Hard starting when warm

lifguardct

Registered
When the bike is warm and I restart it, it cranks slowly a few times like a weak battery then faster and fires up. No problem when cold. The bike is a stock 06, 9 months old with 700 miles. Does it just sound like a weak battery from lack of use?

Those batteries are crap,put a new one in it and trickle charge it over night.

I think NJ is right, sounds like battery. Might need to get new battery. I have already replaced mine. The one that comes with the bike is garbage.

A hot starter motor has more resistance than a cold one, which puts more load on the battery. So, if the only symptom is it cranks slower when hot but starts fine, you probably don't have a problem. But I'd have the battery load tested to make sure.

(BusaWhipped @ Dec. 25 2006,20:18) A hot starter motor has more resistance than a cold one, which puts more load on the battery.  
+1

I bought a high output battery from schnitz racing and haven't had anymore problems
wink.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Dec. 25 2006,23:31)
(BusaWhipped @ Dec. 25 2006,20:18) A hot starter motor has more resistance than a cold one, which puts more load on the battery.  
+1

I bought a high output battery from schnitz racing and haven't had anymore problems  
wink.gif
I would like to add this would be a great group buy in March or April.

runeight...

I would get a battery tender first...9 months and only 700 miles. From that little use of the bike you need to keep the battery fresh.

If after using the tender you still notice it not cranking properly...you can always replace the battery.

My point is even a new battery that sits from lack of use is not going to last very long
wink.gif

Good advise to have the battery checked by a reputable person, and to get a battery tender.

Hi Guy's,

Have you got a product called a optimate. Connectects to the battrey terminals + / - with a push contector and regulates the charge and discharge whilst in the garage.

Costs about 20.00 popunds in the U.K.

Excellent product ?

Cheers

Keith

I had this problem on my 04.  The tech first tested the battery and said it was ok.  He determined my starter was bad.  They replaced the starter.  For a short time it worked ok. Then once again, difficult warm starts.  They then gave me a refund for the labor of the starter and put in a heavy-duty battery.  After several rides, it's ok so far.  However, I've not tested it in summer riding.  This seems to be a common problem with busas.  Wish Suzuki would address this problem.

I had this problem on my '03 way back when. New starter solved the problem.

Fortunately, it was still under the extended warranty.

--Wag--

there is a better battery yuasa ytz14 it is also more cranking amps i have had one in my bike for 2.5 years now no problems but i also have a optimate charger that i use on if i do not ride longer than 2 weeks.

Many times I read that the batterie is garbage, I have a 05 with its original batterie and it works just fine, but I have a problem starting my bike when it's stopped for 15-20 minutes.
It takes 4-5 seconds before the motor comes to life. The bike has 29000mi on it.
Does anybody know about that issue.

Thanks for the help

Many times I read that the batterie is garbage, I have a 05 with its original batterie and it works just fine, but I have a problem starting my bike when it's stopped for 15-20 minutes.
It takes 4-5 seconds before the motor comes to life. The bike has 29000mi on it.
Does anybody know about that issue.

Thanks for the help
Just like it says above;

Hot bikes require more battery juice to crank and cold bikes. This, in conjunction with the stock batteries being weak, is your problem.

Getting a battery tender can solve the problem, but it may not be as convienent. I got the high output battery from shnitz racing and its all good now.

Back