Hard to start after riding..

Quicker Gixxer

Registered
Yes...I've searched threads and googled it, and PM'd a member...but figured I'd post to get more responses. There are tons of suggestions and possible reasons from regulator/rectifier, bad or weak battery, bad PC3's etc. Here is my specific issue and something I found that gets me by...but still wondering what I need to do to fix it right.

When I ride a short distance and shut the bike off, it struggles to start...or doesn't, even though the engine temp isn't even to the halfway point on the gauge. It turns over a couple times and "seems" like a weak battery. If I let it sit...it starts right up. I checked voltages and came up with 13.25 while off and 14-14.7 while running and reved.

Here is the strange thing... I've found that if I just push forward a little while in gear..(more like just bumping it and compressing the forks) it starts right up.

Here is part of the note the builder at EDR Performance sent me when I inquired about the engine mods.
"-JE Pistons +3mm (1397cc) pistons NOT the mega high compression ones as again, built to run on 91oct pump gas. With cylinder head and squish set, currently @13.4:1 compression ratio"

Is it just the fact that it's a higher compression and when heated up some it takes more juice to start? And me bumping it frees it up enough to make it an easier start?

I'm wondering if changing the wires to 4gauge would increase the output enough or should I go with a bigger battery? I have a stock Yuasa right now...but maybe the 1397 would require more juice? If so..I'll probably try the Ballistic 8 cell...even though it claims its only rated up to 1000cc..it does offer about 100 more CCA.

All help is good help..
Thanks..

Do you wait until the fuel system is pressurized (the white light on the dash shuts off?) I've seen people go for the starter too soon, by allowing the fuel system to fully pressurize before starting (3-5 seconds) I've had very little problems with mine starting....

Do you wait until the fuel system is pressurized (the white light on the dash shuts off?) I've seen people go for the starter too soon, by allowing the fuel system to fully pressurize before starting (3-5 seconds) I've had very little problems with mine starting....

Yes...I do wait a few seconds as I picked that up from some of the threads I've read. I'm also starting in neutral.

You probably need a bigger ( more CCA ) battery. By moving the bike while off you are probably helping.

PM GIXERHP

I have the 1441 and I am having the same issue. The factory battery will not crank it, right now I have the Shorai 325 cca, it does ok but still a little slow. I will be switching to the 24 volt system as soon as icemansid is finished building the relay for me.

I can roll and bounce mine all day and it won't crank until it cools or is boosted by a car. If the factory is actually cranking it you may be able to just upgrade to the higher lead/acid battery (230 cca's). I would have ordered the 12 cell ballistic (410 cca's) but I didn't want to wait. Lots of people on the org have said they will not have a big bore bike without a 24 volt system.

I had a similar problem last Thursday come to find out I it was the “new” battery I put on the bike two weeks ago.

You need to test the voltage WHILE it’s starting and if it drops below 10v then the battery is no good. My battery dropped all the way down to 6v so I took it back and got a new battery…problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Back