Harley Road King Help

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Okay team, trying to help my sister out again. Without getting into the details of the situation she has several Harleys or custom bikes that I am trying to help her get rid of. There is a 1989 Road King that was starting just fine and I ran it for 10 or 15 minutes on several occasions. When I started to move it after sitting for several years it started fine and when I let the clutch out it hesitated a little but we started moving and then it died.

Now I can't get the bike to start, there is zero fire at the coil (which I replaced thinking that was the issue). I put a volt meter on the 3 pin connector to the coil and I get 5 volts, what should it be and if 12 V what might keep it from getting full voltage? The battery is brand new and shows 13 volts.

HELP

Cap
20220323_171955.jpg

I have a factory service manual for a 2001 and gave it a look. Found out if you want the specifications and diagnosis for the electrical system you have to buy a different manual. In my manual it shows a picture of the coil, the torque on the bolts and which plug wire goes to which cylinder. Thanks for nothing!!!!

I have a factory service manual for a 2001 and gave it a look. Found out if you want the specifications and diagnosis for the electrical system you have to buy a different manual. In my manual it shows a picture of the coil, the torque on the bolts and which plug wire goes to which cylinder. Thanks for nothing!!!!
I hate how Harley does this with the two book thing. Why couldn't they just sell us one book?

Only thing I can think is to try to check cam, crank, and speed sensors if easily accessible.
I don't have any sleeves but you may be able to find some help in the net. I find the Harley guys typically say " look in your manual".

Did it tip far over as you were moving it? I read that some of these require several on-off transitions of the key to reset the ECU after the tip-over is activated.

Any idea where the tip-over is located, for inspection?

I hate how Harley does this with the two book thing. Why couldn't they just sell us one book?

Only thing I can think is to try to check cam, crank, and speed sensors if easily accessible.
I don't have any sleeves but you may be able to find some help in the net. I find the Harley guys typically say " look in your manual".
Harley wants their bikes at dealerships.....that's where the money is......

The coil shows good when I put it on a meter so we have that checked out. There is a sidecar on the bike so tipover is out of the question as it hasn't moved more than 10 feet. I am currently thinking that its the crankshaft sensor so I am getting the meter voltages so I can try that one out.

thanks for the insight and help folks.

Cap

Back