Has anyone done an srad busa motor install?

Kevin Jones

Registered
Im stuck with some motors and I wanted to find some rollers and see if i could sell whole packages. Ive determined my location was my downfall, there just is a lot of builder competition and not a lot of spenders here. Anyway, stuck with a few motors, wanted to try and see how much work it would be to shove a busa motor in a lighter frame. Gimmicky maybe but it might help me sell a motor. Can you tell me a little about whats involved? I tried search but from what I got, its not an easy swap at all. More like a winter frustrating project.

Im stuck with some motors and I wanted to find some rollers and see if i could sell whole packages. Ive determined my location was my downfall, there just is a lot of builder competition and not a lot of spenders here. Anyway, stuck with a few motors, wanted to try and see how much work it would be to shove a busa motor in a lighter frame. Gimmicky maybe but it might help me sell a motor. Can you tell me a little about whats involved? I tried search but from what I got, its not an easy swap at all. More like a winter frustrating project.
I know @B.Eskedal has one done, funny you bring this up because I was thinking about this myself lately. Gotta guy who has the start of c10 disease and between lightening his bike and just picking up a 750 motor he has been joking about having the fastest 600 around so i figure if i do a gen 1 engine into a srad i could make him really look bad :lol: . I really miss my old srad anyway and wouldn't mind an excuse to have another in the future. If give it a try be sure to post up cause of sure like to know what all is involved.

You may get lucky and get a few answers as far the best non-Busa frame to accept a Busa motor...but you are talking about hours and hours of fab on a project like that. picking a frame that holds a Busa motor is just the beginning. For instance,motor goes in,motor mounts have to be added by way of custom brackets or tabs welded in then the counter shaft sprocket has to line up with the rear wheel sprocket using the new frames swing arm.
it would be a miracle if it lined up. Your idea of starting with a roller is a good one. Motor gets placed in the frame and first and foremost the sprogs aligned. The torque of the big beast will have to be taken into consideration.
The easiest way,althou back breaking would be to see if a guy who owns a motorcycle salvage yard would let you play for the day. Take a Busa motor to the bike graveyard and start to go thru frames. Starting with a couple easy measurements like the height of the Busa motor...will it fit in the hole.If it does,see if it fits length wise. You should be able to quickly move thru prospective donors. The other key factor would be that you can easily line up motor sprog to wheel sprog by such cheesy methods as welding one sprog on top of another to get a chain to line up...but you can't get them to line up if the wheel sprocket is to far to the side to line up,unless you install the motor way off center to the left if you follow me. I would measure frames that still have the swingarm attached. The other thing you may encounter is the chain run clearing the frame at the frame/swingarm point...and also with the width of a Busa motor,will the chain clear the new frames down pipes. You could solve that by a fat tire bike kit similarity using outside drive. Good luck. Hopefully somebody posts up with...
"Just get a '92 Gixxer 750 frame and weld 3 tabs on." :laugh:
Rubb.

I was very close to having a custom trellis racing frame made for my Busa. Was going to cost $12K or so, which is pretty reasonable as those things go. I lost the link but they were an English shop known for their race frames. I'm told it would be a huge weight savings and I would do some geometry tweaks to improve race handling. It had an adjustable head for steering adjustment and an adjustable swingarm pivot. I could transfer my Ohlins front and rear. Not sure the OEM fairings would work though. Decided I would rather have a new F-150 Platinum though, I'm not a racer Lol!

I bet you can buy a frame though. They race Busas in Japan and there is some exotic stuff if you look hard enough.

I found this old thread and if it's the same place and people they say Lee's performance did one, I know they show up as being in North Carolina might be worth reaching out and see if anyone remembers it. I know @B.Eskedal also known as @Bjørnar Eskedal used a 600 frame on his.

I have long thought about transplanting a Busa into another frame...Only going to happen if my baby is ever totally destroyed, but I can keep the engine.

What do you gain in a 600 frame? Especially an old one? Seems like putting the busa in a liter frame would be better.

...and the current liter bikes are surpassing the Hayabusa in hp figures these days so transplanting a Hayabusa motor into their frames is a bit of a moot point.

Do all that work to put a Hayabusa motor into a 600 frame only to get passed by just about any current liter bike.

Be a good make work project though.

...and the current liter bikes are surpassing the Hayabusa in hp figures these days so transplanting a Hayabusa motor into their frames is a bit of a moot point.

Do all that work to put a Hayabusa motor into a 600 frame only to get passed by just about any current liter bike.

Be a good make work project though.
They match hp but not torque. Still I agree with you I'm not sure what the point is.

They match hp but not torque. Still I agree with you I'm not sure what the point is.

That's why I only mentioned hp figures, they have less torque but not that much less. The S1000RR is pretty close with it's Variable Valve Timing and it's 430lbs makes up for the difference IMO.

But yeah, lots of work to do this conversion....

I wouldnt go through all of that and stick a stock gen 1 in there. 1441 or more. But as has been said, not worth the amount of work and time.

Back