does not even come close to the asphalt at 100mph + SO I am chomping at the bit to go zoom zoom on the black top
smile.gif

smile.gif

then you already know you will have a great time! take your camera and bring us pics!!!
smile.gif

i would recommend a claifornia superbike school , or jason pridmores star school both have bike and eqipment rentals and are very informative and great for complete newbies or people with experience. I personally enjoyed the more laidback open minded view of pridmores school but both were excellent

or you could always really man up and do fredie spencers school in las vegas

http://www.roadracingworld.com/calendar/glance/

follow link and scroll down for dates and tracks of each school

btw pridmore uses suzuki's code uses kawasaki's

You will have a blast either if you just do track days or do the school thing. If it were me, I would do a couple of track days first just to get the feel of it.

You will have a blast either if you just do track days or do the school thing. If it were me, I would do a couple of track days first just to get the feel of it.
ive been with several people on their first track day, track days can be very intimidating for the newb and most new people took an entire first day to relax and have fun. Track days are usually crowded with lots of diff skill levels on the track at once. Some organizers are better then others Jennings gp in florida is pretty well done just make sure you do your homework if this is the way you go.

I think a school is the way to start, penguin schools have less instruction and more open track time if your thinking in the track day direction, and they also rent equipment and bikes

either way its the most fun you can have with your clothes on once you relax and just ride your pace

Trying to pull 5 slots for the two day complete school with Code in Vegas for the first weekend of Feb.... waiting for call back but it appears they are out of the office "playing" at the track on the weekends
smile.gif

Feb 2-3

Funny you should mention Pridmore's school. My son just called me five minutes ago and ask me if I was interested in a trip to Thunder Hill next month to share some track time with Mr. Pridmore. I did have to think about it for about two seconds
beerchug.gif

Took a peek at "Fast Freddies" site... looks to be a bit more of an advanced school and they do a lot of "up grading" after you sign on... (all inclusive with K.Codes program)

Keith seems to have done a better job on the "rookie friendly" side of the program and so may be a better choice for the other 4 guys that want to go along. (they are all on their first year of sport bike riding)..

I am liking the idea of Vegas as the track is a smaller road track and so a bit less to about the track and so more time to learn about the ride. Hope they have the spots open (looking at the stables, they must run a round robin of riders, had to be 40+ bikes)

Code !!!!! all the way..

Georgia and I went to VIR with them in Sept 06...

BEST thing we EVER did for learning, Can NOT go wrong !!!!!

i went to the ccs race school and it sucked!!!!!! i didnt learn a thing about riding better. take a pridmore,spencer,etc.....

i went to the ccs race school and it sucked!!!!!! i didnt learn a thing about riding better. take a pridmore,spencer,etc.....
really? what venue, what class rider are you and what previous experience racing do you have?

If you took a full day or 2 day class, they taught you nothing at all?

What did you learn at the Spencer or Pridmore schools that was not taught at the CCS events?

I'll be doing Jason Pridmore's STAR School later this summer, hopefully with Devil Dog
tounge.gif
and maybe Charles, Lamb, BA Busa, BigO may want to join in too....hint, hint...

Anyways, I've talked to a guy that has done STAR, Code and Spencer's school. Of the three, he totally swears by Spencer's High Performance riding school. This dude also became one of the top "novice" class racers with Masters of the Mountain in UTAH. It really depends on what you're looking for in a riding school. Me, I plan on competing on the club racing level...so my needs are geared towards more advanced techniques.

Back