Hard Cornering

brpo, 100% right on the road since we were on it for the first time. To be fair I have to get my buddy to weigh in for himself. Thanks again, I appreciate the comments of all who have shown concern for our safety .

Recently, I have been able to ride far beyond the level of the ride into the dirt. I have to be very thankful to my buddy for suggesting I start hanging off. Its working wonders. The other major part of it has been studying in the California Superbike Cornering Forums. I also found out today that I have a bad front tire this time and that will be corrected pronto. It was a bad rear tire last time that sent me into a deadly situation during a straight up ride to the Formula One Motorcyle Store. I had a bad flat, if not blow out, on the way there. They came and got me right away thankfully.

Powerhouse found my front tire problem and Frank did several small but importan things to get my bike right during a routing oil and filter change. Thanks Frank.

Skydvr...I have the Code books including The Soft Science of Road Racing which is kind of a workbook. I'm also on the Cornering Forums that are attached to the California Superbike School website. They are very interesting and contain many many Keith Code unpublished articles. I think I'm going to get the interactive CD and the book on cd. I've read the book a few times and watch the dvd plenty...both of which are available free on the internet in pdf and utube. I'd like to have the book on cd as it would be another form to absorb and since I find his approach so helpful. He mentions the no brakes training in Soft Science and I've experimented with it and have gotten to the point where I use my brakes very sparingly when I practice cornering. The result to this point is I need to stay on the gas deeper into the turn as invariably I end up going too slow through the turn. That's ok for now but the point is the no brakes approach is very helpful and interesting when you find out that you've been charging the turn and wasting lots of energy and time. It seems like maybe you've been to the School.

I'm sorry I'm just now seeing your post.

I've got the Code books (TWT 1 and 2) in .pdf if you want them PM me and I'll figure out how to get where you can upload them. Nope, I've never been to his school, but have talked to several that have. Itching to ride one of their S1000RR's really bad.

Hopefully you understand the constructive criticism you are getting is only because other members don't want to see you end up as a statistic. Do we all ride outside our limits every once in a while? Sure we do. Are we lucky? Yes, we are. Some of us haven't been so lucky at one time or another...

My personal experience is that I wasn't a very good street rider. I thought having a run-off, or crossing the double yellow was "part of learning to get faster". Lucky for me, I never got hurt, and some other members here took the time to convince me that's NOT the way to becoming a better rider, and encouraged me to do a trackday. Man, did I find out REAL quick I didn't know SQUAT about riding. I know a lot more about what I and my motorcycle can do now, which makes me a better street rider and MAY help me survive a bad situation.

As far as 'staying on the gas deeper into the turn'. Early braking is a common thing riders do, but it's most likely the SAFEST mistake you can make, especially if you can't see thru the corner. You are riding a big bike that's harder to brake - the Busa performs best if you go into the turn at a controllable speed, but makes up for its weight/mass on the corner EXIT. On the track, smaller bikes are gonna outbrake you all day going into the corner, but coming out is where the Busa shines.

Good luck and stay safe!

After George scares the p iss out of himself in a corner, puckers up so tight you couldn't drive a thumb tack in his a$$ with a ten pound hammer, jumps on the rear brake and leaves a "Tire Snake" as he stands his bike up and runs off the corner, I certainly wouldn't call him an advanced rider. It appears both of you could use some serious help in judgment. Your choice of following another rider so close you couldn't avoid a collision when he had an issue without hitting the dirt was very poor judgment on your part.

Good Luck on your journey as you climb the skills ladder. It can be a long an treacherous journey. You will reach the upper levels much faster and safer with track time and instruction.

A track day coach suggesting track day lessons... fancy that.

Maybe suggest road craft courses on how to ride on the road safely THEN hit the track might be better... less $$ motivated advice perhaps?

Jza

But then again... maybe they paint white lines down the middle of the road and cars drive the other way on your track Tuff?

Well....I'm NOT a track coach, and I'd recommend trackdays. Unless you want unlimited speeding/reckless driving citations on your record, that is...

Don't let the flamebaiter bother you SteveO...

Safety first is the main thing and like others said, Know your limits. One bad spill can change your life forever. Be safe

Some most recent committments: no lane splitting, keep an eye on speedo, check lights on first ride of day, knock around for loose bolts/fasteners, use mirrors frequently, keep a sharp eye out for LEO/display PAL card in wallat, buy radar detector, carefully choose places for blasts, ride same very difficult route every day minimum and mke friends with residents and LEO in area; use courtesy and tact in general, check tires frequently find second home on route for convenience, investment and on water as gift to long suffering wife, involve wife with other m/c rider/ racer wives to educate and relieve and relieve anxiety. Attend Keith Code California Superbike School Augest 26-7; Code RACE, and track day at least once per year with regional club, get proper rest and nutrition, perform as much wok on bike myself as possible, Carpenter/Powerhouse prepared race motor, add appropriate suspension. This is my current partial list.

Add list: keep new (hooray!) union job and move up quickly to fund road racing. Make as many group rides as possible and help new and unskilled riders.

If you get bitten by the trackday bug....god help you.. :)

Go read the smacktalk thread you'll see what happens when you get 'bit'....

Back