Harley To Buy Ducati

I think neither. Hope they don't screw it up like Buel and MV Agusta.

The challenge would be the dealer network integration. At this time Ducati Dealers are doing their own thing. If Harley owns them, there is the opportunity to have both brands under one roof at the dealer and promote the brand the same way it is done currently with Harley. Harley has better marketing than anyone else in the bike world, with their aftermarket parts, clothes and riding chapters infrastructure. If they can grow Ducati into this culture it could really work for them, however it would pose a huge threat to the current Ducati dealer network.

HD and Ducati riders are like oil and water.........

I think HD's board of directors is a nightmare. They understand the Harley Davidson product but their vision is so narrow they can't see or understand anything else in the motorcycle world. MV Agusta and Buell are perfect examples of HD's lack of vision and bungling. Buell was just starting to produce bikes that could be taken seriously in the V-twin sportbike world when HD pulled the plug on "Eric Buells sportbike hobby". They wouln't even sell the brand because they were afraid someone else would make the brand a success and HD would loose face. HD promised to support the exhisting Buell motorcycles after they discontinued the brand. If you believed that I've got a bridge I like to sell you. You can't trust a word that comes out of HD. HD has better finances at this point but to be honest I'd prefer to see Bajaj get control of Ducati. I'd rather drive a bit further to get to an existing Ducati dealership and have Ducati keep their identity rather then see them become the red-headed bastard stepchild of Harley Davidson.

HD and Ducati riders are like oil and water.........

Sorry Arch but I gotta disagree..... I've been a Harley owner for several years now. I've been in love with Ducatis before I even knew what the hell they were! Maybe the old crusty HD biker may frown upon it but they aren't gonna be buying let alone riding forever! HD knows this and are desperate to attract younger riders. Hence the styling cues that they've applied to some of their popular models. Gone are the white walls, chrome and shiny paint! Now you see blacked out Harley's more and more. Denim paints, Matte finishes, sportier styling. On the HD forums all the old fogeys are up in arms about it but the dealerships cant keep those models on the showroom floors....

Bringing Ducati in and taking some of their technology and applying to HD would be a good thing IMO. Ducati isn't Buell or MV...... the brand will sell itself. Guys that walk in and drop $40k on a HD CVO won't have a problem buying a Multistrada or a Monster for their kid.

Sorry Arch but I gotta disagree..... I've been a Harley owner for several years now. I've been in love with Ducatis before I even knew what the hell they were! Maybe the old crusty HD biker may frown upon it but they aren't gonna be buying let alone riding forever! HD knows this and are desperate to attract younger riders. Hence the styling cues that they've applied to some of their popular models. Gone are the white walls, chrome and shiny paint! Now you see blacked out Harley's more and more. Denim paints, Matte finishes, sportier styling. On the HD forums all the old fogeys are up in arms about it but the dealerships cant keep those models on the showroom floors....

Bringing Ducati in and taking some of their technology and applying to HD would be a good thing IMO. Ducati isn't Buell or MV...... the brand will sell itself. Guys that walk in and drop $40k on a HD CVO won't have a problem buying a Multistrada or a Monster for their kid.

You trying to start something 1busa? Ha Ha maybe you're right. I'm sure HD has considered this move and has some idea of how this will work. Maybe they will be run like to different companies and go on with business as usual.

wow an even more unreliable bike sounds awesome. I only see two kinds of bikes stranded on the sides of hi ways and their either HD's or Ducati's.

I can only smh at the number of times my buddys Ducati wud overheat at intersections and shut off and he wud hav to roll it to the side of the road lol. he mother fuked that thing every day he rode it lol

Good points 1Busa. Cadillac has been fighting the same issue. Nobody wants huge luxury vehicles any more so they've been trying hard to create sportier model to attract the younger crowd away from BMW and Mercedes-Benz. I think the V-Rod was HD's attempt to do the same thing. I've heard some good things about this model as far as power and handling but I understand the HD crowd has shunned these bikes.
Dinosaurs ruled the earth for years but didn't/couldn't evolve. HD might be fighting the same issue. It'd interesting to see where they end up in 30 years. I just hope they take a hands off attitude with their new Italian plaything and don't interfere with them too much. Maybe they have learned things from Buell and MV Augusta. Time will tell.

Well I don't think they bought it to give away their money. They are going to expect to make money. Even with a great following that is loyal as hell Ducati has always had problems when it came to profit! And that's usually where the trouble begins. I have to say though if Audi can't make that company work with unlimited money and technology I just can't see HD getting it to click.

THIS...

the 60s era bikers are fading out of buying new bikes and HD knows it.. so theyre catering to the next FEW generations already. ( now its the 40 something crowd buying HD, and HD knows to keep on top of the game they have to appeal to the 20-30 crowd. ) they didnt have to cater to the younger generation during the Buell days, so they didnt.. and lost big from it while ruining a solid bike and great designer. Given current market, and HD being the only bike that retains value anywhere near well. they MAY actually turn Ducati around and really put it up on the list as a solid option to jap bikes.

personally Im hoping I live long enough to ride an overhead cam big twin liquid cooled Harley that red lines at 8k instead of 4.5k :D ( granted the V rod WAS a good bike, until concept dept got a hold of it.)

wow an even more unreliable bike sounds awesome. I only see two kinds of bikes stranded on the sides of hi ways and their either HD's or Ducati's.

I can only smh at the number of times my buddys Ducati wud overheat at intersections and shut off and he wud hav to roll it to the side of the road lol. he mother fuked that thing every day he rode it lol

Again.... gonna have to disagree

You probably do see more HD's on the side of the road because there are More HD's on the road period than any other brand. So your naturally gonna see more broke down if more people are riding them.

I just recently took a 500 mile trip down to The Dragon. 9 hours of continuos riding only to stop for gas and take a piss. Then rode all day with a buddy and racked up another couple hundred miles riding throughout TN & NC. Then rode 9 hours back home...... Pretty close to 1500 miles in 3 days. I had Zero issues from my HD. My buddy has HD as well and traveled farther than me and had Zero issues as well

the "unreliable" Harley is from the AMF era shovelheads ( 1971-1984 Cone shovels) this isnt without merit since typically the timing/ignition sucked, the design had issues, and the " auto chain oiling" system basically left big assed puddles of oil everywhere. yet even those engines now with modern oil pumps, closed oil systems ( ie not " auto lubing the chain because chains arent 1/10th as shitty as they where in that era) and an aftermarket timing system are reliable and popular. ( the bulk of bikes at Born free shows and smoke out are shovels that have been updated) Ive spent so much time repeating this very same thing to people on thier second bike I dont even bother anymore. Most have no idea the history of Harley Davidson and the impact that company has had on keeping motorcycling alive in the US or even any actual knowledge of Harleys its just old trying to explain it...
people parrot the same poop they hear from weekend track racers and assorted " professionals" who have never ridden a harley much less ridden a bike a thousand miles in a day its just futile to try and educate the ignorant. ANd really... think of ANY other bike that still is on the road a decade old. ( the only ones I know of spent the bulkf of thier life in a garage and have 5-7k miles on them, find a decade old harley with 5k on it I DARE ya :D)

on Buell, that wasnt tailored to the HD demographic. ( buell didnt make cruisers...) Eric Buell used to work FOR HD. he came up with his own bike design based on the sportster engine ( ever rode a Buell? poop tons of Torque, not much on top end speed) the Biggest reason Buell failed was he tried to reach into the pocket of the japanese bike industry without offering something MORE than what they already had out .. his bikes where slower, not showy, and while innovative. he came too little too late ( by the time Buell was kicking out ideas that really got notice, the big 3 had already surpassed his innovations with more speed, better dynamics, and overall a more appealing bike.) his Rotax versions had promise but again he squandered funding and spent more time trying to catch up instead of inventing something truely his own and individual. that said, the Fuel in frame design was likely his biggest contribution but even that had been done before ( I cant recall who offhand, I want to say norton/BSA or some other brit bike more obscure) top it all off with a MASSIVE loss in motorcycle sales and interest during his beginings... the US was in recession, the 80s where over and there was less luxury money flaoting into motorcycles. PLUS his bikes where more expensive than most other sport bikes. I personally Collect buells even:D ( got 4 in storage, because theyre Iconic to me, I love the simplistic design, the things he did do he got rather right IMO, and they are a TON of fun to ride. except for the blast, that thing is only good for tearing down and building a go-kart.

on topic.
HDs purchase of Ducati has potential of saving a moderately decent bike brand with a long history. I give it a solid 70% chance. that said, Im of the mind HD isnt blind to what Ducati is and what it SHOULD be and WILL push them to get up on performance and create a strong contender for the japanese bike market, hopefully at a price that is affordable. its possible ducati could come out with the next CBR/GIXER and take over the market with the big money backing them. Its not likely, given the hurdles, but there is still a chance.

Bikes and styles come and go over the years, hell its almost like fashion version for men. we all want the latest and greatest... whos to say ducati isnt up to the task? the Monster came out in 93 and was popular. Still heralded as the first " naked bike".

I think Audi owns ducati now. I had a 2012 panigale 1199. I crashed it two months later. Great bike though

Well I don't think they bought it to give away their money. They are going to expect to make money. Even with a great following that is loyal as hell Ducati has always had problems when it came to profit! And that's usually where the trouble begins. I have to say though if Audi can't make that company work with unlimited money and technology I just can't see HD getting it to click.

It is not reality yet. May happen, may not. Looks unlikely:
Linky giving some perspective:

http://www.brandchannel.com/2017/06/27/harley-davidson-ducati-062717/

https://www.streetinsider.com/Merge...son+or+Other+Bidder+-+Bloomberg/13038972.html

http://www.cycleworld.com/ducati-motorcycles-to-remain-within-audi-group

About those suggesting Harley has bad reliability, mine took me 40 minutes to do a 5,000 mile service doing everything in the book. Try and do that on a Busa, even if you decide only to change the oil and filter.......

It is just a very different kind of ride, not concentrating on performance, handling and brakes when compared to the sporting crowd. There are a lot of bike riders who never see 100mph ever, just an American thing. I got bored pretty fast and sold mine.

Last edited:
the "unreliable" Harley is from the AMF era shovelheads ( 1971-1984 Cone shovels) this isnt without merit since typically the timing/ignition sucked, the design had issues, and the " auto chain oiling" system basically left big assed puddles of oil everywhere. yet even those engines now with modern oil pumps, closed oil systems ( ie not " auto lubing the chain because chains arent 1/10th as shitty as they where in that era) and an aftermarket timing system are reliable and popular. ( the bulk of bikes at Born free shows and smoke out are shovels that have been updated) Ive spent so much time repeating this very same thing to people on thier second bike I dont even bother anymore. Most have no idea the history of Harley Davidson and the impact that company has had on keeping motorcycling alive in the US or even any actual knowledge of Harleys its just old trying to explain it...
people parrot the same poop they hear from weekend track racers and assorted " professionals" who have never ridden a harley much less ridden a bike a thousand miles in a day its just futile to try and educate the ignorant. ANd really... think of ANY other bike that still is on the road a decade old. ( the only ones I know of spent the bulkf of thier life in a garage and have 5-7k miles on them, find a decade old harley with 5k on it I DARE ya :D)

on Buell, that wasnt tailored to the HD demographic. ( buell didnt make cruisers...) Eric Buell used to work FOR HD. he came up with his own bike design based on the sportster engine ( ever rode a Buell? poop tons of Torque, not much on top end speed) the Biggest reason Buell failed was he tried to reach into the pocket of the japanese bike industry without offering something MORE than what they already had out .. his bikes where slower, not showy, and while innovative. he came too little too late ( by the time Buell was kicking out ideas that really got notice, the big 3 had already surpassed his innovations with more speed, better dynamics, and overall a more appealing bike.) his Rotax versions had promise but again he squandered funding and spent more time trying to catch up instead of inventing something truely his own and individual. that said, the Fuel in frame design was likely his biggest contribution but even that had been done before ( I cant recall who offhand, I want to say norton/BSA or some other brit bike more obscure) top it all off with a MASSIVE loss in motorcycle sales and interest during his beginings... the US was in recession, the 80s where over and there was less luxury money flaoting into motorcycles. PLUS his bikes where more expensive than most other sport bikes. I personally Collect buells even:D ( got 4 in storage, because theyre Iconic to me, I love the simplistic design, the things he did do he got rather right IMO, and they are a TON of fun to ride. except for the blast, that thing is only good for tearing down and building a go-kart.

on topic.
HDs purchase of Ducati has potential of saving a moderately decent bike brand with a long history. I give it a solid 70% chance. that said, Im of the mind HD isnt blind to what Ducati is and what it SHOULD be and WILL push them to get up on performance and create a strong contender for the japanese bike market, hopefully at a price that is affordable. its possible ducati could come out with the next CBR/GIXER and take over the market with the big money backing them. Its not likely, given the hurdles, but there is still a chance.

Bikes and styles come and go over the years, hell its almost like fashion version for men. we all want the latest and greatest... whos to say ducati isnt up to the task? the Monster came out in 93 and was popular. Still heralded as the first " naked bike".
Ducati is up to the task! Read the reviews and testing on the 2018 Panigale V4. It is awesome, pricey but awesome. It is also a beautiful machine. I have mixed feelings on HD and Ducati, they are both iconic bikes and it may not be a good marriage. I own both and have also owned the Buell 1125R with the Rotax. I think Eric Buell had the biggest hand in the failure basically 3 times. BTW I do have a 2002 Harley with 48xx miles on it. :D

Back