Harley to Hayabusa - Old man

Tommy Tunes

Registered
Hi,
I'm 56, crazy, ride hard, love the adrenalin rush... I've been riding Harley's all my life. The laid back upright position. I'm looking very seriously at changing my whole riding deal... i.e., the busa. I have a bit of a neck problem. My stress seems to settle on the right side of my neck and I'm wondering if the Busa is just to much of a position change for me.
The salesman at my local store says that if I change the seat to a corbin it will drop an inch, and then add the heli risers with a more comfortable grip that I'de be in business. I need some inpuit from you real world riders out there. What do you think about these mods making the bike comfortable enough. Also, he has a 2007 leftover and is willing to give me a good deal... if, I do something should I opt for the good deal, or wait for the 08...
Need help, thanks,
Tommy Tunes

Lots of comfort mods to be made including the risers and new seat. Just a little biased, but you really can't beat the Busa. Tough choice you've got, but hang around and you'd be amazed at the information/opinions you will get. Welcome! BTW, what are you riding now?

Not an uncommon issue for a lot of guys

I did three things to help and it helped A LOT..

Helibars
Spacers (between the head clamp and the bar plate (3/4 inch on mine) Doyle can help you there DR1300R
Buell Peg mod. Ok not a handle bar thing but after I got my upper fixed, my legs needed addressed..

bike went from a 1 tank a day comfort zone to 3-4 tank a day rider..

I know this will never ride anything like my Heritage or have the long distance comfort, but my gosh this thing is fun to ride...

Hey Tommy welcome, man if you've been getting an adreneline rush off a Harley you are in for one big surprise
laugh.gif
I came from a traditional upright crusing riding position (Yamaha V-Max), the Busa is my first sport bike and to me it took a while to get aquainted with the new riding position but believe me I havn't regretted getting a Busa one bit, what a totally awesome machine, also since getting the Busa I havn't started, looked at or even taken the cover off my V-Max. As you mentioned there are several mods that you can do to aquire a more comfortable riding position, especially if you're a big guy, I'm going to try the Heli-Bars, Tobin Seat & Buell Peg Mod but to be honest I'm getting more comfortable with the bike just the way it is every time I ride it. As far as choosing between 07 & 08 that's just something you're gonna have to decide for yourself.

welcome.gif
The '08 performance is better than the '07 but the '07 is not a dog either. You may like some of the '08 upgrades and can even get the harley orange and black.

I see you're in FL. Get a busa and let's ride.
super.gif

Thanks guys,
I'm presently riding an 05 Deluxe with about 42,000.00 invested. I'm pushing 110 horse with 114 lbs of torque; it really gets up for a harley. I'm more interested in comfort and feeling like I'm more a part of the bike, not just the driver... may sound crazy, but you long time riders know what I mean. By the way, I'm 5'8" with a 30 inseam, 32" arm and about 185 lbs.
I'm looking to have the ability to ride for three to four days, not just putt around on weekends... Hence, looking at the busa.
Tommy

you are pretty close to the ideal size for the bike the way it is from the factory... it is the 6'+ crowd that starts to feel a bit cramped (and 45+)
smile.gif

you will love the busa, very comfy. There are tons of mods to make it more enjoyable on long rides, but I enjoy mines and haven't done any comfort mods. The adrenaline will have you feeling like a junkie, you just keep wanting more
thumb_up.gif

Thanks guys,
I'm presently riding an 05 Deluxe with about 42,000.00 invested. I'm pushing 110 horse with 114 lbs of torque; it really gets up for a harley. I'm more interested in comfort and feeling like I'm more a part of the bike, not just the driver... may sound crazy, but you long time riders know what I mean. By the way, I'm 5'8" with a 30 inseam, 32" arm and about 185 lbs.
I'm looking to have the ability to ride for three to four days, not just putt around on weekends... Hence, looking at the busa.
Tommy
32" arms! HOLY CRAP! Them is some guns!
guns.gif

Thanks guys,
Tommy
I'm your height and inseam exactly, you will be very comfortable with a Tobin seat to lower you a couple inches closer to the ground, or lowering links. Stock is a little bit of a tiptoe for us petite old farts trying to back it up or maneuver it around a parking lot.
smile.gif

welcome.gif
to the board...my last couple bikes before buying my 'Busa were Triumph choppers...i haven't regretted the decision at all...it is a totally different experience when you straddle this thing

like you mentioned, i feel much more in touch with the bike and with the ride since i am constantly adjusting my seating and leaning positions to prepare for the next curve/corner...of course, on a long ride on the interstate, i can sit up and enjoy the scenery also...just depends on how you want to ride that day...this was definitely one of the best things i ever did
beerchug.gif

You will notice on this board, that most riders are not in their twenties. We are all a little older. The busa is a great do it all bike. If you really want one, get it. There are a few mods that will make a world of difference in the riding comfort. Double bubble wind screen, bar risers, and lower pegs can help. I need to make some of these mods myself. The members on this site are fanatics about the busa, and we have members here that can offer parts to you alot cheaper than you can purchase them from the dealership. Also keep in mind, we have sponsors that offer better prices on parts as well. Hit us up for the parts you need, someone can point you in the right direction, just use the
easybutton.png
! Welcome to the oRg, you will like it here.

Thanks guys,
Tommy
32" arms! HOLY CRAP! Them is some guns!
guns.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif
jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

welcome.gif
newbie.gif
be safe and enjoy, you have one
kickass.gif
scoot with serious play habits. Ever been to 180 MPH on that Harley
rock.gif

I rode mine with some discomfort at first, but after putting some miles on the Busa I left it as is. 6' 250 lbs. and old as dirt.

23K miles ridden during my first year.

I'll suggest ride it for a while, take a few 300 mile trips before making any mods. You might be surprised.

worthless.gif

welcome.gif
Tommy. I'm 57 and this is the first sport bike I have owned and I have been riding for 45 years. I came from a cruiser also, and I found after riding for an hour or more my back hurt so much I wanted off. The riding position on a busa is alot different than a cruiser, but you will get used to it after awhile. My bike has stock height bars. I have lowered the pegs, but I,m very comfortable on the busa now and ride 500+ miles a day with no problem. My 05 busa was two years old the last day of July and I have almost 40,000 miles on it. You think you got a kick from the performance of the HD, you are in for a big surprise when you roll on the throttle of a busa! Don't fret, get a busa and you will not be sorry. As for getting an 07 or an 08, I would save the $$ and get a great deal on an 07. After all, an 07 will have more power than most of us riders will EVER use to it's full potential! Glad to have you on the org.

Two words: DO IT!

I was an all Harley, all the time kind of rider. I started admiring 'Busas back in 2000, and over the years simply developed a lust for them.

Pulled the trigger in the end of September on an '08. Have not ridden my worked '05 Ultra (lots of performance mods) since then.

You have not felt real horsepower and torque until you have ridden a 'Busa. You will definitely appreciate what it has to offer. Not only that, but it will most definitely make a better rider out of you.

As far as comfort, from one H-D guy to another, you will have to re-train yourself. Your body position will be different, the hand controls slightly different, and the foot controls in a very different position. You will notice what an effect your posture, and body positioning makes on handling, as well as comfort. I took about a week to get used to the controls, the proper body positioning for different situations, like stop-and-go traffic, cornering (still ride it like a cruiser), and freeway blasting (talk about a rush). After a week, you will probably have a real appreciation for the ergonomics, and the engineering behind them. One thing I can't get used to is having a single directional control switch, that isn't even self-cancelling. I guess time will fix that.

Everybody has given some GREAT advice about comfort mods here. To be honest, I have been coming to this board for about a month before I got my 'Busa. I found such a wealth of information here, that it made it a no-brainer that there was a 'Busa in my immediate future.

A side note regarding performance: Out of the box, you will be AMAZED by what a 'Busa can do. It's definitely eye-opening! You will LOVE what the bike is capable of. The downside of that performance? Your Softail will look weak on the dyno!

Additional benefits? Your maintenance costs will drop. I mean that. I do all of my own work, and the service parts are more affordable than H-Ds. Performance upgrades are affordable, compared to similar mods on a Harley. Customization is also affordable, compared to H-Ds. Camaraderie? Just look at this board! Not to mention how people will come right up to you and start a conversation with you about your bike. I have met more riding buddies in one month with the 'Busa than I could believe! All good people, to boot. I have also found a good age spread, so the 'Busa family is pretty all-inclusive.

In closing, let me say that it's such a great bike, for so many reasons that you can't go wrong getting your hands on one.

SO WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR??

P.S. I had better mention that my wife (Heritage Springer rider) just got her 'Busa.

Are you still sitting at your computer reading this? GO GET ONE!

beerchug.gif

Back