Hard shift into first gear now

880jedi

Registered
Gen I 2006 with 100K.

Just had new chain and sprockets, new cush drives, new clutch, bled the clutch master cylinder and new fluid, and new oil and filter.

Now when I shift into first gear at a stop, it's quite violent, almost like putting it into first gear without the clutch. It shifts fine in all other gears, and downshifts just fine. When the bike is cold, the first shift of the day is normal, but when it's warmed up, it's terrible. The longer I sit at a red light, the harder it shifts.

There are no leaks, and the oil is the same that I've used for years. The clutch is a little stiffer, but I think that is because of new springs.

Got any ideas as to tell my mechanic where to look next?

When you are sitting at a redlight do you

A) hold the clutch in while its in. N
B) put it in N and the release the clutch

If your holding the clutch in for some time and then put it in gear it sounds like the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder.
Next time put the bike in N pump the clutch lever a few times (4-5) then put it in gear. Problem change?

If your holding the clutch in for some time and then put it in gear it sounds like the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder.
Next time put the bike in N pump the clutch lever a few times (4-5) then put it in gear. Problem change?

I always go to neutral at a stop. I'll try the pump method on the way home tonight and report back.

No joy on the ride home. Same issue, but I did find that the crankcase was overfilled. I drained some out, and tomorrow will be another test ride.

You might try turning the idle down just a tad.

It's not unusual for the bike to lurch a little when you engage 1st gear without the bike in motion. Every bike I own does that. High idle will compound the issue. Nothing to worry about.

However, Yank is correct. If the clutch is dragging you should resolve that issue.

No change. It still is a hard engagement into first gear. The idle is set at 1000 rpm, so that hasn't changed. Is the clutch push rod an avenue to look at?

I have an appointment Saturday to start looking into retracing the steps.

If I shift into 2nd gear instead of first, it's very hard too. If I shift from 2nd back to first, it's normal. I'm lost.

The strange thing is, when the engine is cold, it shifts normal. When warmed up, it's a hard shift.

It would scare me to think your mechanic isn't detail oriented enough to fill your engine to Its proper oil level. There is no telling where the problem lays with an incompetent person doing all that work on a motorcycle.

You still haven't answered my question about the pumping of the clutch. I am trying to help bjut if your not giving me feedback I can't help you troubleshoot your issue.

Remember when it heats up your clutch fluid also heats up changing its viscosity.
This is leading me to the hydraulics. I am needing to know if pumping the clutch a few times changes the problem

Yes, master cylinder
No, slave cylinder

No joy on the ride home. Same issue, but I did find that the crankcase was overfilled. I drained some out, and tomorrow will be another test ride.

This was my reply to the pumping the clutch. Sorry if I didn't relay that message properly.

Remember when it heats up your clutch fluid also heats up changing its viscosity.
This is leading me to the hydraulics. I am needing to know if pumping the clutch a few times changes the problem

Yes, master cylinder
No, slave cylinder

The fluid is new, and the master cylinder was bled when the new clutch was installed.

Got it. Would the issue be that the master cylinder is failing, and not pushing enough pressure to the slave cylinder? I'm not totally sure of what part does what function, and in which order? Care to give me a quick education? :laugh:

Got it. Would the issue be that the master cylinder is failing, and not pushing enough pressure to the slave cylinder? I'm not totally sure of what part does what function, and in which order? Care to give me a quick education? :laugh:

The master cylinder is what builds the hydraulic pressure with a piston and in a bore it is then transferred through the line/hose to the slave cylinder which a piston is then moved under the force of the fluid resulting in moving the push rod which pushes the clutch cap increasing the spring pressure creating a gap between the clutch fibers and steels. What has happened is your master cylinder is wore not creating enough pressure to move the slave cylinder to itz full potential.

Thanks for the tutorial. :thumbsup:

Smart money would change the slave and rebuild the master at the same time?

Back