Harley in racing

the problem with the Buell is two-fold:

1. In Daytona Sportbike they let the 1125r compete with 600cc sportbikes. apparently the Buells need an engine tice the size of the japanese bikes...(but the Italians don't because they race the 848cc bike)

2. In american Superbike they let the 1125RR (with modified airbox,intake tract,valves and cams and more compression) run with non-modified bikes from japan....if the japanese bikes showed with the same mods they would be DQ'd.

the AMA ruined Dirt-track when instead of telling Harley to build a competetive bike, they outlawed the multi cylinder monsters the japanese were making from TZ700's and the Kawasaki triples....

the NHRA ruined dragracing when it decided to re-write the rules and allow H-D to build 2500cc that shared no common parts with any HD ever made.....while everybody else had to use OEM based GS and KZ type engines....

why is it that the ducati's can dominate world superbike, so much that Honda built its own twin because it got tired of losing......but HD and Buell cannot even compete on an even playing field?

I think this sums up the question you ask me :beerchug:

Harleys are a life style. Some of that lifestyle is cool, alot of it is fat guys talking trash and carrying sidearms. Harley long ago ditched its engineering department. Even the VROD was designed off-site.

I love Harleys, don't like most of the fatsos and their ugly wives that populate the H-D dealers. But I'd never sell my Busa. I need a motorcycle AND a Harley!

Wow, this thread has so totally cleared up some of my confusion about Buell and the AMA. I also had no idea about the flat track races with xr1200s. Seriously, what we need for an american sportbike is either an indy group of engineers (like what Buell tried but a little more open minded), or one of the big auto manufacturers like Ford needs to get off their duff an fill the demand for such product. I mean how many americans would buy an american sportbike that kept up with the Japanese factories?

i would love to see an american sportbike that was competitive and cool.:cheerleader:

The are trying hard, hope they make it. At the end of the day, it is about money, investors and confidence that it will be a product that sells. Let's cross fingers, but it is difficult to start from scratch, compete with the masters who have developed massive resources and can afford hefty R&D costs.

Here is a linky: MotoCzysz home

heres the thing....Harley learned a long time ago, all they had to do was sell the image. Erik Buell was hamstrung buy his connection to HD, yeah it was easy to source motors but in the end it was the downfall.

they had a special a couple years back about the design and evolution of the HD V-Rod, and it really showed why HD cannot compete with the japanese. they usd the phrase "it has to look and feel like a Harley" alot....so they are building a modern motorcycle that has to feel like it was designed in the '60's....great.

why did the new Buells have to have a twin, why not have Rotax build them a a V-Four?

why is it that John Britton could build a world beating monster, in his backyard. a bike that detroyed the WSB winning Ducatis at Daytona....because he did not have to make it feel like a harley.

why is it that John Britton could build a world beating monster, in his backyard. a bike that detroyed the WSB winning Ducatis at Daytona....because he did not have to make it feel like a harley.

Agreed, so we need a badass engineer with a lot of time and tools... Ok lets start the donation pools now! We needed a monster american sportbike like YESTERDAY!

Back