Hauler sound absorbing material

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I've never used this stuff before...but had an idea...

Our trailer generator is right under the master bed and creates noise and heat. I have been thinking of ways to disperse some of the heat by mounting a fan or using an exhaust, etc, etc...

I had a thought about using some sort of sound absorbing material like they use in trunks full of speakers.

It might be worth while placing some of this "carpet" on the inside of the aluminum box that holds the generator.

Do they make this stuff self adhesive~?~ Where can it be purchased~?~

I looked on Best buy, Advance, Ebay, etc, web sites but can not locate any...probably called something I'm not searching by.

100_1880.jpg

Last edited:
Just make sure that the adhesive you use is rated for high temps...

they make an engine compartment hood version of dynomat, I'd use that :thumbsup:

Dynamats high $$$ but I need to quiet my genset also in the toyhauler so I'll probibly pop for some. Let us know what type you use and how well it works.

they make an engine compartment hood version of dynomat, I'd use that :thumbsup:

Dynamats high $$$ but I need to quiet my genset also in the toyhauler so I'll probibly pop for some. Let us know what type you use and how well it works.

Yeah, really seems to cost a bit~!~

I'm going to check a couple places tomorrow to see if I can locate some of the hood material to compare prices.

I'll post if I find something

there are lots of materials you could use to reduce the noise. You still have to keep the unit well ventilated so there's always going to be some noise.

The main points I would focus on is isolating vibration from the unit and sound absorption/deflection above the unit (below your bed).

For the vibes I would make a wood or plastic platform with extra soft rubber blocks that can be sandwiched between the platform and floor.

To absorb the sound I would add layers above the unit. Try cardboard -> rug -> open cell foam. Wall insulation is great as a sound barrier too.

Back