Hardballer 45 Longslide

Busaman5000

Donating Member
Registered
Anybody ever shot one of these? My grandpa gave me his for Christmas. I believe he said he got it in 1972. Pretty cool gun I had never heard of it though. Figured I would take it to the range to day and try her out. :cheerleader:

hardballer.jpg

never seen or shot one but very nice to say the least. sure it will be a darn good shooter with that barrel length.

AMT hardballer..I had one. Keep it very clean and lubricate often. The use of stainless for the slide and frame would cause them to develope more friction and tend to limit slide operation due to, what i later found out was called Galling.

My advice is to have the slide and frame rails checked by a good Gunsmith.

My AMT shot very well, 3-4" groups at 25 yards.

Nice gun! :thumbsup:

AMT hardballer..I had one. Keep it very clean and lubricate often. The use of stainless for the slide and frame would cause them to develope more friction and tend to limit slide operation due to, what i later found out was called Galling.

ditto on the lube...lots of it...matter fact?..dudes i knew who owned them kept goobs of white lithium grease on the frame rails..great pistol and all but due to the extended barrel length the pistol developes higher chamber pressures and then the longer slide induces alot of LEVERAGE against the somewhat soft (for amoury steel) stainless steel frame rails and left ungreased and just what many would think is "properly lubed"?...the frame rails WILL..."gaul"...and in short order from what i unserstand and have "witnessed".

But keep'er well greased and stay away from high pressure +P loadings and they are somwewhat of a death ray tack driver thanks to the lengthened sight radius..have fun and later Bill. :cool:

Last edited:
PS: Even though the frame is SS?...it's "Ferretic SS"..magnetic with a high iron content for stainless...i.e.?..IT WILL RUST.

Knew a guy had left one under his old leaky floorboard pickup for months...his "truck pistol"..and when he went to show it to me?...omg...he was ashamed and dis-appointed...thing looked like it was painted boat anchor rust orange..and real tuff to make go away once it's in that sandblasted finish...keep it greased up with...i like "RIG"....shids almost like cosmoline! :laugh:

Didnt even get to shoot it today. The range was packed. I figure I will leave out earlier tomorrow and try it again.

So the consensus here is lube lube lube huh? I'll keep that in mind and give her a good lube job tonight. Thanks fellas!

I had one years ago as well. Nice gun but Ace is right. For a 1911 design it left alot to be desired in the area of reliability. If you plan on keeping it you should look into having the feed ramp polished because they had a tendency to jam up. Also make sure the trigger screw is properly adjusted because if it's not it may double fire or even go full auto on you until empty.
Guns worth money to the right person.
Here's one on gunbroker AMT Hardball Longslide 45 ACP used W Box etc. : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Looks Nice! Being it came from Grandpa I'd keep it, It doesnt eat anything . ( as long as its kept put up) .

I use one of those turkey injectors to apply the lithum to the rails it puts it only where you want it.:beerchug:

This gun came to the market with a lot of fan fare - I think it was an early stock competition "race" gun. If I recall. There was a long slide Browning 9mm that came on the market aroung the same time. The browning was very accurate but also a little fininicky. Unreliable. Cool gun to get as a gift.

Looks Nice! Being it came from Grandpa I'd keep it, It doesnt eat anything . ( as long as its kept put up) .

Oh im not getting rid of it. Never even crossed my mind. My grandpa is like my best friend. I'll keep it till I get old and maybe pass it down to my children or grandchildren one day. (if I ever have any, I need to get on the ball!)

I had one years ago as well. Nice gun but Ace is right. For a 1911 design it left alot to be desired in the area of reliability. If you plan on keeping it you should look into having the feed ramp polished because they had a tendency to jam up. Also make sure the trigger screw is properly adjusted because if it's not it may double fire or even go full auto on you until empty.
Guns worth money to the right person.
Here's one on gunbroker AMT Hardball Longslide 45 ACP used W Box etc. : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

True! Feed ramp polish is always a good thing for a 1911, but they called it the "Hardballer" cuz it was made to eat Mil Spec "ball" ammo, well like every other 1911 was made to do. Most of the jams were from the slide galling and it would hinder its function.
Use one of the newer lubes out there, something like MPT Firearms molybdenum synthetic.

I polish and lower the feed ramp and lower the ejection port on all my 1911's. Stone the trigger to make it a nice 3.5 lb pull. Peen and lap the slide and rails for a nice tight fit.

Great, now i have to go work on a gun...dang it! :laugh:

3-4" groups at 25 yards is horrible accuracy.

How funny, I have one just like yours! I have owned dozens of handguns and I must say, this one is the greatest and is really accurate, especially during rapid fire....I think the heavier package is why....minimal rise. It's too late to take a pic tonight but if I remember tomorrow, I'll post it here. Doyle

3-4" groups at 25 yards is horrible accuracy.

Russ, a 3-4" group @ 25 yards could all be "10 ring" hits, what are you talking about? We're not talking about a match weapon with a 1" group and tall target sights you know. This is a kick a$$ combat weapon. Doyle

What the heck, I got a camera for Christmas so I just took these 1st pics. Doyle

Mag 004.jpg

Mag 005.jpg

Back