Hating Vista (HTTP wont work connect, but pings out)

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
Vista Ultimate SP1: Nvidia Chipset

Configured as stand alone and no special settings

Web browser (IE7) will find site but can not download it..
Can ping outside IP's and DNS seems to be working fine (ping google etc)

System can see DNS/DHCP and even other stand alone computer..

BUT IT WONT load a web page..

Firewall turned off
is getting valid IP
can ping URL's
can ping IP's

Sorry Mr. B. My Vista sets are working ok, but there ARE a lot of compatibility issues.

I'm sure you checked the stupid stuff, like a network cable does not have the pins reversed (x over or bad make up)

Go get a cup of coffee or a beer, and come back to it later.

try a tracert. open a cmd prompt type in: tracert <ip address>
or tracert <url>
looking for any hops longer than 20ns you maybe hanging at your router. also check lower security in internet options and select the lowest for all settings. work up from there if you load a page.

DNS/DHCP from your ISP or your router?
Try a router reset, if it is using NAT it might be at fault.
i'll check back here later.
ace:poke:

i've also seen where TCP/IP has been corrupt on the NIC. Try uninstalling the protocol on your Network Inteface Card (NIC)..reboot and then re-install. Or try deleteing the NIC and rebooting, letting Vista find new hardware and reinstall. check NIC mfg website for latest driver and or firmware update.

i've also seen where TCP/IP has been corrupt on the NIC. Try uninstalling the protocol on your Network Inteface Card (NIC)..reboot and then re-install. Or try deleteing the NIC and rebooting, letting Vista find new hardware and reinstall. check NIC mfg website for latest driver and or firmware update.

Wow, the "Billy Badass" biker is a computer nerd:poke::laugh:

Would love to just load XP, however not an option on this box... (besides we gotta get used to this junk)

Already ran all the normal checks..

is pulling a valid IP 10.10.1.4 (Local network)
sees DHCP server at 10.10..1.1
Sees DNS servers 68....

DNS/DHCP are working as they should
Sees DHCP server, sees DNS servers (ipconfig /all is normal)
Tracert works to ip's and URL's
Browser even sees sites.. but can not download content and fails connection
The Vista "network connection" screen has the red X to the WAN but is fine for local connections..

Disabled Vista Firewall
Set security to lowest settings in IE7
Used different ports on switch (cable and port worked fine on another box but tried anyway)

one suspicious item is the connection speed is only at 10 on a 10/100/1000 network card and a 10/100 hub..

Tried the connection analyzer and it does not even see a problem.. but it shows the red X to anything other than local net..

thinking it could be a bug in the network card driver or Nvidia chip bug... will try alternate drivers tomorrow..

Get in touch with Ron(3505Panther) he gets paid to fix problems like these IIRC

Go try the half duplex mode in Vista.. I had this happen the other day too.

Vista Ultimate SP1: Nvidia Chipset

Configured as stand alone and no special settings

Web browser (IE7) will find site but can not download it..
Can ping outside IP's and DNS seems to be working fine (ping google etc)

System can see DNS/DHCP and even other stand alone computer..

BUT IT WONT load a web page..

Firewall turned off
is getting valid IP
can ping URL's
can ping IP's

I avoided pc's since the early 80's(ran mainframes, macs, suns etc.), have always had to troubleshoot them, so I'm quasi familiar with all versions of dos, windows. I vowed to avoid Vista...

Just walk away Lisa. Just walk away. :whistle:

try removing the TCP/IP protocol and reinstall it on the NIC w/reboot inbetween. eliminate IE7 as the bottleneck and download firefox. if it doesnt work, i'll put my money on your assumption of a bad NIC. A bad piece of new computer hardware? Microsoft isnt the only screw up out there! LOL

If you are unable to access the internet at all (no email, no software updates, no browser) I would guess a bad nic.

Has this computer ever connected to a website?

You could have corrupt drivers or corrupt registry entries.

If the computer has ever worked you might try a system restore, or a complete restore. It might be quicker than chasing this problem.

Good luck.

Back