Hauler Upgrades in time for the Bash

omslaw

Michelle owns my Busa
Staff member
Administrator
With the Bash just a few days away there were a few things that I "would like to do" to the trailer; nothing that HAD to be done, but you know...

One thing that I've been wanting to do for some time is to protect the floor. The bare plywood shows dirt easily and if it's raining/misting out, the ramp gets wet and the plywood was starting to peel up in spots.

I was at Lowe's with the kids on Friday and figured that I'd pickup some dark-grey floor paint. I also bought an anti-skid additive to add to it. Don't want the floor, especially the ramp, to be slippery.

And as long as I was at it, I may as well paint the walls, too. I had about 2 gals of a light blue paint left over from when I painted my workshop - I figured that would look good...

And since I know how everyone loves pics:

Here's a before shot:

IMG_0018.jpg

Saturday, my Son and I fabricated some additional mounting plates for the chocks and got them mounted in the floor.

Sunday morning, I set out taping and got started cutting in the walls. My Son wanted to help (I'm all for child labor :laugh: ) and Dad offered, too. It was warm and by the time we finished one coat, it was already dry enough to start a second:

IMG_0406.jpg

My daughters were anxiously standing by...they wanted to help. So I let them roll the lower parts - they had a blast. Sorry, no pics there, I was helping them out (this was their first time rolling paint.) After a break for my Son's soccer game (his team won 4-0), it was back to the trailer to tape off the walls so I could get the first coat on the floor and ramp. I got that laid down and it dried overnight. I was up at 5 a.m. on Monday to lay down the second coat; I needed it dry by Monday night. With the trailer closed up during the day, it helped "bake" the paint on. LOL

OK, enough of that banter I know y'all want to see what it looks like. Here's the after shot:

IMG_0409.jpg

With the Baxleys and HF chock in the nose:

IMG_0412.jpg

Some threaded inserts in the floor and straps for PVC electrical conduit make perfect "hold downs" for my stands; they don't budge:

IMG_0417.jpg

Gotta keep the broom and towels handy for cleanups:

IMG_0418.jpg

Helmets strapped to the racks for the trip:

IMG_0420.jpg

The wire shelves also double as a holder for the tie-downs:

IMG_0421.jpg

Harbor Freight chock in the nose. I had to use a HF chock because the only way to get 3 bikes in the trailer is to put one ALL the way in the nose. The Baxley (with the wide feet) won't fit all the way up in there:

IMG_0424.jpg

And the Baxleys. You can see the mounting plates in the floor making it easy for me to reconfigure to haul 1 (top middle plate), 2 (where they are now) or 3 (plates further back) bikes:

IMG_0425.jpg

The anti-skid additive worked out great! :thumbsup: I'll be finishing all the packing for the trip tonight. I have a couple more items that I'd like to add, but I may not get to 'em before I leave. I'll be heading out tomorrow afternoon, arriving sometime Thurs morning.

Shawn and I are going to try to be close so we can get our clinic up 'n running. See y'all there!

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!! :thumbsup: I have been wanted to trade my clamshell style snowmobile trailer in for a standup style to do just about the same thing. Once again, good work. :bowdown:

Cantex straps? Mmmmmm, someone is an electrician I take it?

Of course, the screen name may be a clue. :whistle:

That looks amazing. It's exactly the setup I'm looking to do when I finally decide on which trailer to get. Nice work!

Last edited:
Back