Haul stretched busa on s10 need help please

Solomon

Registered
I am moving back to arizona .. 1600 mile trip . I need to know everything , straps, chock, everything . Please help . Do I need a trailer or on the bed . I really really need your guys help

Baxley wheel chock

Canyon dancer harness

Tie downs x's 4

Every time you make a stop for gas or rest. Release tension and readjust the straps, give everything a once over just 2 be on the safe side :beerchug:

How long is the stretch? how long is the S10 bed?

A 1" stretch on an S10 with an 8' box would be no issue.
a 20" stretch on an S10 with a 5' box would suck.

How long is the stretch? how long is the S10 bed?

A 1" stretch on an S10 with an 8' box would be no issue.
a 20" stretch on an S10 with a 5' box would suck.

Thank you for the fast reply . I think it is a 4 or 6 inch stretch . I'm going to check today . Thank you all

Your moving? And all you need is space for the Busa?
Moving usually means a lot of stuff to take along.
Buy or rent a trailer then you can pack other stuff in the trailer too and more
in the truck bed. Leaving stuff behind sucks. It's your call - but it's very rare to
have too much room when moving.

Something else to think about is IF you had an accident and rolled your truck the Busa would
be exposed and wrecked. In a covered trailer it should servive much better.

Good Luck moving - Let us know what you decide and how the move goes.

I'm not sure what year your truck is, but even the newest S-10 would be 10 years old by now. One of the most important things to do is check the condition of the tailgate cables. In my opinion, any sign of rust on the cables would warrant replacement. It can be very ugly when they fail, especially if they're supporting the weight of your bike. One member of the org had a cable failure while loading his brand new Busa at the Spring Bash in 2009. If there hadn't been a small crowd of people helping to load the bike, it could have been very dangerous for the bike and the owner. Even then, it landed hard on the exhaust. An aftermarket pipe set would have been badly damaged.

I have a 2001 with 98000 miles . I think I will just buy a trailer . I'm going to need it in the long run anyway . I am gonna get everything checked out before I go , tranny flush , new tires , brakes , hoses but my busa is ten times more important . I really appreciate the support . I don't have extra cash for a trailer but I will sacrifice to keep my busa safe for the ride

If you don't want to go in debt for a trailer - rent a Uhaul and then turn it in when you land. :thumbsup:

A 13 year old vehicle with 98k miles - lets see - you didn't say where you live now but if it is/was in the snowy part of the country there is probably a lot of rust under your vehicle.
NO - I'm not saying get a new vehicle to tow. Just really check out the underside of your vehicle for rust, you may be amazed at how rusty it is, as most people never look under their vehicle.
If you had a 3 year old vehicle with 98K on it that would be a different story. I've seen frames crack and break making vehicles undriveable.

My advice is to really get under the vehicle and check it out. Jack it up and use jack stands and really take a good look. If anything is iffy get it fixed. Unless you know nothing about vehicles
I would recommend YOU look under it, as a service tech ISN"T going to be driving 1600 miles with his prized possesion in tow, right? Not to mention all the other stuff you will be taking.
Better safe than sorry, right? Check the trailer hitch real well, that area of the vehicle seems to have a lot of salt and road junk thrown at it. Don't forget to check that air pressure in your spare tire too.
If the trailer hich bolts are real rusty - replace them. If the hitch fell off, the chains on the trailer will do nothing to keep it from rolling down the road if it broke loose.
I'm not trying to scare you - but I would hate to see any guy mess up his bike (or other property) because no one reminded him to take an ounce of prevention BEFORE he left to go
cross-country in a 13 year old vehicle.

If you have never used a trailer, I have a coulpe of tips.
If possible (and you don't have a stand mounted to the floor) try to set your Busa at the front of the trailer. EVERYTHING moves forward in a move like the one your going to do.
If the Busa is in the front it can't move anymore forward. It would be best if the trailer has tie-downs in the floor. Believe me EVERYTHING gets bounced, rattled, and shaken in a move. You need to
really tie it down well. Some roads in America really suck and you have no choice but to drive over them!
90% of trailers (including Uhauls) are designed to be driven at 55mph. Many people don't care and drive 70-80mph. I wouldn"t do that in your 13 year old vehicle.
It wastes Gasoline as your mileage will aready go down just by trailering. driving at 70+ you will use even more. If your vehicle is going to break it will break easier and sooner at higher speeds.
Remember everything will get shaken etc. more the faster you go. You don't want your Busa moving around, right?
You may want mirror extenders - if you haven't trailered before it can be helpful for a rookie. You don't want to pull out to change lanes or whatever and get hit because you
didn't see someone coming. Even if it is not illegal it might be worth it - I think you can rent those too. I still use mine when I trailer and I've gone cross-country a few times. :whistle:

I hope this helps. You can PM me if have any questions. If we live close (AZ is about 1600 miles for me too) Maybe I could help more - I don't know. Good luck.

See I knew you guys were going to squeeze the truth out of me . I stay in Illinois , I went last year to Phoenix to mmi , didn't like the school but loved Phoenix . Cali and Phoenix is biker heaven . I got so used to riding all year that when I moved back I now hate the Midwest and I'm putting it all on the line and moving back to Phoenix . I bought this truck to help me move to Phoenix on sept 3rd . I'm going to put my truck in the shop to get it prepared and I will have about 2000$ . The rent there is cheap . You can get a house with a pool for about 800-1000 and apt for about 600-800 , there are great jobs and schools and bikers . People who love to ride like me . Oh and beautiful women . It's hot as **** but you get a good 6 months of perfect weather before it starts to get hot and you still can ride but anyway . That is my whole story . I got a 2001 s10 ext cab . I got clothes and computer , tv , video game and probably a box or two of odds and ends . That's pretty much it .

I must admit I skimmed a little on the long posts. But I have no issue moving mine in a truck or trailer using 4 straps. If they will only be for the bike don't get super long ones. If loaded in the truck going 75 won't hurt as much as in a trailer. (The bike I mean, I don't know the condition of the truck)

Make sure to cover any places the straps may touch the plastics, the Busa is a big girl. Make sure the suspension compresses a good amount while tightening down, so no bounce. And put one twist in the strap when you connect the end to the bike or trailer, that will keep the strap from flapping.

See I knew you guys were going to squeeze the truth out of me . I stay in Illinois , I went last year to Phoenix to mmi , didn't like the school but loved Phoenix . Cali and Phoenix is biker heaven . I got so used to riding all year that when I moved back I now hate the Midwest and I'm putting it all on the line and moving back to Phoenix . I bought this truck to help me move to Phoenix on sept 3rd . I'm going to put my truck in the shop to get it prepared and I will have about 2000$ . The rent there is cheap . You can get a house with a pool for about 800-1000 and apt for about 600-800 , there are great jobs and schools and bikers . People who love to ride like me . Oh and beautiful women . It's hot as **** but you get a good 6 months of perfect weather before it starts to get hot and you still can ride but anyway . That is my whole story . I got a 2001 s10 ext cab . I got clothes and computer , tv , video game and probably a box or two of odds and ends . That's pretty much it .

So you don't have any furnature?
No tools, No bed, No table, No chairs, No desk, No lamps, No stereo, etc. You plan on moving into a furnished home or apartment? For the prices quoted above?
Are you going to want a garage for your bike at least?

I will assume your young if you have none of the above.

I'm going to put my truck in the shop to get it prepared and I will have about 2000$
Do you mean you are going to spend $2000 on your truck
or that you will have $2000 left after the truck is fixed up?

I hear you bro,I spent my first 37 years in IL and moved out West in '91(AZ for 5 years and SoCal for the last 19).Have gone back to IL to visit twice in 23 years,each time for 3 days and couldn't get back outa there fast enough.:laugh:

Back