Has anyone done a Gen II Stock Exhaust Mod drilling out baffle?

09busa2fast

Registered
Wanting to make my Busa a little louder but tight on money. I thought about ordering some shorty bolt-ons like Hotbodies megaphones or the Jardine GP1's but I recently talked to someone who rides cruisers and said he has done this and I might be able to just drill out the stock exhaust baffles. Has anyone ever tried this? This is what you see when looking down the pipe from the outlet.

If anyone has put on the Hotbodies megaphones or Jardine GP1 how do you like them and is the sound what you expected? I have looked on YouTube at many vids but it is just hard to determine if I will like the sound of them without hearing them in person. I'm hoping to go to a few dealers inmy area soon to see if they have any used bikes that may have them.

image.jpg

photo.jpg

The stock gen2 mufflers have 3 chambers.
I suppose you could use a hole saw with an extension and drill them out.
There are some threads here about cutting them shorter too.
I cut mine shorter as have several others.
Saved about 6lbs per side and looked and sounded better.
I painted mine flat black, but will have to look for pics.
Schism cut his shorter and did a nice job, you can pm him for details if he doesn't see this thread.

Yeah...I saw a thread about the Gen I cut downs and read through it. Those looked pretty awesome and easy to do! :thumbsup:

when i broke the welds on the end cap screws i bored out (9 )1/2 holes for a throaty sound. from a clouded memory, i believe i removed 1 of the 3 chambers but not certain if all 3. then i used a long auger bit and made 3 holes in a triangle direction of the muffler and sent 3 threaded rods down and bolted it all back together. overall it worked very well and i cut some huge weight over stock but i would highly recommend welding the end cap back on if possible. i believe each muffler came out to be about 9 1/2- 10" inches long when all buttoned up. here is an old pic i dug up. oh, wear gloves because that insulation will get the best of you.20101118_89.jpg20090523_41.jpg

when i broke the welds on the end cap screws i bored out (9 )1/2 holes for a throaty sound. from a clouded memory, i believe i removed 1 of the 3 chambers but not certain if all 3. then i used a long auger bit and made 3 holes in a triangle direction of the muffler and sent 3 threaded rods down and bolted it all back together. overall it worked very well and i cut some huge weight over stock but i would highly recommend welding the end cap back on if possible. i believe each muffler came out to be about 9 1/2- 10" inches long when all buttoned up. here is an old pic i dug up. oh, wear gloves because that insulation will get the best of you.20101118_89.jpg20090523_41.jpg

Looks stock, or at least how stock should have looked.

Old pics.
I cut the bracket off the midpipe that the chrome shield bolts to.
Then spray painted the mufflers. I gutted the catalytic converter and the mufflers never got hot.
I cut the muffler in half with a sawzall and had a friend weld the caps on.
The look isn't for everyone, but for free, I liked it until I had the money to buy full exhaust.

SDC10961.jpg

SDC10959.jpg

SDC10958.jpg

The open bolt on tips are super loud. Like tickle the inside of your ear loud. I wore ear plugs when riding and reallly wanted to be heard before seen but it was too much imo so I took them off and also the damn things kept falling off it seemed no matter how much I cranked them down tight. I did the pair valve mod when I put my headman tips on.

my youtube video

Last edited by a moderator:

I think this might be the way i go. I love the stock look but shortened.

I installed Jardine GP 1's on my 09 and I love them. The weight savings is incentive enough. I bought the polished set and was actually quite happy about the quality of the parts.I did not expect them to be so nice. I tryed them with out the baffles but they seemed a little too loud but not that bad. I put the baffles in them and think they sound great. I have had a lot of compliments about how they sound and I always ask people if they sound too loud and everyone has said no,they sound just right. When you open up the bike it just screams with that exhaust.I thought it was money well spent.

I have to change the sound cuz bike is quiet with he stock mufflers and i can hear the engine internal parts moving than the sound of the bike.

Back